Sponsored

Need to transport 450 lb MotorCycle - What will my tailgate weight hold?

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat V8
Occupation
Happily Retired - USMÇ
Need to carry a 450 lb 400cc motorcycle and was wondering if I can place it in the bed tied down with the powered tailgate down?

Unable to find info on what weight the tailgate will hold? Thanks.
Sponsored

Last edited:

oneinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost, 2022 Maverick Lariat Lux
MC?

RcFlyer330

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Limited Powerboost
well a quick google search is saying it can hold 600lbs.
if you think about it it can handle a lot of weight. the thing to think about is only the front or rear wheel is sitting on the tailgate and it is not going to be the full 450lbs. the actual weight will be less probally closer to half it depends on the weight distribution of the motorcycle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SemperVee

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat V8
Occupation
Happily Retired - USMÇ
That I found but not who or what qualified that answer?

Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
I've carried quite a few bikes in the beds of my shortbox pickups with rear wheels on the tailgate. Never gave it a second thought.

RcFlyer330

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Limited Powerboost
on page 395 and 396 of the manual the only capacity it gives about the tailgate is the max force between the tailgate anchor points and that is 400lbs.

OP
OP
SemperVee

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat V8
Occupation
Happily Retired - USMÇ
That is a "qualified" answer. 400 not 600 lbs. Thank you! AND since the whole weight will not be resting on the tailgate I would think I would be safe. DID not want to hurt my new truck and screw up the powered tailgate.

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
on page 395 and 396 of the manual the only capacity it gives about the tailgate is the max force between the tailgate anchor points and that is 400lbs.

I have physically validated the max force between the tailgate anchor points myself, by eating a nice steak dinner and sitting on my open tailgate having a few beers.

You could be creative and get heavy duty ratchet straps and loop them around the tailgate and hook them to a couple of spots behind the cab, but in the bed.

I'm going to assume that you have the Ford anchor cleats and you plan to strapping down your motorcycle to the 4 anchor points as well.

If so, you might want to review the maximum force between the anchor points according to Ford.

Jackal

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Need to carry a 450 lb 400cc motorcycle and was wondering if I can place it in the bed tied down with the powered tailgate down?

I've had great success with these for the past 7 years, been using them since 2015 for a 1100 lbs small SXS in my 8ft Super Duty bed that also had a 100 gal tanks eating up bedspace. Keeps from stressing your tailgate cables, they go on and off in seconds, just store them uder the seat.
Ford F-150 Need to transport 450 lb MotorCycle - What will my tailgate weight hold? Tailgate EX support

Ford F-150 Need to transport 450 lb MotorCycle - What will my tailgate weight hold? TG Support 2

Ford F-150 Need to transport 450 lb MotorCycle - What will my tailgate weight hold? Ford Tailgte Support

Sponsored

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
Yes it's fine. I've done it, across the country. Is it too long to fit in the bed on a diagonal with the tailgate up?

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost

No issues. I've carried two KTM's (about 525 lb total) with the rear wheels on the tailgate without any problems.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
I've been involved in the development of quite a few tailgates for many OEMs over the years. They may or may not list the full allowance as capacity but I've never seen one that was designed and tested at less than 500 lbs and most were more.

If it was any less than that you would read almost daily about a failure when two adults sit on the gate...and I've never heard of such a thing.

JerryLZ

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 502A PB
I've had great success with these for the past 7 years, been using them since 2015 for a 1100 lbs small SXS in my 8ft Super Duty bed that also had a 100 gal tanks eating up bedspace. Keeps from stressing your tailgate cables, they go on and off in seconds, just store them uder the seat.
Tailgate EX support.jpg

TG Support 2.jpg

Ford Tailgte Support.jpg
I was looking at those supports and was wondering if its any better to put all the stress on those locking knobs. Couldn't find anything about that part being damaged to be fair. I take it you haven't noticed anything weird by hooking up to those? I have to load a 700ish pound ATV.

Jackal

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I was looking at those supports and was wondering if its any better to put all the stress on those locking knobs. Couldn't find anything about that part being damaged to be fair. I take it you haven't noticed anything weird by hooking up to those? I have to load a 700ish pound ATV.

I've never had an issued and have hauled that SXS in excess of 20K miles on the tailgate using those support struts.
Sponsored