Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
My 2023 with the 3.5 and 1875 miles suddenly set a warning of low oil pressure yesterday. I had been running around town all morning then stopped for lunch. When I started up after lunch I got the oil pressure warning, and it also turned the check engine light on. I killed the motor and looked under the vehicle. No leaks. Started back up and and looked good for a few seconds, gauge and info screen, then it lit up again. Called dealership and after talking to the service writer made the drove it to the dealership, No bad noises or high temps, ran fine other than it had reduced power. Hope to find out Monday what the issue is. Has anyone here had a similar issue?
Good morning. Can you please send over a message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer? I would like to look into your oil pressure concerns on my end.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TX_Tim

TX_Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Shelby GT 500, 2021 4 door Bronco, 2023 F150
Occupation
Real Estate and other Investments
Update.
When they went to pull it in to install the sensor the motor started knocking.

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
Update.
When they went to pull it in to install the sensor the motor started knocking.
That is not what you wanted to hear! Strange that you could drive it to the dealership, but when they went to pull it inside it started making noise.

OP
OP
TX_Tim

TX_Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
That is not what you wanted to hear! Strange that you could drive it to the dealership, but when they went to pull it inside it started making noise.
No joke. I talked to the service manager and a independent mechanic I know well and they both felt that it would be ok as it wasn't making any knocking or grinding noises. I hope they can get it replaced and back to me in a reasonable amount of time. I have not even made the first payment on it yet. (Edit) Just got another call back and they're saying it's the oil pump.

Last edited:

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
No joke. I talked to the service manager and a independent mechanic I know well and they both felt that it would be ok as it wasn't making any knocking or grinding noises. I hope they can get it replaced and back to me in a reasonable amount of time. I have not even made the first payment on it yet. (Edit) Just got another call back and they're saying it's the oil pump.
Keep your fingers crossed that there was no engine damage. As long as they shut it right down you may get lucky. If this was my truck and this is just my opinion, I would push for a new engine as you don't know the condition of the crank and rod bearings. Just my 2 cents.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TX_Tim

TX_Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Bad sensor turned into an all new motor. Local dealership fixed it and back to me in 5 weeks. Thankful that they stepped up and rented a F150 for me to drive while mine was in the shop. Not the best situation but Pollard Ford did their best to make it as pain free as possible.

Davidwnuc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On order ‘22 RCSB.
Bad sensor turned into an all new motor. Local dealership fixed it and back to me in 5 weeks. Thankful that they stepped up and rented a F150 for me to drive while mine was in the shop. Not the best situation but Pollard Ford did their best to make it as pain free as possible.
Thats fantastic news, not the bad motor but that they took cars of you. Doesnt happen very often.

Rodoni

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Platinum
Occupation
FF/P
Okay this could have happened to me as well! I’ve been trying to find something on the internet that resembled my situation. My new engine should be done this coming Wednesday. I had 48k though

OP
OP
TX_Tim

TX_Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Okay this could have happened to me as well! I’ve been trying to find something on the internet that resembled my situation. My new engine should be done this coming Wednesday. I had 48k though
Oil pressure alert all the sudden?

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Ouch, what was the mode of failure? Oil pump or was pressure low due to large main bearing clearances?

Sponsored

OP
OP
TX_Tim

TX_Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ouch, what was the mode of failure? Oil pump or was pressure low due to large main bearing clearances?
I asked, they said they wouldn't tear down the motor. It would be shipped back to a reman facility and they would either reman it or scrap it if it wasn't good enough to reman. They would never hear the final decision at the dealer level. That's all I know.

I don't read on here a lot, are loose main bearing clearances an issue?

Rodoni

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Platinum
Occupation
FF/P
I initially read your first post a little too fast and on my mobile phone. In October 2023 I was under hard acceleration getting on the freeway when I got the "low oil pressure/CEL" then limp mode. Pulled over instantly, no drips, no damage, everything seemed fine. I started the truck and everything was back to normal. I was coming due for an oil change ~25% life left (I know its not a perfect science to rely on that but I was around 5k miles). I got home and did some research and read on the raptor forums guys have had that same thing happen when their oil life got to about 25% and below. I scheduled oil change at my dealer for ASAP and got it changed.

Fast forward to around February 2024, I started to hear some type of slight grinding noise in the higher rpm range when headed home (I live up on a hill). No overheating, no lights, not super loud or anything, just something I started to notice. Did some research and I gathered it could be noisy wastegates or some sort of vacuum line for the 4 wheel drive actuator or something. It was a 2015-2020 model type of issue. I was right around 4-5k miles and oil was ~28% or so and I figured it was time for the next change. About a week later I got the "low oil pressure/CEL" going up a hill. Turn off, looked around, started it up and all was good again. I could still hear that noise in the upper powerband so when I got home I tried to pin point where it was and take a video for my appt coming up that week. I checked the oil level and the dipstick was dang near dry. I took my wife's car down to get oil and it took 3qts of oil. I was shocked. I had no low oil level lights, no overheating, no smoke, no leaks, I had no idea where the oil could have gone in 5ish-k miles. I didnt drive it again until it was time for my appt.

