My fantasy for a more informative 'Payload Sticker'

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
The form and content of the "Tire and Loading Information" sticker (AKA 'payload sticker') found on all North American vehicles is dictated by federal rule (DOT or NHTSA, I don't recall which). IMO it's a piss-poor source of incredibly limited information.

IMO the rule should be changed to require a sticker providing VIN specific information for all loading and trailer towing criteria in consideration of the equipment installed on each particular vehicle. Manufacturer's have all of this info readily available.

Here's my 'cut' at an example using data for my 2022 F150, which I'll note takes a lot of digging to compile, and digging through multiple sources to find this data is BS (IMO it should all be readily available on the vehicle for reference):

Ford F-150 My fantasy for a more informative 'Payload Sticker' IDEAL -PAYLOAD- STICKER

Too many words you say? I say Screw the idiots that can only comprehend a single-line statement, they're not gonna look at or comprehend the current 'payload sticker' anyway.

Just one of my many small fantasies, which happened to manifest as a bit of a rant today :ROFLMAO:
Sponsored

Last edited:

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
The majority of people are better off buying a motorhome than a travel trailer and needing to decide which tow vehicle to buy. Ford does the best job with its trailering guide but even then people need to be able to read and think in a critical mannner which is what it is.

Blame the factory or blame the lazy people who prefer not to make the effort to think for themselves.

bcb97

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, 2020 Expedition
Considering that GM does this with their trucks and provides a VIN specific sticker that shows towing capabilities, I have a feeling that Ford will start doing it at some point.

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
The form and content of the "Tire and Loading Information" sticker (AKA 'payload sticker') found on all North American vehicles is dictated by federal rule (DOT or NHTSA, I don't recall which). IMO it's a piss-poor source of incredibly limited information.

IMO the rule should be changed to require a sticker providing VIN specific information for all loading and trailer towing criteria in consideration of the equipment installed on each particular vehicle. Manufacturer's have all of this info readily available.

Here's my 'cut' at an example using data for my 2022 F150, which I'll note takes a lot of digging to compile, and digging through multiple sources to find this data is BS (IMO it should all be readily available on the vehicle for reference):

IDEAL -PAYLOAD- STICKER.jpg

Too many words you say? I say Screw the idiots that can only comprehend a single-line statement, they're not gonna look at or comprehend the current 'payload sticker' anyway.

Just one of my many small fantasies, which happened to manifest as a bit of a rant today :ROFLMAO:
Or we could make it a general suggestion since actually putting a solid number rather than a rounded number is kind of silly.

I'm thinking like "Loads over 2000lbs and trailers over 10000lbs or bearing tongue weights greater than 900lbs are not officially recommended" and maybe include the findings from destructive testing with every vehicle, because all I really care about is the failure point and what 20% less than that looks like.

8.8s are much stronger than what Ford is telling us with their ratings. Fords frames aren't posted all over the internet in two halves like those dodge frames. Fords wheels are some of the highest quality in the business. What is the fail point?

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I'd prefer a sticker that says your axle weight ratings and the percent of that weight that's acceptable. That way ford would have to explain how the HDPP can have magic fairy dust rating its GVWR to ~95-96% (raptor too) of its axle ratings while the PBs get 89/90%.

Maybe they just run out of the magic fairy dust when it comes to some truck's stickers. Like low toner, but low on magic dust.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Buyer2021

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
I'd prefer a sticker that says your axle weight ratings and the percent of that weight that's acceptable. That way ford would have to explain how the HDPP can have magic fairy dust rating its GVWR to ~95-96% (raptor too) of its axle ratings while the PBs get 89/90%.
Ever consider that Gross Vehicle Weight Rating may be limited by brakes, cooling, or other vehicle-specific considerations while Gross Axle Weight Ratings serve as a legitimate guide to load distribution within the overall limit of GVWR?

I suggest there's any number of valid reasons (as opposed to 'fairy dust') that the ratio between the two may differ among different vehicles.

When you show me a sticker where the GVWR exceeds the sum of GAWRs, I'll start to listen to your 'fairy dust' pitch :LOL:

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Ever consider that Gross Vehicle Weight Rating may be limited by brakes, cooling, or other vehicle-specific considerations while Gross Axle Weight Ratings serve as a legitimate guide to load distribution within the overall limit of GVWR?

I suggest there's any number of valid reasons (as opposed to 'fairy dust') that the ratio between the two may differ among different vehicles.

When you show me a sticker where the GVWR exceeds the sum of GAWRs, I'll start to listen to your 'fairy dust' pitch :LOL:
Analyzed all aspects of it quite thoroughly. Particularly the PB's gimped numbers despite having the strongest frame outside of the raptor, but that thing's limits are for its aerial performances shall we call them....

There's no correlation between parts and ratings, outside of the amount of fairy dust added.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
My guess as to why Ford is sandbagging the Powerboost ratings probably has something to do with the brand new in 2021 hybrid drive train.

Ford has probably weighed their decision somewhat carefully and would rather ‘lose’ a few sales to their own HDPP and Superduty trucks than replace a bunch of batteries and hybrid motors under warranty.

PB owners need to just be happy that it has a better payload/GCWR than a Prius! :p

I’m all for conspiracy theories but I don’t think the PB payload ratings should count as one.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
When towing near or at limits with the Powerboost, Ford would likely recommend Tow/Haul mode. Right?

If so, they've removed any threat to the burden that the Hybrid motor might experience. It's a 3.5 Ecoboost 373 F150 in those circumstances.

I don't know how conservative Ford is being with the Payload on the Powerboost, but no different than the other F150's, they seem to come from the factory equipped a bit soft and wallowing for carrying their max rating. (my opinion anyway)

I'm less concerned with whether I do or don't exceed the magic yellow sticker number than I am about improving its weight carrying prowess.

Things like rear sway bar, RAS or Airbags, shocks and tires. You can literally transform these trucks into wonderfully stable towing platform compared to how they are delivered.

I'd be far more comfortable towing a couple of hundred pounds over the yellow sticker with a well mannered F150, than be 100 lbs under the sticker the way Ford equipped it from the factory.

Having said all that, I have 4 RV's and none of them will tax the Powerboost I have to its max Payload. So I'm not really the outlaw that I might sound like. :)
Sponsored