Hot cab after Pro Power

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
I think I might understand why my truck interior is so hot after running in Generator mode with my RV - the inverter is in the cab.

Most of us, including myself, turn OFF the HVAC to conserve fuel - after all, why cool the cab if noone is sitting in It? But with the inverter running at the load of a 30A RV, it is going to be generating a lot of heat.

The next time I run my RV off Pro Power, I am going to leave the HVAC on and set to a reasonable temperature level. That should compensate for the heat generation - I will just have to quantify the fuel consumption difference somehow.
Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
It should make the inverter happier too, even though it should be designed for the expected temperatures plus a safety factor.

The other option is cracking down some windows. Even just enough to slide a piece of paper in makes a difference without inviting creatures or rain in.

Ford could have used the cab as a heatsink with some thermally conductive epoxy but then you run into one of electronics other big enemies: vibration.

Hopefully the next gen. PB will be better sorted.

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Which generator do you have? I thought the 7.2KW generator lived under the truck, not in the cab. Do you have the 2.4KW generator (which I believe lives in the cab, but could be mistaken)?

BRDVPRA

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 2021 Explorer ST
Occupation
Yep
I think I might understand why my truck interior is so hot after running in Generator mode with my RV - the inverter is in the cab.

Most of us, including myself, turn OFF the HVAC to conserve fuel - after all, why cool the cab if noone is sitting in It? But with the inverter running at the load of a 30A RV, it is going to be generating a lot of heat.

The next time I run my RV off Pro Power, I am going to leave the HVAC on and set to a reasonable temperature level. That should compensate for the heat generation - I will just have to quantify the fuel consumption difference somehow.
I have experienced the heat on the power pro too. I tracked a lot it down to the 12" screen. Once I turned that off when it is in use, the temps stay somewhat normal. It got extremely hot to the touch. There is a button right under the screen that you can just to kill the display once it is up and running. Then you can monitor the ProPower from your Ford Pass app if needed.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
this button for screen, which strangely is not mentioned in any of my OM or the digital version.
i stumbled upon it by happenstance

Ford F-150 Hot cab after Pro Power new finds (3)_LI

Sponsored

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
OP
OP
don.mullins

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
Which generator do you have? I thought the 7.2KW generator lived under the truck, not in the cab. Do you have the 2.4KW generator (which I believe lives in the cab, but could be mistaken)?
I have the 7.2kW. There appears to be an inverter under the passenger rear seat - I assumed that was the only one. Are there 2 inverters?

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
I have the 7.2kW. There appears to be an inverter under the passenger rear seat - I assumed that was the only one. Are there 2 inverters?
The 7.2kW inverter is outside of the cab, that battery under the rear set is the auxiliary battery for various functions on the powerboost.

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
The 7.2kW inverter is outside of the cab, that battery under the rear set is the auxiliary battery for various functions on the powerboost.
What He said ^^
Sponsored