• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning software bugs?

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
I guess it would be nice to not have one…. But I am literally terrible at keeping my phone charged all day long so I would be terrified to not have a fob on me.

To me the feature would be fine as an emergency stop-gap if I lost my keys and was already late for work, not for everyday use.

In the MME, you have a backup start password. If your phone dies, you lost it or whatever you enter the code and drive off.....no key, no fob
Sponsored

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That was a FUDtastic video. I have a feeling that those people say " I want to talk to your manager" at least 5 times per week.

Doesn't the Mach-E allow one to unlock and start your car using the key, passcode, OR PAAK? I don't think any other EV has that level of redundancy.

Yes it does

ocwill1

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost 502A, 2021 Lexus RX350(wifey)
Occupation
Computer System Engineer
co-worker has a 1st edition and has had no issues whatsoever on his. PAAk, fob, whatever, no issues. Is it me, or does she seem to be high maintenance...

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
Meh, they'll figure it out.

Tesla's phone as key is annoying, too. It often takes several seconds to realize you want to get in so you just keep pulling the handle or pushing the trunk button and try to move your body to get the phone closer or whatever. Sounds similar to their issue.

I like not having to carry a fob, but they're more reliable/fast, IME.

My Lightning Pro won't have Phone-as-key anyway, but this wouldn't worry me at all.
I've had zero problems with driving both Model 3 and Model X with just my phone since 2016, but Tesla has numerous similar niggling software bugs and often weekly even sometimes daily updates that either fix a bug or bring a new bug or two.
The hassle with using the phone is when you're out of cell phone range, it can glitch and you can be locked out … this has happened to people stopping at a scenic lookout for example and finding they're asking other people parked at the lookout to drive ahead to cell coverage and call for them to get a tow … so I always carry a keyfob or a keycard for the Tesla … for F-150 … buttons on the door … simple … been on Fords for a decade or two …

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
co-worker has a 1st edition and has had no issues whatsoever on his. PAAk, fob, whatever, no issues. Is it me, or does she seem to be high maintenance...
I don't think high maintenance is fair criticism, but taking that whole video to say "phone key isn't reliable" is just typical youtuber "formula" for getting clicks and likes … do the "relatable" in-car wholesome family visual setup, say things sensible but controversial on a popular topic (like the mach-e.) That video probably took them ten minutes to shoot and edit, then ten hours to use a hundred social media accounts to post it everywhere and keep working it till it gets some views …

Sponsored

RangerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ranger
Just like Tesla early on, early adopters got a tax break and got to deal with newer software & bugs…just like other new technologies. Ford will get it sorted as software matures. Some T owners paid for FSD and are still waiting.

I drove a Y one month ago. The screen was glitching (‘buttons’ not responding, had to use alternate methods like another menu then back) when I or the test drive host was trying to change options. We noticed a plastic protective film over the screen which we removed. It was still doing it. He said the software might be older, as it was a new vehicle. I later checked and the software seemed to show the current date/updated. Hopefully whoever gets that white Y has better luck…

As an alternative, I believe most MEs have a drivers door pin a user can enter and could save a valet code or similar to get home without a key.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just like Tesla early on, early adopters got a tax break and got to deal with newer software & bugs…just like other new technologies. Ford will get it sorted as software matures. Some T owners paid for FSD and are still waiting.

I drove a Y one month ago. The screen was glitching (‘buttons’ not responding, had to use alternate methods like another menu then back) when I or the test drive host was trying to change options. We noticed a plastic protective film over the screen which we removed. It was still doing it. He said the software might be older, as it was a new vehicle. I later checked and the software seemed to show the current date/updated. Hopefully whoever gets that white Y has better luck…

