First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 XL on order 67 Dodge Coronet 440
Occupation
Retired
I know in the earlier days of turbos (ie SAAB), it was recommended to let the engine idle for a few seconds after stopping to allow the turbos to spool down while still having oil pressure. If you shut the engine down right after parking, the oil would “coke” on the bearings of the turbo leading to their demise.

Anyone installed a oil accumulator on their motors to supply oil to the turbos after engine shutdown, or is it even needed with modern turbos? I know guys that put hair dryers on their ricers or drag cars have been known to do it, just wondering if anyone has done it on a truck. And if so, are there any companies offering kits to do it with?
Sponsored

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
I know in the earlier days of turbos (ie SAAB), it was recommended to let the engine idle for a few seconds after stopping to allow the turbos to spool down while still having oil pressure. If you shut the engine down right after parking, the oil would “coke” on the bearings of the turbo leading to their demise.

Anyone installed a oil accumulator on their motors to supply oil to the turbos after engine shutdown, or is it even needed with modern turbos? I know guys that put hair dryers on their ricers or drag cars have been known to do it, just wondering if anyone has done it on a truck. And if so, are there any companies offering kits to do it with?
I had a buddy in high school in the late 80s that had RX-7s that required the cool down procedure. I don't think modern turbos require that anymore.

kb2755

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT 302A Sport
I had a buddy in high school in the late 80s that had RX-7s that required the cool down procedure. I don't think modern turbos require that anymore.
I certainly hope not. I didn't consider this on my past two turbo cars! BMW 335d and Subaru WRX
Sponsored