Told the dealer about the noises and low oil when I dropped it off. They called me later that day, said it was ready and they marked my dipstick for "oil consumption test". They didn't initially hear the noise I was talking about. Before I left I revved in neutral to see if it was still there and it was so I went and got the service writer and shop foreman and showed them. They agreed there was an issue but could be "fuel knock/ping". I used 91 from costco, they said switch to 87 from shell/chevron and we will see you in 600-900 miles for oil level check. The engine noise seemed to stay the same but did get MUCH worse in sportmode 4A and knocking was heard on hard acceleration and deceleration. Went back after 700 miles, no loss of oil level and I left it there for 2 days but they did some other warranty work. We restarted the oil consumption test and they said when I come back in 900 miles, the shop foreman would go on a drive with me to try and diagnose the noise further. No overheating, no smoke, no loss of power, no dash lights. Last week I hit the 900 miles, I go in and I'm down 1 qt of oil and knocking noises have stayed the same/consistent and hadn't gotten any worse. They drained the oil and said it looked like "pepper" there was so much metal in it. They ordered an engine from Ford the next day and it should be done this Wednesday. I havent gotten any updates on what actually happened to my engine. I was hoping to hear when I got the call to pick up my truck but after reading this thread it sounds like they won't even waste their time tearing down the old one.

TLDR: low oil pressure light under WOT, grinding noise, 2 oil consumption tests over ~6 weeks, turned into losing 1qt of oil in 600-900 miles, turned into new engine from Ford in about a week's time. Impressed with the customer service ive gotten from my dealer throughout the process and got a rental with no issues. I was kind of dreading having to fight for repairs or a rental car from reading stories on here but everything has been easy peasy.

OP
OP
TX_Tim

TX_Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I initially read your first post a little too fast and on my mobile phone. In October 2023 I was under hard acceleration getting on the freeway when I got the "low oil pressure/CEL" then limp mode. Pulled over instantly, no drips, no damage, everything seemed fine. I started the truck and everything was back to normal. I was coming due for an oil change ~25% life left (I know its not a perfect science to rely on that but I was around 5k miles). I got home and did some research and read on the raptor forums guys have had that same thing happen when their oil life got to about 25% and below. I scheduled oil change at my dealer for ASAP and got it changed.

Fast forward to around February 2024, I started to hear some type of slight grinding noise in the higher rpm range when headed home (I live up on a hill). No overheating, no lights, not super loud or anything, just something I started to notice. Did some research and I gathered it could be noisy wastegates or some sort of vacuum line for the 4 wheel drive actuator or something. It was a 2015-2020 model type of issue. I was right around 4-5k miles and oil was ~28% or so and I figured it was time for the next change. About a week later I got the "low oil pressure/CEL" going up a hill. Turn off, looked around, started it up and all was good again. I could still hear that noise in the upper powerband so when I got home I tried to pin point where it was and take a video for my appt coming up that week. I checked the oil level and the dipstick was dang near dry. I took my wife's car down to get oil and it took 3qts of oil. I was shocked. I had no low oil level lights, no overheating, no smoke, no leaks, I had no idea where the oil could have gone in 5ish-k miles. I didnt drive it again until it was time for my appt.

Told the dealer about the noises and low oil when I dropped it off. They called me later that day, said it was ready and they marked my dipstick for "oil consumption test". They didn't initially hear the noise I was talking about. Before I left I revved in neutral to see if it was still there and it was so I went and got the service writer and shop foreman and showed them. They agreed there was an issue but could be "fuel knock/ping". I used 91 from costco, they said switch to 87 from shell/chevron and we will see you in 600-900 miles for oil level check. The engine noise seemed to stay the same but did get MUCH worse in sportmode 4A and knocking was heard on hard acceleration and deceleration. Went back after 700 miles, no loss of oil level and I left it there for 2 days but they did some other warranty work. We restarted the oil consumption test and they said when I come back in 900 miles, the shop foreman would go on a drive with me to try and diagnose the noise further. No overheating, no smoke, no loss of power, no dash lights. Last week I hit the 900 miles, I go in and I'm down 1 qt of oil and knocking noises have stayed the same/consistent and hadn't gotten any worse. They drained the oil and said it looked like "pepper" there was so much metal in it. They ordered an engine from Ford the next day and it should be done this Wednesday. I havent gotten any updates on what actually happened to my engine. I was hoping to hear when I got the call to pick up my truck but after reading this thread it sounds like they won't even waste their time tearing down the old one.

TLDR: low oil pressure light under WOT, grinding noise, 2 oil consumption tests over ~6 weeks, turned into losing 1qt of oil in 600-900 miles, turned into new engine from Ford in about a week's time. Impressed with the customer service ive gotten from my dealer throughout the process and got a rental with no issues. I was kind of dreading having to fight for repairs or a rental car from reading stories on here but everything has been easy peasy.
Glad they got you taken care of. Hope the 2nd motor doesn't have any issues.
Sponsored