As an alternative, I believe most MEs have a drivers door pin a user can enter and could save a valet code or similar to get home without a key.
When you set up your PAAK, you have to enter a backup start password. You enter your door key to enter, then you have to enter a password to start the MME. I just went outside to see if this procedure would actually work since I've never tried it. It worked great.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
I've had zero problems with driving both Model 3 and Model X with just my phone since 2016, but Tesla has numerous similar niggling software bugs and often weekly even sometimes daily updates that either fix a bug or bring a new bug or two.
The hassle with using the phone is when you're out of cell phone range, it can glitch and you can be locked out … this has happened to people stopping at a scenic lookout for example and finding they're asking other people parked at the lookout to drive ahead to cell coverage and call for them to get a tow … so I always carry a keyfob or a keycard for the Tesla … for F-150 … buttons on the door … simple … been on Fords for a decade or two …
Yeah, I never had any other notable software issues besides occasionally giving me a little spinny wheel instead of the song name on the display... or they were so small I don't remember them. But it often took a few seconds to open via Phone As A Key. But like you said, I just kept the RFID credit card with me just in case.

I expect by the time the Lightning is here, the notable software issues will be resolved, and if not, I'll keep the fob with me or whatever. Not the end of the world.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
I finally watched the EV and Shrill video today. Yes, some people have had issues with PaaK and there is a dealer service solution. However, there is also an OTA for it coming soon. Personally, I find PaaK works well as long as I’m patient. I never carry the fob.

I do agree with them that the dealership didn’t treat them well. It’s interesting that from the sound of it they didn’t go back to their original dealer. Some dealers are not well set up for EV repairs. That’s something Ford will have to address before the Lightning comes out.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
for F-150 … buttons on the door … simple … been on Fords for a decade or two …
Ya except they decided that you can't even option it onto the pro trim...? Ford may get an extra $15k outta me just for this one feature.

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Funny thing is…. I ordered a key fob for my Model 3…. I have to carry keys regardless and sometimes I don’t have my phone on me all the time. The Tesla phone key isn’t perfect neither

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
Ya except they decided that you can't even option it onto the pro trim...? Ford may get an extra $15k outta me just for this one feature.
I assumed the door buttons were on every F-150 (of course some trims on the XL or for fleet buyers might omit the buttons, but it seems like more expense than cost-saving to build the car without them and have two configurations to maintain.
Also, as I understand it, the door buttons are basically the same as a keyfob and send a radio signal like a keyfob once the code is entered correctly … it seems to me Ford could make it cheaper if the location of the buttons was somewhere out of sight and out of the weather.
I'd like to think for the Lightning, the buttons will be an invisible touch panel in the B pillar or something "cool and futuristic", not the same thing you'd find on the existing F-150 (or a Focus or whatever.)

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I assumed the door buttons were on every F-150 (of course some trims on the XL or for fleet buyers might omit the buttons, but it seems like more expense than cost-saving to build the car without them and have two configurations to maintain.
Also, as I understand it, the door buttons are basically the same as a keyfob and send a radio signal like a keyfob once the code is entered correctly … it seems to me Ford could make it cheaper if the location of the buttons was somewhere out of sight and out of the weather.
I'd like to think for the Lightning, the buttons will be an invisible touch panel in the B pillar or something "cool and futuristic", not the same thing you'd find on the existing F-150 (or a Focus or whatever.)
This is exactly what is on the Mach E now. You swipe on the B-pillar and the numbers appear in red

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
This is exactly what is on the Mach E now. You swipe on the B-pillar and the numbers appear in red
I have seen this on other ford vehicles as well as just physical buttons. Some vehicles have it well integrated into the trim and some it looks like a big black square slapped on above the door handle.

5ohbrad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Expedition
Meh, they'll figure it out.

Tesla's phone as key is annoying, too. It often takes several seconds to realize you want to get in so you just keep pulling the handle or pushing the trunk button and try to move your body to get the phone closer or whatever. Sounds similar to their issue.

I like not having to carry a fob, but they're more reliable/fast, IME.

My Lightning Pro won't have Phone-as-key anyway, but this wouldn't worry me at all.
Sponsored