Lane centering saying keep hands on wheel message even when hands are on wheel

2dogcamper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport FX4
When using the Lane Centering feature does anyone else keep getting the message to put your hands on the steering wheel even though they are on the wheel (except when taking this picture).
Do you have to have a death grip on the wheel? Where are the sensors? My 2016 just required one hand with a lite squeeze.
Ford F-150 Lane centering saying keep hands on wheel message even when hands are on wheel 344F9D98-32C3-4FA9-BBB6-A81D106902A3
Sponsored

CnB150Lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, PB, Fx4, SuperCrew w/5.5 Bed
When using the Lane Centering feature does anyone else keep getting the message to put your hands on the steering wheel even though they are on the wheel (except when taking this picture).
Do you have to have a death grip on the wheel? Where are the sensors? My 2016 just required one hand with a lite squeeze.
344F9D98-32C3-4FA9-BBB6-A81D106902A3.jpeg
If you’re driving in a straight line and giving no steering input even with your hands on the wheel it will give you a warning. There is no “grip” sensor but rather it senses whether you are turning the wheel. This can become fairly annoying if the roads you’re driving on are all straight! You can turn off that setting if it happens to you a lot.

Cire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' F150 Platinum Hybrid 7.2kW
Occupation
Day Dreamer
Yes! It's annoying and I found it's easier to slightly jerk the wheel to clear the alert rather trying to squeeze.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
If you’re driving in a straight line and giving no steering input even with your hands on the wheel it will give you a warning. There is no “grip” sensor but rather it senses whether you are turning the wheel. This can become fairly annoying if the roads you’re driving on are all straight! You can turn off that setting if it happens to you a lot.
I too have dealt with this, I saw where you can turn off some alert notifications but can you specify just this one. I noticed that if you don't do something soon it will turn off the drive assist.

Have you got yours to work without turning off?

I would use it more if I didn't have to keep slightly turning the steering wheel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2dogcamper

2dogcamper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think this is right after reading the Owners Manual the system is looking for steering input. I am going to just move the wheel a little on my commute tomorrow.

Sponsored

CnB150Lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, PB, Fx4, SuperCrew w/5.5 Bed
I too have dealt with this, I saw where you can turn off some alert notifications but can you specify just this one. I noticed that if you don't do something soon it will turn off the drive assist.

Have you got yours to work without turning off?
I haven’t played with it much because I don’t drive on many roads that are laser straight so this is rarely an issue for me so I just move the wheel if I do get an alert. But you may be correct that disabling the one setting unfortunately disables a few other driver assist functions.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I haven’t played with it much because I don’t drive on many roads that are laser straight so this is rarely an issue for me so I just move the wheel if I do get an alert. But you may be correct that disabling the one setting unfortunately disables a few other driver assist functions.
Yeah probably so, it actually works really well, even on curves as long as the road has painted lines.

I doubt there is a way it would let you bypass the warning and eventual shut off of the lane assist, I'm sure there is a legal requirement of some sort.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
a slight tug on the wheel should be all it needs to know you‘re not reclined all the way taking a nap but for me, you practically need to jerk the truck out of the lane to turn the alert off. Hopefully there will be an update for it, it’s not sensitive enough to know that you’re still ‘pretending‘ to drive. The messed up thing is that a weight hung from the wheel is enough to fool the system and then you really can get yourself into trouble.

It only took a minute before it started alerting me and despite wiggling the wheel a few times, it still kept protesting. Then I jerked the wheel and it stopped but there were no other cars around.

Another helpful feature made useless to protect people from themselves.

brnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat
Yeah probably so, it actually works really well, even on curves as long as the road has painted lines.

I doubt there is a way it would let you bypass the warning and eventual shut off of the lane assist, I'm sure there is a legal requirement of some sort.
If by "legal requirement" you mean "a lawyer allowed to make product decisions" then yes, you're probably right. It's mind-boggling that the truck has cameras to detect whether the driver is looking out the windshield, but those cameras can't detect a hand on the steering wheel. A software update should theoretically be able to make the cameras detect hands-on-wheel for lane assist--maybe with fully-autonomous mode expected later this year?

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
If by "legal requirement" you mean "a lawyer allowed to make product decisions" then yes, you're probably right. It's mind-boggling that the truck has cameras to detect whether the driver is looking out the windshield, but those cameras can't detect a hand on the steering wheel. A software update should theoretically be able to make the cameras detect hands-on-wheel for lane assist--maybe with fully-autonomous mode expected later this year?
Some one could have a wreck and try to sue Ford saying it was their fault for the truck was steering itself. People don't want responsibility for their stupid actions and want to blame it on someone else.

Sponsored

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
I don't think you can disable this from the default menus....maybe through FORscan.
But, the alerting is keeping me safe. I just have to jiggle the steering wheel ever so slightly to get it to acknowledge. No big deal...and it will keep me attentive.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I don't think you can disable this from the default menus....maybe through FORscan.
But, the alerting is keeping me safe. I just have to jiggle the steering wheel ever so slightly to get it to acknowledge. No big deal...and it will keep me attentive.
I agree, I want to warning if my hands are off, I just don't like having to jiggle my steering wheel ever what ever number of seconds it is. Sure does a great job keeping it centered, better than myself usually. Lol

OP
OP
2dogcamper

2dogcamper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I confirmed the sensor seems to be seeking a slight resistance to the self centering action. When you go exactly straight the truck is not making any corrections so there is no resistance and the warning to keep hands on the wheel goes off. If you give the wheel a jiggle it senses resistance and the warning turns off.

HandyMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F350 Powerstroke
I've found on straight sections of road if you let the weight of your hand/arm rest on the spoke of the wheel, it will see it as enough "input" to not trigger the warning. It feels funny at first because without the lane centering you would be steering into the other lane, but the lane centering does its thing and is happy that your hand is on the wheel.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I've found on straight sections of road if you let the weight of your hand/arm rest on the spoke of the wheel, it will see it as enough "input" to not trigger the warning. It feels funny at first because without the lane centering you would be steering into the other lane, but the lane centering does its thing and is happy that your hand is on the wheel.
I've noticed the same thing, sure feels weird though. :LOL:
Sponsored