Sponsored

Ford Loses $2 Billion in 2022 . CEO - Quality lapses remain a major concern.

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
At least the CEO acknowledges the quality problems and the recall problems. Unfortunately he's been talking about improving quality since he became CEO, but things have not improved, and that's not good for those of use stuck with POS F-150s.

Automakers With The Most Recalls In 2022

Here are the 10 automakers that have initiated the most recall campaigns during 2022 and the total number of vehicles involved:
  1. Ford: 67 recalls, 8,636,265 units
  2. Volkswagen Group: 45 recalls, 1,040,885 units
  3. Fiat-Chrysler/Stellantis: 38 recalls, 3,041,431 units
  4. Mercedes-Benz: 33 recalls, 969,993 units
  5. General Motors: 32 recalls, 3,371,302 units
  6. Kia: 24 recalls, 1,458,962 units
  7. Hyundai: 22 recalls, 1,452,101 units
  8. Tesla: 20 recalls, 3,769,581 units
  9. BMW: 19 recalls, 1,000,455 units
  10. Nissan: 15 recalls, 1,568,385 units
Huh. So that new Tundra must be fairing pretty well? I don't see Toyota on the list.
Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
GM announced last week they are purchasing 400 car haulers and will start delivering vehicles themselves directly from factories to dealers because of all the transport problems they are having.Maybe some day Ford will wake up and do the same to get everyone their deleted items truck sooner.Same article from GM authority claims they will be at pre covid capacity by end of the year with no parts constraints and they started retrofitting the heated steering wheels on the trucks they sold that had them missing.Ford needs to get there act together!
wonder why all of them dont already use their own trucks and crews?
be like walmart ? but i bet the union would need their .05 on every vehicle transported.

Ryan74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Carbonized Gray 4x4
Huh. So that new Tundra must be fairing pretty well? I don't see Toyota on the list.
Don’t forget no recall doesn’t mean no problems. A recall is just the manufacturer admitting there’s an issue. There could still be problems but if the manufacturer says nah it’s working as designed then it won’t make the list.

Tremorb

First Name
RB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TBD
Same article from GM authority claims they will be at pre covid capacity by end of the year with no parts constraints and they started retrofitting the heated steering wheels on the trucks they sold that had them missing.Ford needs to get there act together!
My build has the heated steering wheel, advanced security pack, auto start/stop deletes. The only thing I care about is the heated steering wheel. For the price of these trucks, it sure would be nice if Ford would charge me the $140 and retrofit when the chips become available instead of simply deleting it.

Separately, it seems all the high trim package Broncos are coming with the heated steering wheel (from the sample I've taken). Can't figure out why it appears the Broncos are being prioritized for certain features over the F150 high package trucks.

Last edited:

Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
wonder why all of them dont already use their own trucks and crews?
be like walmart ? but i bet the union would need their .05 on every vehicle transported.
The Teamsters union wont go for that, its a cash cow money maker and they dont answer to anybody. GM is going to have a tough go at that unless they hire union drivers and right now there is a big shortage of them. I will believe it when I see it.

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Imagine if Ford was able to meet demand on just Bronco and Maverick?

Ol’ Henry is spinning in his grave at the shit-show of the past few years causing production to screech to a halt and trickle out missing badges and other pissant parts that should have resulted in a complete reevaluation of their newer business model.

Pretty much every manufacturer has also repeatedly made the mistake of ditching their most fuel efficient vehicles when they sell poorly only to be caught unprepared when prices in fuel spike.

Ford could have sold half a million Focus and Fiesta models had they not bet the farm on half ton trucks and SUVs.

