Sponsored

HVAC control swap issues

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
You can't do a PMI on a module that is not supposed to be in the truck. If the part number is not in the inventory for your truck the PMI will fail.
I PMI'd this into my XLT, which doesn't come with it. Upon installing the H/C seats I then had to change it over to DSM control instead of integrated. Truck is 22 and this is a 21 part number.

Ford F-150 HVAC control swap issues 1711577559390-k2
Sponsored

My42waffles

First Name
Kegan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 power boost 157, lightning reservation
Occupation
Maintenance
The pmi isnt the issue. The ones that have heated and cooled buttons arent physically capable of running the heated only setup because the internal circuitry isn’t setup for it. Same reason why you couldn’t ad the auto bezel on last gen and keep heated only seats.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The pmi isnt the issue. The ones that have heated and cooled buttons arent physically capable of running the heated only setup because the internal circuitry isn’t setup for it. Same reason why you couldn’t ad the auto bezel on last gen and keep heated only seats.
I've got 3 different units for the H/C seats and the PMI did in-fact turn on the heated seats that rely on the feed that gets fed from the HVAC unit. There's probably a few part numbers and can't be sure exactly which one did work with the factory HVAC fed heated seats.

My42waffles

First Name
Kegan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Maintenance
thats surprising as no one could get it to work at all for 13th gen. All a pmi does is load the as built to it and reset it no different then using forscan to load them. it would be reliant on the firmware on each one. It’s similar to the massage function having a 20 minute limit on factory equipped vehicles but ones bought separately having unlimited run time.

OP
OP

poomobile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
I am so confused on this right now. I wish I had a mongoose cable to test for myself

Sponsored

My42waffles

First Name
Kegan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Maintenance
Honestly at this point I think your best option would be to get the bronco part as that is setup to work exactly how you need it to. Or put the old one back in and use the climate bar with unreal theme for an on screen button.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
thats surprising as no one could get it to work at all for 13th gen. All a pmi does is load the as built to it and reset it no different then using forscan to load them. it would be reliant on the firmware on each one. It’s similar to the massage function having a 20 minute limit on factory equipped vehicles but ones bought separately having unlimited run time.
The PMI programs a unit to work with a vehicle's saved asbuilt. Essentially programming it for the last known OTA push configuration of the vehicle. My truck didn't come with a DSM and it wasn't until I got an OTA saving my asbuilt that it let me program them. At the same time a 401a doesn't come with a DSM, but I know of someone that did the seat swap and was able to program the DSM right out of the gate. That's just my experience with my part numbers. Now that I've received a few OTAs and my asbuilt has updated on ford's side, I can treat all of my 'new' modules as if they came on the truck.

My42waffles

First Name
Kegan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Maintenance
The PMI programs a unit to work with a vehicle's saved asbuilt. Essentially programming it for the last known OTA push configuration of the vehicle. My truck didn't come with a DSM and it wasn't until I got an OTA saving my asbuilt that it let me program them. At the same time a 401a doesn't come with a DSM, but I know of someone that did the seat swap and was able to program the DSM right out of the gate. That's just my experience with my part numbers. Now that I've received a few OTAs and my asbuilt has updated on ford's side, I can treat all of my 'new' modules as if they came on the truck.
If you use forscan you can program any module that could have shipped with an f150 right away wether or not the truck shipped with it. The only time you can’t is if you use fdrs which wouldn’t be looking for that module until the truck reports it being there Since fdrs only looks for modules associated with that vin at the time. That’s why I don’t use fdrs unless I have to vs forscan which can do everything fdrs does and then some. I never had a problem adding any of the modules to my 17 when I added all the stuff I did to it.

OP
OP

poomobile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Honestly at this point I think your best option would be to get the bronco part as that is setup to work exactly how you need it to. Or put the old one back in and use the climate bar with unreal theme for an on screen button.
I could not get the climate bar to work no matter what I tried. Unreal theme worked but climate bar was always a no go. The only thing I didn’t try was changing the truck back to f150 from f250 (to get the climate buttons on the side to have steering button) and then trying the climate bar again in forscan. I may try again. Also, the Bronco control looks like it is missing rear defrost button…

Last edited:

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If you use forscan you can program any module that could have shipped with an f150 right away wether or not the truck shipped with it. The only time you can’t is if you use fdrs which wouldn’t be looking for that module until the truck reports it being there Since fdrs only looks for modules associated with that vin at the time. That’s why I don’t use fdrs unless I have to vs forscan which can do everything fdrs does and then some. I never had a problem adding any of the modules to my 17 when I added all the stuff I did to it.
Forscan can't program all modules FWIW. The DSM is one of them. Not sure if HVAC is possible as I've had FDRS all along.

OP
OP

poomobile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
I ended up going back to old hvac control. For anyone looking, if you coded your truck as a 250 to get the button for the heated steering wheel, you need undo that before activating the unreal theme and the soft hvac buttons and on screen climate bar
Sponsored