First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Employee
I had a burning smell when in Tow Haul when I first started towing, but it went away. I think it was the Turbo running.
I don't think it's the turbo as the gauge did not show it running while driving since we are mainly on flat streets. Also, when I drove before when turbo engaged, the same smell did not happen and that was in normal mode.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
My 2023 Powerboost starts smelling oil or other fluid burning in tow haul mode.
My Powerboost can’t smell anything, but it’s a 302A and didn’t come with all the fancy features.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I was not in Tow/Haul Mode for this. Went over South Pass east to west in Wyoming. Had transmission in manual #8 to minimize shifting and the dashboard gauges to read engine oil and boost pressures. After leveling out on top shifted the gauges back to oil pressure and transmission temp. The transmission temp was pegged high and noted some smell of hot transmission fluid. Continued on a short distance to a rest stop & pulled in. Temp had dropped out of pegged high. Let engine idle. Temps returned to normal. Observed a small puddle of transmission fluid on pavement (maybe 1 1/2" diameter). All was then normal & finished drive home (~180 miles). Had dealer change oil & take sample. No visual evidence of damage. Oil sample results showed no damage or out of the ordinary chemistry values. Just last night drove about 80 miles finishing with a 4 mile run into home in 4WD low. At the end had an odor of transmission fluid, but no evidence of oil overflow. Curious.

OP
OP

1stF150Powerboost

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Employee
I was not in Tow/Haul Mode for this. Went over South Pass east to west in Wyoming. Had transmission in manual #8 to minimize shifting and the dashboard gauges to read engine oil and boost pressures. After leveling out on top shifted the gauges back to oil pressure and transmission temp. The transmission temp was pegged high and noted some smell of hot transmission fluid. Continued on a short distance to a rest stop & pulled in. Temp had dropped out of pegged high. Let engine idle. Temps returned to normal. Observed a small puddle of transmission fluid on pavement (maybe 1 1/2" diameter). All was then normal & finished drive home (~180 miles). Had dealer change oil & take sample. No visual evidence of damage. Oil sample results showed no damage or out of the ordinary chemistry values. Just last night drove about 80 miles finishing with a 4 mile run into home in 4WD low. At the end had an odor of transmission fluid, but no evidence of oil overflow. Curious.
Wow, that is interesting. I assume you mentioned to the dealer the puddle of transmission fluid?

Sponsored

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Wow, that is interesting. I assume you mentioned to the dealer the puddle of transmission fluid?
Yes, I spoke to them about what happened (incuding the puddle) so that on changing oil & filter, they were alerted to look for indication of damage. They found zero evidence of damage. I've had good experience with this dealer.

OP
OP

1stF150Powerboost

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Employee
Yes, I spoke to them about what happened (incuding the puddle) so that on changing oil & filter, they were alerted to look for indication of damage. They found zero evidence of damage. I've had good experience with this dealer.
Ok, thank you. It's interesting to get feedback also from others. I will definitely get with the dealer to get this checked.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Ok, thank you. It's interesting to get feedback also from others. I will definitely get with the dealer to get this checked.
My take on this is that the amount of oil lost by overheating was small. I had two adults and some "stuff." Not much in the bed. Was shocked when saw the overheat. Never seen that before and been over South Pass many times, usually in "D." But there are three humps along the way and the shifting back & forth frequent, so this time I thought I'd use the single gear.

Last edited:
OP
OP

1stF150Powerboost

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Employee
I think what HammaMan meant to say is "You should NOT smell anything in any mode". '22 502A PowerBoost and I smell nothing in any mode and I use Tow Haul frequently.

How much weight are you pulling and how loaded up is the truck vs. rated payload when you are using Tow-Haul?
It is a regular trailer with 4 Christmas trees.
Sponsored