First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bullitt, 2020 F-150
Occupation
Babylon 5 security
I'm sure this has been asked in various forms, but I need to replace my stock Wranglers. I have an F-150 FX4 s-crew 5.0. I only drive 10,000 miles/year. The truck is basically a daily driver, no towing, fairly light loads. I live in the hills of southwestern PA, and while we don't get many deep snows, there is a near-constant glaze of thin icy pack on the roads, some years. My only "off road" is a few drives up and down the beach in the Outer Banks. The drive to get there is 8+ hours with 4 full-size adults and a bed packed with far too much luggage and boxes. There's a lot of really soft, fairly deep sand there when I drive on the beach.
I'll be going up in size slightly, from the stock 275/55R20's up to 275/60R20. I've narrowed my search to the General Grabber ATX's or the Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S. I like the Falken Wildpeaks but they are not made in the US, so that's out. I've had good luck with Coopers on passenger cars, and they are $200/set less than the Grabbers, but I'm not seeing any first-hand reviews about how they are in soft sand. I love the looks of the Grabbers, and they get great marks all around, but they are more $ and are D-load -- rougher ride? Any feedback from first-hand experience is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
My truck came with ATX's, 265/70R18's. I find them quiet and there are not a harsh ride. I would replace them with ATX's when this set is done.

SpaceWhiteF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I would go coopers all day, I don’t have direct experience with the 4s but the AT3 XLT is amazing. My buddy have them on two of his f150s. Great tires, the 4s is a slightly more highway directed tire compared to the AT3 XLT.

OP
OP

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bullitt, 2020 F-150
Occupation
Babylon 5 security
I would go coopers all day, I don’t have direct experience with the 4s but the AT3 XLT is amazing. My buddy have them on two of his f150s. Great tires, the 4s is a slightly more highway directed tire compared to the AT3 XLT.
Thanks. Any experience with them in the sand?

SpaceWhiteF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Thanks. Any experience with them in the sand?
For short drives on the beach I only have experience with duratracs, sorry man. I would think that most all terrains would perform similar in the sand.

Sponsored

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
I've been using one version or the other of the Cooper Discover series for a couple of decades.

On my Truck, the Wife's Jeep and Class B RV.

I've nothing to compare to about performance in sand but no complaints on several trips to FL beeches, in the truck, or the class B.

My Wife thinks they're noisy and not great in the wet, compared to the original Goodyears on her Jeep. I've no such complaints.

I think they're a good value choice but to each his own and don't know anything about your other choice.

jp1170

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 SCREW Lariat 501A
Occupation
Sr. Systems Engineer
@JimL I ran the Coopers on my 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie in a 275/60/20 and was very pleased with them. I put about 40,000 miles on the tires before trading the truck only because of the market during the pandemic. They kept balanced well and were quiet as long as you rotated them. They had a tendency to start cupping if you went more than 5,000-6,000 miles between rotations. During that time i was working a lot on a job in the mountians of eastern kentucky so they saw quite a bit of both highway and off road use. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again. I've also ran the Cooper ATP that are exclusive to Discount Tire and had good luck with them as well.

OP
OP

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bullitt, 2020 F-150
Occupation
Babylon 5 security
@JimL I ran the Coopers on my 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie in a 275/60/20 and was very pleased with them. I put about 40,000 miles on the tires before trading the truck only because of the market during the pandemic. They kept balanced well and were quiet as long as you rotated them. They had a tendency to start cupping if you went more than 5,000-6,000 miles between rotations. During that time i was working a lot on a job in the mountians of eastern kentucky so they saw quite a bit of both highway and off road use. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again. I've also ran the Cooper ATP that are exclusive to Discount Tire and had good luck with them as well.
Thanks! Were they the AT3 4S's?

kb2755

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT 302A Sport
My neighbour has the AT3 4S in SL 275/60R20. I know he’s been extremely pleased with his through dry, wet and snow/ice.

I just put the ATX in SL 275/70R18 on last week so not much to go off of yet. So far fuel economy has taken a hit compared to the oem wranglers, but I’m hoping as the winds die down and the temperature rises things get better. I will say, I doubt I’d do these ATX tires again when they need replacing. I’d probably go with something with a better rolling resistance. I thought being OEM for the tremor they’d have been a bit more geared towards on road fuel economy.

OP
OP

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bullitt, 2020 F-150
Occupation
Babylon 5 security
My neighbour has the AT3 4S in SL 275/60R20. I know he’s been extremely pleased with his through dry, wet and snow/ice.

I just put the ATX in SL 275/70R18 on last week so not much to go off of yet. So far fuel economy has taken a hit compared to the oem wranglers, but I’m hoping as the winds die down and the temperature rises things get better. I will say, I doubt I’d do these ATX tires again when they need replacing. I’d probably go with something with a better rolling resistance. I thought being OEM for the tremor they’d have been a bit more geared towards on road fuel economy.
Excellent feedback, thank you. I like the more aggressive look of the ATX's and like that they'd be better equipped for the fully-loaded trip to the OBX and back; they also look like they'd be better in the sand (1-2x/yr); but the DD component is whispering "AT3 4S". Ugh hard decision.

Sponsored

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat FX4 2022 Bronco Badlands
Occupation
Retired FDNY
FWIW, I'm going with the General A/TX's in the near future. I don't think the stock Hankooks were made for the beach or snow.

OP
OP

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bullitt, 2020 F-150
Occupation
Babylon 5 security
FWIW, I'm going with the General A/TX's in the near future. I don't think the stock Hankooks were made for the beach or snow.
I got through the sands ok, just ok, with the factory Wranglers. Traction control disabled, rear locked, 4H, and don't let the momentum die down! I bring my own recovery strap, shackles, and small shovel just in case. But since I have to get new tires, I want better.

SpaceWhiteF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Excellent feedback, thank you. I like the more aggressive look of the ATX's and like that they'd be better equipped for the fully-loaded trip to the OBX and back; they also look like they'd be better in the sand (1-2x/yr); but the DD component is whispering "AT3 4S". Ugh hard decision.
If you like the look of a more aggressive tire I know you would love the Cooper AT3 XLT, they are absolutely amazing. The 275/70R18 is the perfect size. Maybe even look at the Cooper ATP 2 tire. Those are also amazing! So many choices!!

OP
OP

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bullitt, 2020 F-150
Occupation
Babylon 5 security
If you like the look of a more aggressive tire I know you would love the Cooper AT3 XLT, they are absolutely amazing. The 275/70R18 is the perfect size. Maybe even look at the Cooper ATP 2 tire. Those are also amazing! So many choices!!
Too many!

klvanzu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost
I've had the ATX 275/70R18 (same one that comes on the tremor).on my truck for almost 20k miles and they have been fantastic. I have nothing negative to say about them and will replace with the same tires once they're done (which I imagine will be 60k+ miles)
Sponsored