Sponsored

Full feature tow mirror swap (Lariat 501a)

aclosedmind

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 501a Powerboost
Hey all,

I have a Lariat 501a with full feature mirrors - heated, power folding, BLIS, 360 camera, zone lighting. I ordered the ridiculously expensive full feature tow mirrors to swap out (chrome capped, BLIS, heated, power fold, 360 camera, etc). Has anyone done that specific swap? See a lot of folks who've done the swap with lesser featured mirrors, but not these specific ones. It seems pretty straightforward and plug & play with the exception of the additional switch in the driver door for the telescoping. Just looking for any "gotchas" I might have missed before I do the swap.

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP

aclosedmind

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Quick update from my efforts this morning to swap these out....

*mostly* painless install, though taking the door panel off to swap controls isn't the most fun thing ever. And of course once all was installed I noticed the driver's door mirror was damaged (broken plastic) so I need to replace it. Fortunately Sam Galloway Ford was awesome to deal with and will send me replacements for both then I can ship back the broken ones at no charge.

Unfortunately the power telescoping button isn't working so I'm stuck in "moose mode" for now with the mirrors extended. I'm not sure if Forscan changes are needed to enable this, but the switch is new and the harness plugged right in so unless I didn't clip it in all the way...

Tried the 360 camera and the passenger camera is just showing blue but the drivers side (ironically the physically damaged mirror) seems to work fine... I guess its a good thing they are sending me two?

OP
OP

aclosedmind

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just saw on the spreadsheet this for the DDM. After this work call I'll give that a shot and see if that fixes it. Fingers crossed. The camera issue I'm not too worried about unless it persists after replacing when the new ones get in (unless someone knows if I need to do a calibration or something).

740/741-03-04**xxxxxxxx--Telescopic Mirror: 00=disabled, 01=enabled

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A SuperCab 3.5EB, Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd
Remember to enable tow mirror running/marker lights in Forscan too. Let me know if you need help finding the thread for those code changes.

OP
OP

aclosedmind

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Oh yeah, if you have that handy that would be awesome. The puddle lamps are working but I didn't have a chance to check the others. My prior mirrors had them (the non towing full feature mirrors) so I just assumed it would work but if there are more forscan changes needed I'll want to do those when I do the telescoping thing here in a few minutes when my coworkers stop jabbering ;)

Sponsored

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A SuperCab 3.5EB, Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd
OP
OP

aclosedmind

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Awesome thanks so much!

OP
OP

aclosedmind

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forscan fixed the telescoping, but I'm going to admit ignorance and say for the running lights I'm not sure it made any difference (or what I'm looking for).

Side spot lights, puddle lamps, turn signals all work. Thinking the camera for the passenger just needs to be calibrated with FDRS now but I'll wait until the replacement driver mirror arrives

Bonefitty

First Name
Boyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Hey all,

I have a Lariat 501a with full feature mirrors - heated, power folding, BLIS, 360 camera, zone lighting. I ordered the ridiculously expensive full feature tow mirrors to swap out (chrome capped, BLIS, heated, power fold, 360 camera, etc). Has anyone done that specific swap? See a lot of folks who've done the swap with lesser featured mirrors, but not these specific ones. It seems pretty straightforward and plug & play with the exception of the additional switch in the driver door for the telescoping. Just looking for any "gotchas" I might have missed before I do the swap.

Thanks!
what color are your regular mirrors you took off? I’m actually looking to remove my full-feature tow mirrors from my Avalanche Grey 501a Lariat.

OP
OP

aclosedmind

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
They are the chrome package mirrors, but they are spoken for by someone on the forum in trade. If that changes I'll be happy to let you know

Sponsored

Bonefitty

First Name
Boyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If anyone is looking for tow mirrors, I’m looking to trade for standard full-feature mirrors in Avalanche Grey or Black. My tow mirrors are Black.

skiteton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat PB | 2022 Explorer ST
If anyone is looking for tow mirrors, I’m looking to trade for standard full-feature mirrors in Avalanche Grey or Black. My tow mirrors are Black.
Are your mirrors power fold and extend?

skiteton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat PB | 2022 Explorer ST
@Bonefitty Let me know if you'd be interested in swapping. Mine are Iconic Silver w/o cameras but they do have power fold, heat, and BLIS.

When I ordered my truck last year, the tow mirrors had balanced out. My dealer encouraged me to remove them from the order to ensure it got built. Glad to have the truck but would have liked to have the tow mirrors!

Bonefitty

First Name
Boyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@Bonefitty Let me know if you'd be interested in swapping. Mine are Iconic Silver w/o cameras but they do have power fold, heat, and BLIS.

When I ordered my truck last year, the tow mirrors had balanced out. My dealer encouraged me to remove them from the order to ensure it got built. Glad to have the truck but would have liked to have the tow mirrors!
Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it, but I think I’ll pass. I really want the cameras, love the 360 view! Good luck.
Sponsored