FX4 Off Road Mode - How Does It Work?

Norcal_Flyfisherman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
I think I read somewhere that one or more of the FX4 off road modes operates similar to a front locker, but I have been able to find very little information about them. Does anyone have any insight to how these modes work?
Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Similar to Toyota’s and an old off-road trick of pulsing the brakes. Only, when using the ABS system, it can work faster and on specific wheels.

When a tire lifts or can’t get traction, the ABS/TCS computer senses slip. It will brake the wheel/s without traction and the differential will send all the power to the wheel that hopefully has traction. It will do this as fast as the signal from the wheel speed sensors allow and is pretty impressive to watch in action.

It’s actually a better option than an LSD like a Torsen or clutch pack because with one wheel completely off the ground or wet grass, they act like an open diff. A trick in Torsen equipped RWD cars is to put the parking brake on a few clicks to preload it in sketchy conditions, to a lesser degree it will also work on a clutch pack.

OP
OP

Norcal_Flyfisherman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
Similar to Toyota’s and an old off-road trick of pulsing the brakes. Only, when using the ABS system, it can work faster and on specific wheels.

When a tire lifts or can’t get traction, the ABS/TCS computer senses slip. It will brake the wheel/s without traction and the differential will send all the power to the wheel that hopefully has traction. It will do this as fast as the signal from the wheel speed sensors allow and is pretty impressive to watch in action.

It’s actually a better option than an LSD like a Torsen or clutch pack because with one wheel completely off the ground or wet grass, they act like an open diff. A trick in Torsen equipped RWD cars is to put the parking brake on a few clicks to preload it in sketchy conditions, to a lesser degree it will also work on a clutch pack.
Thanks! It sounds a lot like the Brake Lock Differential on my Jeep.

Farmerj

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2020 (2023)
The Raptor actually comes with a Torsen front differential. So…
Sponsored