Sponsored

Forscan Lite to monitor transmission fluid temp

Onyx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 3.0L Powerstroke
Sorry if this has been asked. XLT here so I can't get the dash to show this. I saw the thread where you can use OBDLink app to do monitor transmission fluid temps with a phone, but can't find info on a PID in Forscan Lite. I bought the license for Forscan Lite but can't find it in there so I hope it's possible.
Sponsored

RcFlyer330

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Limited Powerboost
it should be in there. when you add a pid in forscan lite click all modules first then click the plus sign to add a pid it should be located in the pcm. search PCM.TFT and it should show up also by default the temp units are in celsius you can change it by tapping the pid listing and changing it.

OP
OP
Onyx

Onyx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 3.0L Powerstroke
it should be in there. when you add a pid in forscan lite click all modules first then click the plus sign to add a pid it should be located in the pcm. search PCM.TFT and it should show up also by default the temp units are in celsius you can change it by tapping the pid listing and changing it.
Thanks, I'll take a look tomorrow.

OP
OP
Onyx

Onyx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 3.0L Powerstroke
So I looked in PCM and the only one appearing is PCM.TFT_F -Transmission Fluid Temperature Status. It gives you a status of "Fault" or "No Fault".

What I really want to do is monitor the temperature. The only other option I can find is IPC.IPC_Transmission Fluid Temperature Status. It's also not helpful.

Is there no PID to monitor temperature?

RcFlyer330

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So I looked in PCM and the only one appearing is PCM.TFT_F -Transmission Fluid Temperature Status. It gives you a status of "Fault" or "No Fault".

What I really want to do is monitor the temperature. The only other option I can find is IPC.IPC_Transmission Fluid Temperature Status. It's also not helpful.

Is there no PID to monitor temperature?
interesting.... on my 22 f150 the pid is labled PCM.TFT. try searching transmission or TFT in forscan under the pcm module and see what comes up. every ford i have used forscan on has had the transmission temp but labeling is different for each vehicle.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Onyx

Onyx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 3.0L Powerstroke
interesting.... on my 22 f150 the pid is labled PCM.TFT. try searching transmission or TFT in forscan under the pcm module and see what comes up. every ford i have used forscan on has had the transmission temp but labeling is different for each vehicle.
Damn, Yeah, I searched a variation of different things. What trim is your 2022? I wonder if the lack on transmission temp is exclusive to XLT, seeing as how we can't activate the temps on the dash using Forscan. That would be super F**ing annoying because it's a vital stat to have.

I'm driving 14km up a mountain tomorrow and I've never done it in a vehicle where the transmission fluid didn't overheat.

Ford F-150 Forscan Lite to monitor transmission fluid temp Screenshot_20231002-170715

RcFlyer330

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Its a limited trim but that shouldn't matter. my 2010 explorer xlt had the transmission temp pid along with a 2012 and 2021 lincoln navigator. out of curiosity what obd2 adapter are you using?
this may be a long shot but try clearing the vehicle data cache in forscan and then reconnect to the truck just maybe it will show up.

OP
OP
Onyx

Onyx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 3.0L Powerstroke
Its a limited trim but that shouldn't matter. my 2010 explorer xlt had the transmission temp pid along with a 2012 and 2021 lincoln navigator. out of curiosity what obd2 adapter are you using?
this may be a long shot but try clearing the vehicle data cache in forscan and then reconnect to the truck just maybe it will show up.
Thanks, I'll give that a try tomorrow morning. I'm using the OBDLink MX+.

RcFlyer330

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks, I'll give that a try tomorrow morning. I'm using the OBDLink MX+.
You could also try the obdlink app with the enhanced addons for your vehicle(they are free with the mx+). on the dashboard page press and hold any gauge to edit, select display configuration, then under the item dropdown you should be able to search transmission and find the temp pid from there. hopefully one of these will work.

good luck.

OP
OP
Onyx

Onyx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 3.0L Powerstroke
You could also try the obdlink app with the enhanced addons for your vehicle(they are free with the mx+). on the dashboard page press and hold any gauge to edit, select display configuration, then under the item dropdown you should be able to search transmission and find the temp pid from there. hopefully one of these will work.

good luck.
Hey Thanks for that suggestion, it worked. I couldn't get Forscan Lite to work.

I took a different route today and just 3km up the mountain I was surprised how quickly the temp hit 220F. There was a brief flash warning from the gear temp gauge on the dash. I've read a few threads but there seems to be no definitive answer on what the worrying temp is. If I take my normal route I'm sure it will hit 230F half way before I have to pull over.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I'd be surprised if 220F would initiate an alert. The factory service manual calls for the temp to be 205-215 in order to properly check the fluid level.

OP
OP
Onyx

Onyx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 3.0L Powerstroke
I'd be surprised if 220F would initiate an alert. The factory service manual calls for the temp to be 205-215 in order to properly check the fluid level.
I certainly saw something flash there, then pulled over at around 220. I'm going up again tomorrow so will do a better job at monitoring.

OP
OP
Onyx

Onyx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 3.0L Powerstroke
Hey, so, you were right. I saw the flash again today and it was the traction control flashing directly beside the transmission temp gauge. These things are hard to catch when you have a passenger talking a million miles a minute 😅

Today I was alone and drove the same route. I drove 1/3 faster, around 45-50 km/hr where I could and the transmission fluid temp didn't get above 215. The truck did great another 12km up. Even when I encountered a logging truck and had to reverse for a full kilometer down the mountain while he pursued. A little nerve racking but tow mirrors + reverse screen for the win!