Moldy a/c smell

Skier167

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
I’ve searched for various keywords to find previous posts but all I can find are ones referencing posts from last summer and people complaining. Getting moldy/musty smell out of a/c vents when I start the truck. This is my 3rd f150 and never had this issue before. I’ve checked the following things: no leaks from pano roof, not wet under passenger side carpet(pulled it up to the center console), a/c drain tube isn’t clogged and drains freely, and changed cabin air filter. I’ve read people have sprayed Lysol in the intakes by the windshield but I don’t want to do that as it seems like a temp fix and I am not a fan of the Lysol smell. Anyone have any other things to try to get rid of the smell? I saw one guy who drilled a small hole in the plastic behind the glove box to access the a/c coils and spray cleaner in there but wasn’t sure if that’s a good route or not.

I don’t use max a/c or recirculate.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Caneman88

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost F150 Platinum ,MB GLC 300
Occupation
Pella Windows and Doors
I sprayed the filter with fabreeze it work pretty good they also sell a filter with Gain on it but did not have it at Autozone

Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 XLT 302A/2022 F150 Tremor 402A
Occupation
The guy that everyone b*&%ches to at work...
Change the cabin air filter.

SCTYDOG

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Escape Hybrid, 2015 CMax Hybrid, 2003 T-Bird
Occupation
Computer Forensic Examiner
You may have to have the interior treated with an ozone (O³) machine. They do an amazing job to neutralize odors. You can find them on Amazon. Just make sure to do it on a day you don't need the truck, and give it plenty of time to air out when done treating it because ozone will make you super sick.

I use a small one inside my front load washing machine when it starts to smell like mildew.

Sponsored

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Check if you ac drain is clogged. Mine was.

I noticed I never had water dripping under my truck.. and it wasnt cooling as it should felt humid. I had a bore camera so I looked.

Its easy to access and you can take anything and shove it in there, be careful not too far the evaporator is there. So I wouldnt suggest going crazy..

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP

tomsgarage

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SCrew Lariat, 2012 Boss 302
Would like to know where the drain is for the a/c also as I am having the same isssue.

OP
OP
Skier167

Skier167

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Would like to know where the drain is for the a/c also as I am having the same isssue.
Jesse sent me this picture. Be very careful with what you stick in there. That tube is maybe like an inch or two long.

fwiw mine was not clogged and I’m back to square one on how to fix.

Ford F-150 Moldy a/c smell 9DFE1C16-5BFD-4BCE-86F6-37DB9C75569A

Sponsored

JerryLZ

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 502A PB
I don't know how bad it is but have you ruled out turning your A/C off early before you get to where you are going and just leaving it on vent mode. I never had a sever issue but its something I saw is supposed to help if you are getting a mildew smell. Say like 5 minutes or so before you park and see if anything changes.

OP
OP
Skier167

Skier167

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
I don't know how bad it is but have you ruled out turning your A/C off early before you get to where you are going and just leaving it on vent mode. I never had a sever issue but its something I saw is supposed to help if you are getting a mildew smell. Say like 5 minutes or so before you park and see if anything changes.
I’ve tried turning it off as I’m getting close to my house but only done it for maybe a minute or so.

Rod507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT Powerboost
I’ve had this issue for almost 2 years, and all I got from ford was to see a dealer… a couple dealer then turns around and says it will be 3 months before they can look into it. Vicious cycle.

KeysF150

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
I’ve searched for various keywords to find previous posts but all I can find are ones referencing posts from last summer and people complaining. Getting moldy/musty smell out of a/c vents when I start the truck. This is my 3rd f150 and never had this issue before. I’ve checked the following things: no leaks from pano roof, not wet under passenger side carpet(pulled it up to the center console), a/c drain tube isn’t clogged and drains freely, and changed cabin air filter. I’ve read people have sprayed Lysol in the intakes by the windshield but I don’t want to do that as it seems like a temp fix and I am not a fan of the Lysol smell. Anyone have any other things to try to get rid of the smell? I saw one guy who drilled a small hole in the plastic behind the glove box to access the a/c coils and spray cleaner in there but wasn’t sure if that’s a good route or not.

I don’t use max a/c or recirculate.
Did you ever get it resolved? I’m having the same issue. Changed the cabin air filter, sprayed Lysol, nothing has helped yet.
Sponsored