Sponsored

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I wanted a bike rack for my new PowerBoost F-150 that would carry two or three bikes solidly in the bed, work with the installed tracks of my LoMax tonneau cover, and could be installed and uninstalled easily. I couldn't find anything that met those requirements so I made this simple one out of aluminum C-channel (5' x 2-1/2" x 1" x 1/8") with Thule fork mounts bolted to the top. I notched the ends so the top of the channel is at the same level as the front of the bed, and later welded a piece of aluminum to rest on the front of the bed for added stability. Each end has a piece of plate underneath that tightens using wing nuts (underneath). The screws on the left side fit in slots in the channel so they can slide left-to-right to make mounting/unmounting easier. I also wrapped the ends with racing tape so they wouldn't scratch the LoMax tonneau tracks.

Ford F-150 New homemade bike rack for my 2021 F-150 IMG_1710

Ford F-150 New homemade bike rack for my 2021 F-150 IMG_1711
Sponsored

EOhana13

First Name
Eden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan murano
I wanted a bike rack for my new PowerBoost F-150 that would carry two or three bikes solidly in the bed, work with the installed tracks of my LoMax tonneau cover, and could be installed and uninstalled easily. I couldn't find anything that met those requirements so I made this simple one out of aluminum C-channel (5' x 2-1/2" x 1" x 1/8") with Thule fork mounts bolted to the top. I notched the ends so the top of the channel is at the same level as the front of the bed, and later welded a piece of aluminum to rest on the front of the bed for added stability. Each end has a piece of plate underneath that tightens using wing nuts (underneath). The screws on the left side fit in slots in the channel so they can slide left-to-right to make mounting/unmounting easier. I also wrapped the ends with racing tape so they wouldn't scratch the LoMax tonneau tracks.

IMG_1710.jpeg

IMG_1711.jpeg
Fantastic creation, love it and it looks really secure However I still swear by my tailgate pad. I can take 6 bikes with me. Can't beat that imo.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
That's awesome!! That's exactly why I got a Lomax as well, for easy removal to put bikes in full length. I going to try just using my 4 bike parking rack and tie downs and see how that goes before putting in this much effort. I only intend to do this for some short local trips.

Have you tested water sealing on the Lomax? We don't get too much rain so not so worried here but any tips I can use on my install to optimize the seal would be appreciated!

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Fantastic creation, love it and it looks really secure However I still swear by my tailgate pad. I can take 6 bikes with me. Can't beat that imo.
What's a tailgate pad? Got any pics?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lippy

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I'm near you, on the Peninsula in NorCal. I just put the LoMax cover on earlier in the week so I haven't actually tested the water tightness. But it does look *almost* completely watertight. It's very nicely made and I can only see water coming in a tiny bit at the front corners, which wouldn't be a problem.

On the bike rack, it only took me about 2 hours. And I'm sure several people on this forum are better fabricators than I am. I could've bought far cheaper fork mounts, but I liked the Thule ones. They were $40 apiece, plus about $20 in metal. Not too bad, and a fun project.

Last edited:

EOhana13

First Name
Eden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan murano
Wow! With all the biking done around this area, I cannot believe that I've never seen such a thing. That is awesome, definitely an option in the future if needed.
Yeah and they are much cheaper than traditional bike racks, this one cost me $150cad

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Haha I thought people swore by these things up in NorCal
Well the company video is really focused on mountain bikes, and I only do roadies and paved trails so maybe that is why... You definitely cannot put 4 mtb on my Thule 5-bike hitch rack, I put 4 roadies on it and have to space them out. But it is far easier to put them in the bed now that I won't have a shell on the new truck!

Hartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
+1 for tailgate pads. This is the primary method of transporting bikes oin trucks up here in Vancouver. I got the Dakine DLX Curve pad (size large) and it's perfect for the new f150s and Rams with the thicker and curved tailgates. Also compatible with backup cameras.

I do a lot of riding with my family and dont really want to take the pad on and off all the time, so thankfully this pad allows my Bakflip MX4 to close while the pad is still on. The rear lip isnt completely flush, but it does close and that's all I care about.

Ford F-150 New homemade bike rack for my 2021 F-150 Tailgate 1

Ford F-150 New homemade bike rack for my 2021 F-150 Tailgate 3

OP
OP
Lippy

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I considered a pad, but (even though it's a truck) I'm a bit anal about finishes and didn't want it rubbing on the tailgate paint.

MJEngstrom

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 BMW X3, 2021 F-150 Lariat 502A
Occupation
IT
I imagine you have to keep Lomax cover in upright position when bikes are on tailgate pad if you have 5.5 ft bed. Or can you have it lay flat next to cab?

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I imagine you have to keep Lomax cover in upright position when bikes are on tailgate pad if you have 5.5 ft bed. Or can you have it lay flat next to cab?
The Lomax trifold does not have an upright position, only the Lomax Stance has that. I'm curious too if you can leave it in the final 1/3 position and still fit the bikes over the tail pad. The cool thing is it is quick release removable (no tools or loose nuts to store) and fits in the bed or can store in the garage if needed.
Sponsored