Odd sound coming from behind dash?

{tpc}

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 302a High SuperCrew 3.5 EB MaxTow
I have yet to capture this sound, but thought I would ask if anyone has it as well, and what if anything to fix it?

Basically, only while driving, I can hear what sounds like something "bumping" around back there. It does not happen while idling or stopped. I wouldn't call a "rattle" because to me that would sound like a baby rattle. Its deeper than that. You can hear it more when going over washboard style bumps in the road.

Nothing feels loose, I just had it in for service so its not the axle bolt thing. I suppose I can empty the glove box and center console to eliminate that from contention, but I don't think thats where its coming from. I have some stuff in rear underneath storage but thats packed pretty tightly and the sound is resonating from the front, not behind me.

Of course the fix is to turn the radio up, but it is annoying me. Plus you can kind of feel the noise through the gas pedal as well...or well I can feel something through the gas pedal and it occurs at that same time too.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
That's just your gremlin behind there. Careful to not drive so recklessly, if you thought he was bad when he was healthy, imagine what goes wrong when he's been knocked around a bit!

Seriously, I wish I could help, but I have no clue. I'm just bringing some levity to the situation. :)

2.7EcoBoost

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 4x4
Nothing feels loose, I just had it in for service so its not the axle bolt thing
I have a rattle coming from behind dash. Dealer verified and basically said they it's not bad enough to locate. I feel like it could be coming from the driver side front wheel/brake area and transmitting up through and sounding like it's coming from A-pillar/dash/cowl area. What is the "axle bolt thing" you speak of? I have been searching this site for over an hour in hopes of finding something related. Thanks!

OP
OP

{tpc}

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some MaxTow vehicles with the 9.75 floating rear axle are shearing the head of the bolt off that holds part of the axle together. (Forgive me if I don’t know exactly how to explain it)

It ends up rattling around inside the space in the rear wheel. Some of said they hear it in the truck as well.

OP
OP

{tpc}

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have a rattle coming from behind dash. Dealer verified and basically said they it's not bad enough to locate. I feel like it could be coming from the driver side front wheel/brake area and transmitting up through and sounding like it's coming from A-pillar/dash/cowl area. What is the "axle bolt thing" you speak of? I have been searching this site for over an hour in hopes of finding something related. Thanks!
FWIW, my behind dash rattle seems to coincide with vibration in the gas pedal when going over bumps in the road. It may just be that this vibration and the sound together makes it stand out that much more.

I am leery of bringing it into the deal for this issue alone, as I feel them tearing apart the dash to look for the phantom noise causer might create more similar issues. I've heard of a bracket screw that holds the sync screen in place may be the cause, but again with this plastic dash stuff, the more you take it apart the less "tight" it is, and more chance of more rattles.

I haven't looked under the hood yet for anything loose. Inside the truck, the footwell panels on both sides of the center console were loose, as well as the insulation on the passenger side under the glove box. I pushed those all in tight, and thought it helped, but later on it was back.

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I have yet to capture this sound, but thought I would ask if anyone has it as well, and what if anything to fix it?

Basically, only while driving, I can hear what sounds like something "bumping" around back there. It does not happen while idling or stopped. I wouldn't call a "rattle" because to me that would sound like a baby rattle. Its deeper than that. You can hear it more when going over washboard style bumps in the road.

Nothing feels loose, I just had it in for service so its not the axle bolt thing. I suppose I can empty the glove box and center console to eliminate that from contention, but I don't think thats where its coming from. I have some stuff in rear underneath storage but thats packed pretty tightly and the sound is resonating from the front, not behind me.

Of course the fix is to turn the radio up, but it is annoying me. Plus you can kind of feel the noise through the gas pedal as well...or well I can feel something through the gas pedal and it occurs at that same time too.

Thoughts?
Hi there, Anthony! Go ahead and send us a private message with your VIN and dealer info, I’d be happy to look into this for you. Thank you!

OP
OP

{tpc}

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So I was able to take a look at what I believe is a 2021 lariat that had everything out of it. At first I thought it was the drive by wire system not being bolted tightly enough, since when I hear the noise, I also feel it in the pedal as well as the steering wheel. But fine feels really tight, at least in comparison to the one I could look at. Its not the brake either as I've held that tightly while the noise happens and no change.

I looked at the steering wheel from behind the dash essentially, and I can't see anything in there where it could vibrate and make noise, but again I think its a 21 not a 22 like mine. So then I looked at the steering column knuckle and how it passes through the firewall. I didn't see anything in the knuckle but I suppose mine could be loose. That would be a major defect because how they look to be made, it doesn't look like it could be anything but tight.

The only thing I did notice is I could create some noise by grabbing that steering shaft and moving it left and right through the firewall. Needless to say, they don't normally move like that. What was making the noise was that it was bouncing off some nearby stuff under the hood.

So next thing is to check and see if there is anything close to the steering shaft under the hood.

Ag_Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 4x4
Anthony,

Your description of sound is exactly what mine is doing. I can feel it slightly in pedal or steering wheel, but also sounds like it could be in dash. it makes sound over any slight bump in road, and is driving me crazy. Did you ever figure out the issue?

OP
OP

{tpc}

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I thought I updated, but maybe it got into another thread.

Anyway, there were 2 things at play. One was some sort of bracket that wasn’t tight behind the instrument cluster.

The second part and probably the most important one was a loose tie rod end from the factory. It was so loose for long enough that it had rounded off the threads and they had to replace the whole thing. And then an alignment after.

They may have also replaced a steering column shaft as well, but that didn’t fix the issue.

Sponsored

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost

Anyway, there were 2 things at play. One was some sort of bracket that wasn’t tight behind the instrument cluster.

The second part and probably the most important one was a loose tie rod end from the factory. It was so loose for long enough that it had rounded off the threads and they had to replace the whole thing. And then an alignment after.

They may have also replaced a steering column shaft as well, but that didn’t fix the issue.
Thanks for posting the update! I really need to get under my truck more often and check things out. Interesting about the tie-rod end...

OP
OP

{tpc}

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for posting the update! I really need to get under my truck more often and check things out. Interesting about the tie-rod end...
The tie rod end was really the deal. It was so weird sounding and it wouldn’t start off that way but after about 10-15 min of driving the sound would be there. I think more related to bumps and stuff.

But that sound drove me nuts!!

21lariatspprt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat

Huge favor, anyway to get any more info on this bracket? Can you ask your service guy? Or heck, what dealer and service guy and I'll call...i have same sound and its driving me nuts!
Sponsored