Sponsored

Pinched valve cover gasket?

Murrk847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 5.0 F150 STX
This pic is looking directly in from the passenger side wheel well.

Is this improper head gasket installation or just goop from the timing cover. Straight down is the timing cover line. Theres some brown gunk which could be oil seeping but there does not appear to be fresh oil nor has it gotten worse in the 16k miles I have had the truck.

Anyone else's look like this before I bring it to the dealers attention? Obviously Im not waterfalling oil so its not a today problem.

Ford F-150 Pinched valve cover gasket? unnamed
Sponsored

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Timing cover sealant, it gets placed at top and bottom corners where it meets oil pan gasket and valve cover gaskets. I also have Ford working on installing polished aluminum valve covers for the 5.0 soon. They agreed “V8 owners deserve a little more classy look that EcoBoosters” cheers :beer:

OP
OP
Murrk847

Murrk847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 5.0 F150 STX
Timing cover sealant, it gets placed at top and bottom corners where it meets oil pan gasket and valve cover gaskets. I also have Ford working on installing polished aluminum valve covers for the 5.0 soon. They agreed “V8 owners deserve a little more classy look that EcoBoosters” cheers :beer:
Dang that will look real nice. How much is that setting you back? Please post pics when it happens.

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
As said, that is normal. Just did this to my Mustang a couple weeks ago.

Sponsored

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Dang that will look real nice. How much is that setting you back? Please post pics when it happens.
I was just messing around on the OEM polished valve covers lol, I don’t believe anyone makes polished ones for the latest 5.0 due to the direct injection pump and associated fuel rails complicating things. It’s normal though. When I did the timing job on my old 5.4 the service manual tells you to add a dab of gasket maker at those locations.

OP
OP
Murrk847

Murrk847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 5.0 F150 STX
I was just messing around on the OEM polished valve covers lol, I don’t believe anyone makes polished ones for the latest 5.0 due to the direct injection pump and associated fuel rails complicating things. It’s normal though. When I did the timing job on my old 5.4 the service manual tells you to add a dab of gasket maker at those locations.
What about the brown spots? Oil? road grime?

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
It's probably just coked oil there. Source could be a mystery. As long as there are no active leaks, it's not of concern.
Sponsored