Driving mode question

cheesedogf150

First Name
CheeseDog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat
4A to me gives you a better steering feel. Adds some weight to it which I prefer. The mpg hit is pretty minor.
Sponsored

CycleChem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost
That has not been my experience in my '22 502A Powerboost. Being in the Seattle area I am in 4A 99‰ of the time. The only time I am not is when switching back to normal from sport or tow mode and it automatically goes back to 2H. Both the eco screen and my OBD2 dashboard show regen brake working when I let off the throttle or when I lightly apply the brakes. I can get up to 120a returning to the HV battery until it reaches 70% SOC, and normally get >80% on the energy returned popup once stopped. When in blue cruise hands free and traffic the truck seems to do an even better job of regen than I can. Am I missing something here?
Apologies for not being clear. In 4A, you absolutely CAN get regenerative braking. However, the strategy the truck uses to get there is different than in 2H.

In 4A, the conventional brakes engage first. If conditions are met, then it will switch to regenerative braking. You can see this on the EV Coach (white first then green, even if it is in the “box”) and you can feel the conventional brakes engage, especially if you normally drive it in 2H and then changeover.

In contrast, 2H starts with regenerative braking, and if conditions are met, then it engages the conventional brakes. So, the order in which the different braking systems are used is different. Again, the EV Coach will show this change in 2H as it starts green then move to white, and you can feel the difference.

CycleChem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost
When is 2 WD the front axle is disconnected from the wheels and the front driveshaft is disconnected at the transmission.
Genuinely curious here…How is this accomplished on those F150s that don’t have the vacuum integrated wheel ends (IWE)?

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Genuinely curious here…How is this accomplished on those F150s that don’t have the vacuum integrated wheel ends (IWE)?
I understand that they moved on to an electric IWE. Some years ago I learned that my 92 Suburban 4WD, only disconnected the two front half axles but that everything remained rotating. I had observed that there was no difference in MPG between 2WD & 4WD... and found that curioues until I understood the system. As I get it on the F-150 the IWEs disconnect the wheels from their half axle shaft and the transfer case disconnects the front propellor shaft from power. Thus the MPG in 2WD should be higher than in 4WD-H.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
if you have a 22 , 23 and maybe a late 21 with 4 A you most likely do not have IWE that disengage at the wheel hub so the gut are turning whether its in 2H or 4 A
there is a huge thread here somewhere about exactly which trucks have iwes and which ones do not
Sponsored