Reactions: 780

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Don’t forget no recall doesn’t mean no problems. A recall is just the manufacturer admitting there’s an issue. There could still be problems but if the manufacturer says nah it’s working as designed then it won’t make the list.
exhibit A: rear axle bolts shearing off
exhibit B: leaking heat exchangers

RLTW175

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 SCrew, STX 5.0
Occupation
Fire Starter/Meat Burner turned Sales Guy (but I still light fires)
I think that would be interesting too, but I don't think that would make Ford look any better among the top selling brands. GM and Toyota sold more vehicles in the US in 2022 than Ford, but Ford still had more recalls by far. Even taking a brand like Nissan that sold half as many vehicles as Ford, but had a fraction of the recalls. Tesla and Mercedes-Benz did have more recalls as a percent of vehicles sold.
To be fair, Ford likely could have sold significantly more vehicles had they been able to source that all-important blue oval and a few other minor components.

That said, I've heard of a lot of folks with significant quality issues on their new Fords. Guess I've been lucky, not a single issue (he says while knocking on wood)

OP
OP

22F150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 KR Powerboost
exhibit A: rear axle bolts shearing off
exhibit B: leaking heat exchangers

exhibit C: B&O noise explosion

FordestGump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tremor
Occupation
Trains
Certainly feel the quality issues in the truck. Just doesn’t feel that well built.
  1. transmission replaced,
  2. front headlight failure (which still goes into limp mode after repair),
  3. rattling sunroof,
  4. driver seat bottom is loose,
  5. drivers window safety function
  6. trim fitment issues - I bought trim removal tools so I can remove and reseat several trim pieces
  7. paint quality,
  8. tailgate untended opening into my bike rack
These have all been warranty issues, but damn this truck feels old with only 13k miles on it.

you know how many issues I had with my new 2017 Tacoma in the two years i owners it? Zero. Oil changes and gas were it.

I suspect this truck will self destruct the moment the factory warranty is up.
Right there with you. Starting the buyback process with only 800 miles. Ain't got time for this crap.

Sponsored

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
Would be interesting to see what percentage the number of units represents compared to total units sold.
Exactly.

SumGuy

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 (perpetually on order)
Occupation
Drugs
Right there with you. Starting the buyback process with only 800 miles. Ain't got time for this crap.
Well, Ford did give me a PremiumCare policy for 5yr/75k miles. Which is better than nothing.

OP
OP

22F150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 KR Powerboost
Certainly feel the quality issues in the truck. Just doesn’t feel that well built.
  1. transmission replaced,
  2. front headlight failure (which still goes into limp mode after repair),
  3. rattling sunroof,
  4. driver seat bottom is loose,
  5. drivers window safety function
  6. trim fitment issues - I bought trim removal tools so I can remove and reseat several trim pieces
  7. paint quality,
  8. tailgate untended opening into my bike rack
These have all been warranty issues, but damn this truck feels old with only 13k miles on it.

you know how many issues I had with my new 2017 Tacoma in the two years i owners it? Zero. Oil changes and gas were it.

I suspect this truck will self destruct the moment the factory warranty is up.
I can’t imagine keeping my truck past the warranty period. I feel the same way as you, it feels like it will self destruct once the warranty is up (or before).

So many problems, so little factory support or concern.

Last edited:

SumGuy

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 (perpetually on order)
Occupation
Drugs
I can’t imagine keeping my truck past the warranty period. I feel the same way as you, it feels like it will self destruct once the warranty it up (or before).

So many problems, so little factory support or concern.
Ford did give me a premium care plan for 5yr/75k, which is nice.

but I really kick myself for this truck purchase. I had a paid for v8 4Runner that ran perfect, for a new truck that doesn’t.

Argh…

OP
OP

22F150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 KR Powerboost
"Ford CEO Jim Farley spoke to Automotive News to say that he believes the company's internal dysfunction has returned."

He seems a little late if he's just noticing this now. :)

Farley: Ford’s dysfunction has returned

"Ford CEO Jim Farley spoke to Automotive News to say that he believes the company's internal dysfunction has returned. This follows after Farley acknowledged Ford's quality-related issues in 2022 and said it would take several years to fix..........."
Sponsored