First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
While "safe" driver's benefit from this, they will use it far more often to penalize people and raise rates. Every insurance company is charging more these days. Think about scenarios where you have to react to another driver and slam on the brakes or accelerate to avoid someone doing something stupid...there goes your rates. The systems don't know if you're driving like that on purpose or defensively. Good luck arguing why you had a few episodes of rapid acceleration or slamming on the brakes, even with a dash cam. The other thing that concerns me is the driverless system Ford is trying to include on all of their vehicles (Bluecruise Equipped). There are cameras that watch you all the time if you choose to utilize the system. Who's to say they aren't watching all the time anyway? I actually asked the dealer to exclude that option on my 2024 build, but I don't think they can.

I also don't like being told how to drive my vehicles. There is no reason to share "Driving Analytics" or anything not essential to the function of the vehicle, imo.

That said, all of these nannies are turned off on all of my cars.
i brought a similar scenario with Farm Bureau and the ap we use to track trips and safe driving
It was expressed to me the ap is knowledgeable or set to monitor
over ten for ten minutes in speed, it senses if your handling the phone vice it bouncing around the center console cubbys
and if also "abreast" of the truck adaptive cruise STOP or emergency actions it can take to avoid a collision

so far its logged ME as perfect trips and i drive spirited, but not dangerous
i used sprt mode and let the truck grip winding roads etc and i use all the trucks safety things to keep me safe
hopefully we get a break cost wise

And I just received an email that cut 240 off my renewal. For using the app.
But yes ford, insurance, Google are watching

Ford F-150 How much is Ford spying on us? Screenshot_20240315_092129_Routely
Sponsored

Last edited:

Old Hat

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT RCSB, 2005 ZR2 Blazer 5 sp manual
While "safe" driver's benefit from this, they will use it far more often to penalize people and raise rates. Every insurance company is charging more these days. Think about scenarios where you have to react to another driver and slam on the brakes or accelerate to avoid someone doing something stupid...there goes your rates.
You make it sound like a single emergency incident will trigger a rate increase. I don’t think it works that way for reasons I mentioned earlier. I can’t even remember the last time I had to make an emergency maneuver that would have triggered a reaction on the snitch-o-meter. Actual safe driving behavior greatly reduces the likelihood of incurring these events. Anyone having many of them in a given period simply is not a safe driver and should pay more! As it is now, the safest drivers are paying more than their fair share to cover the costs incurred by the others.

Dakar09

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 FPace SVR, '50 Ford F-1, '65 Ford Galaxie 500
I'm glad this worked out for some of you on here, but you are likely in the minority.

I could not disagree with you more on what or who determines what a "safe driver" is. We are getting into incredibly subjective determination with that. And to go back to the OP's original query, it should not be up to technology to determine that, nor should it be sent without consent to an insurance carrier, who's primary job is to make money. Meatheads who constantly drive like morons above their skills or abilities and cause accidents SHOULD pay more. That comes out in the actual policies when these idiots have to find or pay for insurance. Those of us with the skills or extensive driving experience and heavy feet ENJOY driving vigorously when it's prudent or "safe" to do so but don't cause accidents should be able to enjoy our time behind the wheel without Big Brother watching.

And not to point out the obvious, but driving "safely" for a short time while the data is transmitting and then disabling it to drive more aggressively seems a bit hypocritical.

BTW, this NOT me passing judgement on anybody in this thread. Just expressing an opinion.

Last edited:

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
as explained to me by the head shed at Farm bureau the app, knows what features are in your vehicle as each set code on the app is vehicle specific, so in reality if you have to make a sudden or abrupt maneuver to avoid a crash, its not going to DING you in being a bad driver
it does not download data from the vehicle, only uses data acquired by the phone
it uses the program to take an overall VIEW of your driving, vice a per second count of your good or bad
they even stated driving over speed limit is not an issue, but over ten over for over ten minutes would ping as a negative event for that drive cycle and would be cumulative in the averages
key words being cumulative driving record, not based on each days drive.

for us, if it logs that we are good drivers, which we are and get discount...OUTSTANDING
if it says we suck and does not raise my rates, thats good to

this is new for us and i will forget phone is tracking and drive normal. hopefully that nets me lower rates, since the gov has no intentions of ever holding people accountable for no insurance

BUCKETCOWBOY

First Name
DAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLSTX 5.0 4X4
Occupation
PICKLE MANUFACTURER
My insurance company uses an app that tracks your general driving.. rabbit take offs, hard stops
Diddling with your phone while driving
10 over posted limit for more than 10 minutes
You get a score at end of each trip
Been using it now 2 weeks

So far my 3k dollar 6 month policy for 4 vehicles snd 3 drivers has not gone down🤗🤗🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤗
However on days I plan to commit crimes, I leave phone at home and disable sync
🥰🥰

Seriously.

We are watched every where.
Have fun with it

Borrow your friends phone, go to Google and search hookers, or the like
Close browser

And just wait until they start freaking out from ads😇
speeding is not a crime. It is a traffic violation.

Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation

mrerick

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150; 2019 F-150
Occupation
Retired
In today's world, social media like Facebook, Twitter and forums have conditioned us to give up our privacy for a variety of benefits. The Insurance industry knows this and is relying on this in order to implement these surveillance approaches to risk rating.

The use of these techniques will be incremental over time. Some states, have prohibited using this monitoring data for these purposes. Also, your credit history contributes to your premium rating.
Sponsored