Sponsored

Rack recommendation for use with BAK MX4?

Rich55Marshall

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Platinum PowerBoost 4X4
Occupation
Retired custom picture framer & Apple Expert
Hey, Folks - I've got a BAK MX4 tonneau cover and now I want to get a rack to carry my bicycles. The Adarac M-Series rack has been recommended because it allows the tonneau cover to roll open and closed, it's advertised as having a no-drill installation using the stake pockets, and it's not roof height so I don't have to lift the bikes up quite so high. I've got a couple of questions; first, my stake pockets appear to be closed - will I have to cut them open? And I wonder will that rack system accommodate either Thule or Yakima bike trays. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Thad_Hawaii

First Name
Thad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Real Estate Development Consulting
Hey, Folks - I've got a BAK MX4 tonneau cover and now I want to get a rack to carry my bicycles. The Adarac M-Series rack has been recommended because it allows the tonneau cover to roll open and closed, it's advertised as having a no-drill installation using the stake pockets, and it's not roof height so I don't have to lift the bikes up quite so high. I've got a couple of questions; first, my stake pockets appear to be closed - will I have to cut them open? And I wonder will that rack system accommodate either Thule or Yakima bike trays. Thanks in advance.

. . .watching as I hope to do both cover and rack when my truck eventually gets built. . .

Undertheradar

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Why not go with a hitch mount? I have a 5 bike vertical rack from Velocirax on my Flex that I’ll be moving to my truck when it arrives.
Ford F-150 Rack recommendation for use with BAK MX4? cjjYQ7nl

21F150_208

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
My rack plan is no rack. I transport two bikes at a time, so my plan won't fit the OP's if their plan includes > 2 bikes. I don't mind stopping a pub for a cool one on the way home and prefer to have my bikes out of sight while I replenish the calories I expended.

I have a rubber mat in my bed - the bikes will lay on the mat after front wheels are removed. A thick moving blanket goes between bikes at touch points to avoid rub with placement made to avoid bending the rear wheel derailleurs.

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Platinum
How long is your bed? The shorter beds only have stake pockets in the back.

I'm terrified of having my bikes higher than the roof. I'm an avid cyclist who cares a lot more about the bikes than my new truck. I know I would drive the bikes right into a parking garage ceiling. I got the truck as a bike hauler.

I use my one-up rack on the hitch when we are camping or have a lot of bikes. When it is just me, I lay the bike in the back. Dirt bike style with tie down straps also works well.

Some people love the gate pads. I have heard horror stories of the gate opening and the bike falling out.

Even lifting the lightest road bikes over the bed is not easy...

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rich55Marshall

Rich55Marshall

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Platinum PowerBoost 4X4
Occupation
Retired custom picture framer & Apple Expert
Thanks, everyone; I'm planning on using the Adarac to carry my bikes while I pull my Airstream Basecamp. The bed of the truck is full of stuff, so that won't work, and I'm hoping the 12" Adarac will end up being easier to transport the 2 bikes rather than loading the bikes into and out of the Airstream. I'd still carry the bikes inside the Airstream on rainy days.

Sean80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 Tremor (on order)
I'm ordering the adarac m series to work in conjunction with the bak x4s. I plan on using it to haul cargo box, bikes, and kayaks. Hitch mounts are cool, but I want to be able to tow my boat. From what I understand, the front stake pockets are covered over and need the plastic cut out. The m series seems like a great way to increase carrying capacity of the truck. You could even tuck stuff between the rack and tonneau cover and tie it down.
Sponsored