First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
How about "IT manager"
Yesterday I went out with a heat gun, a 1x2 and a ratchet strap, to see if I could just heat the thing up and put a new bend in it. Long story short, nah. I was able to heat it and soften the plastic but I can't apply an even enough and high temp enough like a factory would do to form the stupid thing. When I took the 1x2 off, it just went right back to the way it was.

Also, I now have a small shiny spot on the bed cap from the heat.

Cover arrived today, I haven't unpacked it yet, but from watching the install video I'm most likely going to have to trim the corners of the liner since they are thick AND they don't sit flat against the bed front, the rails will most likely impact the tailgate when closed.

Plan-1 :: just trim the corners of the liner so the rails will touch the bed front as prescribed, leaving the rest of the liner as-is

Plan-2 :: If the cover can't smush the remaining liner edge down enough to limit it deforming the cover, I'll take an oscillating tool to it and cut the lip from the bad side over until it all sits flat.

Plan-3 :: if cutting a line across it leaves a bad gap or anything else I haven't thought of or just generally looks crappy, I'll cut the entire length of the lip off so the cover can seal against the paint directly.

If anyone sees this before I get to work in a little bit, your thoughts are appreciated. Worst case, I take the whole stupid thing out and get one of those WeatherTech mats, I like the idea of that one since it has the molded edges, and not just a flat mat. I'd like to protect the wheel well humps if at all possible.
Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Sounds like different design than my Ford plastic liner Ford tri-fold combo. Hopefully you can come to solution that works for you. I don't see harm trimming it as needed. Still get a lot of protection out of it.

OP
OP

KYT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
How about "IT manager"
I ended up just trimming a chunk from the passenger side and a small notch in the driver side. Unless I spray a hose in the gap anything in the bed should be fine. Rain should just dribble behind the liner, if it fits in at all.
Next time I'm at the hardware store I'll see if I can find some thin flat weatherstripping to fill the gap
Ford F-150 Ford drop-in bed liner warping P_20231102_185656

Ford F-150 Ford drop-in bed liner warping P_20231103_132706

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
That does look different than my tri-fold. Looks like good solution to me, rain holes will take care of any water. It's not going to rust. :)
Sponsored