Sponsored

Need recommendation for a trailer hitch bike rack.

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
So far I tested two - MaxxHaul and Allen Sports.
Yes, I know, Amazon products. I am not "heavy" bike users, so I am not interested in spending crazy money.
MaxxHaul was probably defective, the screw holes didn't lign up.
So I returned it and got myself an Allen Sports (Deluxe, mind you) only to find out that when you lower it down you cannot fully open the tailgate, you need to unscrew the bottom bolt. Not going to work....I want the rack to work for me, not the other way around.

Can anyone recommend a hitch bike rack that allows to fully open the tailgate at a non-professional budget?

Thank you.
Sponsored

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Powerboost
Occupation
Firefighter
I have a Curt 4 bike, Its build strong, easy to use and its cheaper than Thule or other brands. Its heavy so I think that's one downside.

Reactions: sbi
OP
OP

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
I have a Curt 4 bike, Its build strong, easy to use and its cheaper than Thule or other brands. Its heavy so I think that's one downside.
But does it allow opening of the tailgate without messing with tools? Because the Allen Sports doesn't fold low enough for the tailgate to open, that's my problem with it.

I ordered a hitch extender, hopefully this will solve the problem. I am not going to mess with a ratchet every time I need to access the bed.

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Powerboost
Occupation
Firefighter
It folds low but I never tired to open the tail gate. Most of the time its on my TT not the truck. For the truck I have a Leer Pace Edwards roll top with the T channel sides that holds a bike above the cover.
Sponsored

Reactions: sbi