• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Power bank possible???

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
I would be tempted if a F-150 had 30 miles of electric only range in a plug in hybrid.
I am going to show a little bias here; but I detest Plug-in Hybrids.

Mostly because they have very short range, which is fine by itself. But the real issue I have with them is that the onboard chargers are always pretty weak. Those things you think of as chargers on the wall are really EVSE’s that deliver power, and the chargers are actually part of the vehicle, usually mounted near the EV motor.

So, I drive an EV that has no means of charging apart from plugging into an EVSE. I have pulled up to L2 chargers, only to find a plug-in hybrid parked there.

However, because their chargers are so anemic, they can take 4 hours to charge at an EVSE to get their 25-30 mile range. Meanwhile, my car (usually charges to 100, battery is currently broken) would charge to 100+ miles in less than that time.

Realistically, I shouldn’t bitch about this, but it feels like getting ICE’d at a level 2 charger when one of these plug-in hybrids takes up a spot for hours to get only a few miles.

Then again, I usually drive my EV within such short distances it has rarely mattered. I think I have only been in a “I need to find a charging area or I won’t get home!” About 5 or 6 times in nearly 5 years of owning an EV. And two of those were deliberate circumstances to just try going as far as we could.
Sponsored

TF1000

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Prius Prime, 1996 Ram 1500
However, because their chargers are so anemic, they can take 4 hours to charge at an EVSE to get their 25-30 mile range. Meanwhile, my car (usually charges to 100, battery is currently broken) would charge to 100+ miles in less than that time.
Wonder which PHEVs take 4 hours on Level 2 to get 30 miles? Our Prime takes about 1 hr 40 min.

There is plenty of bad charging etiquette to go around, not just PHEVs. There is a grocery store we go to (has one level 2 charger) which is out of our range round trip. If we could charge there for 15 minutes it would be enough. 9 out of 10 times there is the same Nissan Leaf there using the charger. I assume they live near there and it's become their private charger.

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Wonder which PHEVs take 4 hours on Level 2 to get 30 miles? Our Prime takes about 1 hr 40 min.

There is plenty of bad charging etiquette to go around, not just PHEVs. There is a grocery store we go to (has one level 2 charger) which is out of our range round trip. If we could charge there for 15 minutes it would be enough. 9 out of 10 times there is the same Nissan Leaf there using the charger. I assume they live near there and it's become their private charger.
I think they have improved since I last looked, IIRC the Chevy Volt could take 4 hours to charge the small battery.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
My first EV was a BMW i3 with range extender. On paper I should have been able to make the 65 mile trip each day on battery and usually did but just barely. I spend most of the winters driving a loaner car because the REX was always throwing a code. Then you had to change oil and filter and put gas in. What a hassle. Now I agree that a lot of people could love a truck that had PHEV. Once again you have to pay for that somehow. More complex. more hassle, same oil changes and filter and sheeze.
My current EV all I did last year was put in WW fluid and rotate tires. Noticed that the rotors lacking being used so I ran a few days without one pedal. It is complex, unknown to the majority of mechanics and so forth. Expensive to replace battery too.
Sponsored