First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Occupation
Registered Nurse
I’m making this write up as a way to document and alert other owners with the twin panel moonroof of my issues (and potential resolve).

My 21’ Lariat is about 11 months since built and 12,000 miles. I use my windows and sunroof as much as possible so it does see a lot of opening and closing, I have no way to determine a measurable usage amount, but it’s as much as the weather allows. I should also note a have pretty much never parked under a tree that I can think of. So debris shouldn’t be a concern.

Anyways, here in Michigan the weather is getting more cool, damp, and wet. Yesterday I got in my truck and noticed an obvious smell of “must”, as if wet fabric had been left in the cab. I felt around and didn’t notice anything wet, however I opened the roller shade for the sunroof and noticed the smell much stronger, the headliner did not feel wet anywhere.

After closer inspection, the wind buffeting mesh that pops up when sunroof is open was clearly damp, and was the source of the smell. The plastic tray it sets in appeared clean, as did most of the sunroof track. From what I have read online from others, this mesh material sits in the same track that water is designed to be able to leak in and drain through small holes/tubes. There is not a separate housing for the mesh to fold into as far as I can tell.

From others suggestions, I mixed a bottle of 50/50 water and white vinegar. And first dampened a rag and cleaned the fabric, I then drenched it with the spray I made up. I also took the time to wipe the front edge of the sunroof rubber seal, then applied a product I have, called “gummi-phleg” which is a specific rubber dressing/conditioner for door seals. I left the sunroof open for a couple hours to fully dry.

So far no smell, the fabric smells clean, will update after some rain and damp weather. Ultimately kind of annoyed my brand new truck has an issue, especially a water related one, hopefully it’s not serious.
Sponsored

WD8CXB

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 4x4 SuperCrew / 2020 Expedition MAX 4x4
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
My wife has been smelling an odd smell that she has yet to identify in her 2020 Expedition with the dual panel moonroof. Will need to do more investigation to see if it is the mesh area.

OP
OP

catskills837

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Occupation
Registered Nurse
Musty smell continues, no smell today at 0700, got back in at 1600 and smacked with the smell, didn’t rain today either.

Kind of pissed about this, I should smell the leather in my $70k truck, not wet dog. Not to mention the potential health hazard.

I am going to call the dealer and get it in, they’re not going to find shit I imagine and I’ll just get the “sunroof working as intended” completed work order. Only plus side is at least it will be on record for future warranty issues.

If the mesh diffuser is INTENDED to get wet, why is it not made with some king of antimicrobial material or synthetic plastic/vinyl/rubber? I am 99% sure the smell is coming from that singular piece of fabric.

Paul Neubauer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
I had a 2018 with that twin panel sunroof and it always smelled like a wet dog that went swimming in a swamp after it rained and I could never find where it was coming coming from. I assumed it was leaking somewhere but nothing was ever wet. My 2021 was ordered without that goofy roof of glass and has been great.

BCP28

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150, 2023 Ford Mach-E4x
Occupation
Engineer
My 2021 with the twin panel roof has the same musty smell. It smells like someone left wet towels in it (which isn't the literal case). Found an ArmorAll fogger that is supposed to kill odors, but concerned it'll make the interior smell like a middle school locker room and not really fix the issue, so haven't tried it yet. Reviews seem mixed.

https://www.amazon.com/Armor-All-Fo...nSA==&sprefix=armorall+freshfx,aps,130&sr=8-2

Sponsored

Paul Neubauer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
My 2021 with the twin panel roof has the same musty smell. It smells like someone left wet towels in it (which isn't the literal case). Found an ArmorAll fogger that is supposed to kill odors, but concerned it'll make the interior smell like a middle school locker room and not really fix the issue, so haven't tried it yet. Reviews seem mixed.

https://www.amazon.com/Armor-All-Fogger-Eliminator-Smoke-X/dp/B07N8K6JQQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_mod_primary_new?crid=1TOSR2EZ3P3JU&keywords=armorall+freshfx&qid=1667782661&sbo=RZvfv//HxDF+O5021pAnSA==&sprefix=armorall+freshfx,aps,130&sr=8-2
That will probably just make it smell like Armorall wet towels... I never found the source of the smell in mine and just dumped it for a 2021.

OP
OP

catskills837

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Occupation
Registered Nurse

https://www.amazon.com/Armor-All-Fogger-Eliminator-Smoke-X/dp/B07N8K6JQQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_mod_primary_new?crid=1TOSR2EZ3P3JU&keywords=armorall+freshfx&qid=1667782661&sbo=RZvfv//HxDF+O5021pAnSA==&sprefix=armorall+freshfx,aps,130&sr=8-2
A simple mix of vinegar and water initially made the fabric smell completely go away, and didn’t have any leftover smell. But that just kills the mold, doesn’t prevent the continued growth and obviously any leaking issues.

Not sure what I’ll do here, I just wonder what the “worst case scenario” is here, if this can’t get solved. A complete sunroof replacement? Ford buys the truck back?

Especially considering the health issue of breathing mold spores multiple years down the line…

winthrop

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Landscaper
Its definitely the windscreen on the sunroof. I have a 2021 F150 Platinum and after about 8 months to a year after I purchased it every time it gets wet it smells horrific, Like cat pee it goes away after about 24hrs of drying out. After reading some posts, on a nice dry day everything when everything was fine and no smell I opened the sunroof put a little water on the windscreen and BAM the horrible smell. My dealer says I am the first with this that they have heard of and so far no fix it from Ford. I did clean it real good including a special anti mold solution it did help a little but I can still smell it when it gets wet. Has anyone had any success with Ford fixing this? So I looked up mold and cat pee smell and experts say it's BLACK MOLD this can be a serious health hazard.
Sponsored

Last edited: