• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Power bank possible???

ShirBlackspots

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Ford F-150 XLT 5.4L
Towing at the truck's max capacity will reduce range significantly (just as it would in an ICE vehicle). Light towing won't affect the range as much.
Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
They already make EV charging battery banks. They aren’t cheap though. Like someone said, it’s much easier to stop at a fast charger or if you’re really going deep in the wilderness bring a gas generator and some gas cans.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
They already make EV charging battery banks. They aren’t cheap though. Like someone said, it’s much easier to stop at a fast charger or if you’re really going deep in the wilderness bring a gas generator and some gas cans.
"Bring a generator and some gas cans" really defeats the purpose of the vehicle. also from what I have seen people are generally not very successful charging from generators. You would also want an inverter generator and one that large is going to be very expensive. 11kw is going to take overnight to charge

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Why does charging from a generator defeat the purpose of the vehicle? They don’t make you sign a contract that prevents from using gas to charge the truck when you buy it. A 7.6 kW inverter generator will extend your reach from a charging location by a few hundred miles on a weekend trip. That will open up the use cases for people want it as their only vehicle.

$2000

https://www.harborfreight.com/9500-...qQtuP0MTalK8VthzYPXXwujudA-HhtiBoClmEQAvD_BwE

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Why does charging from a generator defeat the purpose of the vehicle? They don’t make you sign a contract that prevents from using gas to charge the truck when you buy it. A 7.6 kW inverter generator will extend your reach from a charging location by a few hundred miles on a weekend trip. That will open up the use cases for people want it as their only vehicle.

$2000

https://www.harborfreight.com/9500-...qQtuP0MTalK8VthzYPXXwujudA-HhtiBoClmEQAvD_BwE
That model only has a 30 amp outlet. If you were to get one that has a 50 amp outlet then you can charge the battery in 14/19 hours. This one will charge slower than that.

Sponsored

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner
Any underground miners on here? Maybe someday EV companies will develop a battery exchange station where you just switch batteries, no need to wait for a charge.?

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner
How reliable are charging station anyway? My solar installer told me he had an issue with two units that didn’t work and he almost didn’t make it home with his Bolt.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
That model only has a 30 amp outlet. If you were to get one that has a 50 amp outlet then you can charge the battery in 14/19 hours. This one will charge slower than that.
I don’t see why that’s a problem. It will give you 200 miles overnight, that’s a significant extension of range outside of public charging.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
How reliable are charging station anyway? My solar installer told me he had an issue with two units that didn’t work and he almost didn’t make it home with his Bolt.
Any day Bolt doesn't end in a fiery inferno is a good day ;)

Sponsored

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
I don’t see why that’s a problem. It will give you 200 miles overnight, that’s a significant extension of range outside of public charging.

You might want to look at the fuel consumption of that generator. It will run out of gas every 4 hours. They are never rated for 100% duty so you cannot run it overnight while pulling full amps out of it.
A hybrid F150 is a better tool for the job if you have range anxiety.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
You might want to look at the fuel consumption of that generator. It will run out of gas every 4 hours. They are never rated for 100% duty so you cannot run it overnight while pulling full amps out of it.
A hybrid F150 is a better tool for the job if you have range anxiety.

I'm not talking about range anxiety. I'm talking about extending the use cases for someone who wants an EV truck. Yes, it's fairly obvious that you need enough gas to power the generator over night, or longer, and it won't be a small amount. If your ICE F-150 gets 18mpg and you wanted to take it 200 miles outside the range of a gas station you'd need three 5 gallon gas cans. The generator I linked has a claimed conversion efficiency of 5.15 kWh per gallon of gasoline. Assuming 2 mi/kwh efficiency for the Lightning, that's a little over 10mpg. Three full 5g gas cans and a full tank in the generator will get you about 225 miles of range.

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
The range of an ICE F150 is approx 400 miles. Where you are going that is 200 miles from the last gas station? I can't fathom going 400 miles, 200 miles each way, from the nearest gas station. I'm not even sure such a place exists in the US except in Alaska.

Care to share your road trip plans so we understand?

The duty cycle of that gen is not 100%. You will kill it in a day or two. Using it to charge an EV is not the same as a campsite, welder, etc.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I can't even imagine how expensive those campers are going to be. An airstream with 200+ kWh battery!!!
Probably same $15k difference between EV and ICE. Solar panels on roof of trailer, 20kWh a day.. Solar tonneau cover on 10kWh a day, can run the campsite and recharge the truck, no propane.
Sponsored