Sponsored

New Powerboost (delivered 08/13/2022) Scratched and was fixed by paint touchup pen.

Gluvva10

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tbd
Hey Guys!

I recently took delivery of my F150 Powerboost 2022 about 10 days ago. Today while I was washing my truck I noticed there was a decent scratch on the passenger side front door edge by the fenders. The scratch feel rough and it looks like it was repaired terribly with a paint pen that doesn't seem to match the rapid red color of the truck. Am I asking for too much for the dealer to fix this? On top of this I also found a dent right on the hood which the dealer will be fixing. Photo attached.

I have sent this to my sales guy and has not responded yet.

Ford F-150 New Powerboost (delivered 08/13/2022) Scratched and was fixed by paint touchup pen. IMG_1212
Sponsored

towpro

First Name
will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat Powerboost
it sucks when you find stuff like that. Especially after you bought it. somebody wacked the shi@ out of that door, and knew they did it and hoped to get away with it. on my ranger the door was bent like it looked like it was opened to far before they put the door latch stops on it, but I never caught it.

OP
OP

Gluvva10

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tbd
it sucks when you find stuff like that. Especially after you bought it. somebody wacked the shi@ out of that door, and knew they did it and hoped to get away with it. on my ranger the door was bent like it looked like it was opened to far before they put the door latch stops on it, but I never caught it.
Thats exactly what I thought. Someone from the dealer dinged it and said fuck it ill try to cover it up.
Well, it seems they almost succeeded in trying to cover it up since I just noticed it today.

After all the shit that this dealer pulled just before wrapping up the deal and this is the type of shit they gave me....

Tobstertx3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
If they’re a shitty dealer, wouldn’t surprise me if they deny it was done prior to delivery.

Tharnett78

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost, 2008 F150
Occupation
Gas Plant Operator
That sucks bud. What other kind of shit did they pull on you?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Gluvva10

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tbd
If they’re a shitty dealer, wouldn’t surprise me if they deny it was done prior to delivery.
I mean if they used that excuse I will absolutely be pissed off. I mean
That sucks bud. What other kind of shit did they pull on you?
Oh man! Long story, but basically had a deal in place with the sales person and last minute the Sales manager said no not going to happen. The build on the truck was exactly what i was looking for and could not find anything similar, so I had to basically take it. Now that being said, still got a decent deal but not what we agreed on to begin with. Definitely won't be going back there after all of this shit is sorted out.

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
Hey Guys!

I recently took delivery of my F150 Powerboost 2022 about 10 days ago. Today while I was washing my truck I noticed there was a decent scratch on the passenger side front door edge by the fenders. The scratch feel rough and it looks like it was repaired terribly with a paint pen that doesn't seem to match the rapid red color of the truck. Am I asking for too much for the dealer to fix this? On top of this I also found a dent right on the hood which the dealer will be fixing. Photo attached.

IMG_1212.jpg
They tried to get out of respraying the door. Well it backfired, shame on them.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
it needs to be fixed RIGHT
and not with a red sharpie
the rapid red is not a single color paint touch up.
they need to fix it .

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Hey Guys!

IMG_1212.jpg

That reminds me of my last VW. It was a 2008 certified pre-owned car with 8K on it. IT was in mint condition except for a huge 10" long vertical scratch in the rear hatch. I requested that they fix it as part of the sale and had it in writing on the paperwork. The detail team decided that not only was a touchup pen was sufficient but applied it much like this... I was livid and went to the general manager about it and he agreed that repair was not acceptable. They sent it off to have the rear hatch re-painted.

I'd go to back to the dealership about it and point this out and request them to properly fix it. If they won't budge you can try contacting Ford Customer Care to see what they can/will do. Last option is you can probably find a local scratch repair service to fix it for a few hundred bucks they can sand the area and respray it blending to the rest of the door. Since the truck is new color matching should not be an issue. Some of these guys are absolute wizards and do such a good job that only it will look like OEM and you will know it was repaired there.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
To me that scratch appears to be from the door margins being too tight, and the paint rubbed off when opening, OR it happened during the doors off build up process, like the tooling/machinery scratched the door in that spot. My guess is that this happened at the assembly plant and the operators there tried to perform a half ass fix.

the problem with repairing that specific spot is that not only do you have to repaint the door, you also have to repaint the adjacent panel to make sure it blends well. I personally wouldn’t want it repainted and break that much factory paint, BUT I would certainly ask that they repair that touch up job, because it’s hideous

Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
To me that scratch appears to be from the door margins being too tight, and the paint rubbed off when opening, OR it happened during the doors off build up process, like the tooling/machinery scratched the door in that spot. My guess is that this happened at the assembly plant and the operators there tried to perform a half ass fix.

the problem with repairing that specific spot is that not only do you have to repaint the door, you also have to repaint the adjacent panel to make sure it blends well. I personally wouldn’t want it repainted and break that much factory paint, BUT I would certainly ask that they repair that touch up job, because it’s hideous

The scratch does not wrap around the lip of the door, so doubtful it is from the factory or door alignment, This type of damage is usually from opening the door into something like a wall or sharp object and then the door scraping against it. Like someone of considerable girth entering/exiting the truck with the door jammed up against something. Very possible it was done at the dealership or during transport when loading the truck onto or off the rail car. The absolute shit show repair is typical of make-ready jackasses when they screw up and damage something hoping no one will notice it. Had something like this happen with my wife's car. Bought new and just signed the paperwork. Make-ready tagged the driver's mirror into the bay wall putting a huge gouge in the paint/plastic. The GM was so pissed he fired the dumbass responsible on the spot then had a tech pull a mirror off another car and swap it while we waited.

Blending should not be an issue since it's new provided this is an order truck and not one that sat in a hold lot for months waiting on chips.

Last edited:

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
The scratch does not wrap around the lip of the door, so doubtful it is from the factory or door alignment, This type of damage is usually from opening the door into something like a wall or sharp object and then the door scraping against it. Like someone of considerable girth entering/exiting the truck with the door jammed up against something. Very possible it was done at the dealership or during transport when loading the truck onto or off the rail car. The absolute shit show repair is typical of make-ready jackasses when they screw up and damage something hoping no one will notice it. Blending should not be an issue since it's new provided this is an order truck and not one that sat in a hold lot for months waiting on chips.
You’re correct, I thought it was on the leading edge of the door, not the trailing edge.

EDIT: after rereading, it is on the leading edge, OP says next to the fender, so I don’t see how opening the door too hard would scratch that part

and you’re correct, for a good painter, blender isn’t hard, but I wouldn’t break that Much of the factory paint, I think it’ll cause more issues than it solves down the road if the repair isn’t done correctly. And we’ve seen how dealerships like to operate.
Sponsored