Oil pan/main seal leak

Rkh51

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep jl Toyota rav4
Anyone have trouble with the oil pan/rear main seal took the truck in for an oil change report says oil around the pan. Didn’t know if this was a common isssue
Thank you
Sponsored

Tomatoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer XLT, 2017 Ford Escape SE, F-150
Anyone have trouble with the oil pan/rear main seal took the truck in for an oil change report says oil around the pan. Didn’t know if this was a common isssue
Thank you
Which engine?

gagliano7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 4x4 XL STX BAP 5.0 3:73
See if it leaking by your oil filter. There is a TSB for that. I assume you have the 5.0.

jacob.hinkston

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jacobhinkston.com
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 5.0 401A
Occupation
Full-Stack Software Engineer
Hopefully this thread isn't completely dead at this point, but my '23 5.0 is at my local dealer to have an oil leak inspected. At first I noticed it was a small drip, started at the rear of the the oil-pan, started dropping off the bell-housing front-plate. The leak stopped and I left it alone for about a month.

Last week there was a much larger oil spot in my garage, to my findings, it is now leaking out of the entire oil-pan seal. Hopefully there is a quick turnaround for this issue and Ford can fix this in a timely fashion.

Did you ever get this fixed? What was the solution?

Sponsored

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
Rear main seals are common leaks in engines and have been for over 50 years.

My two last mustangs had this issue, both fixed under warranty and never leaked again, both different generations too.

jacob.hinkston

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jacobhinkston.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Well, that's reassuring (?). Are you implying that a rear main seal is not a likely culprit for my case? or are you emphasizing the severity of the likelihood that my vehicle is suffering from just that (at 4000 miles).

savage250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, 2020 F350, 2020 Bullitt, 2020 Aviator
Not sure if it's the same or not, but the oil pan gasket had to be replaced on my 2020 Mustang with less than 10k on it. Dealer said they had done a few with low miles as well but it didn't seem common.

jacob.hinkston

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jacobhinkston.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Not sure if it's the same or not, but the oil pan gasket had to be replaced on my 2020 Mustang with less than 10k on it. Dealer said they had done a few with low miles as well but it didn't seem common.
I think that the 18-21 5.0s had a composite oil pan. Not sure that makes much of a difference, but they had an issues with it from the get-go. I think the issues may seldom be related.
Sponsored