First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning -Lariat ER, Model 3
Occupation
IT
I'm working up to an audio upgrade in my Lightning. I know a good system will make most any music sound better, but truly I know to make it sound best I need some good FLAC/WAV/Lossless music.

So as I start down that journey a bit, where do you all get your music in that format and what do you use to play it?

I ripped most of my older 400 CD's 10 years ago to MP3 format using iTunes, I can likely increase the format, but I think it will only use Apples format Aflac or whatever they call it. What do you use to rip with if you want to save to FLAC? I've got probably 30 to 40 CD's I'd try ripping agin to a higher format.

If you purchase directly in FLAC, what site to you purchase from?

Once you get your library of FLAC music what do you use as a player? Simply transfer them to a USB and plug that into the truck?

I'm tagging a few others that I've seen mention FLAC in other threads. I appreciate any insight to get me to a more quality listening experience. @Buyer2021 @LargeScaleAscent @Jerry Can @Tosh @F150fan @jesdamian

Thanks for any insight and direction
Sponsored

Paul Neubauer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
I use Apple Music and stream in Hi-Res Lossless in my truck.

Reactions: GDN

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
I happen to use Exact Audio Copy (<Edit, brain fart, not Audacity, that's for something else) freeware running on a PC to rip direct from CD to FLAC. Just force of habit and comfort with long time use of that setup. I don't mess with album art or playlists, just straight album copies.

There may well be 'friendlier' software with more features, I've not looked, for me it's just about the music and ending-up with a USB drive that plays-nice with voice command call-up of artist, album, or song track of my choosing (and that's what I get).

Never purchased anything as FLAC, just copies from my CD collection.

I don't use any streaming service, don't have any tunes stored on my iPhone, ~400+ albums on the USB keep me entertained ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I use Apple Music and stream in Hi-Res Lossless in my truck.
Do you plug in wired to your phone for that connection? I know Airplay uses a wifi connection vs bluetooth, but don't know how to know which version of the music it would play. The only streaming service I pay for is middle tier Pandora. I may have to move to Apple music if I can make it play a good high res.

Paul Neubauer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Making CarPlay use the usb connection instead of the wireless does improve the sound quality if you set it up that way but I am happy with the sound while my phone stays in my pocket. Their is a thread that explains how to connect to your system using USB only but it will no longer use the wireless connection anymore until you reset it.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...nc-4-in-f-150-diy-writeup-instructions.12806/

Reactions: GDN

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hi GDN,

I use the Windows desktop version of dbPoweramp CD Ripper. I think it was $30 or so but it works extremely well. Rips a CD to FLAC in a few minutes on a two year old i7.

I also have Exact Audio Copy as an alternative and sometimes use it if the database in dbPA doesn't find the info on say an obscure old Blues CD. It works just as well, but is a little less intuitive to use.

Hope you still have those 400 CDs to re-encode. I did all of mine before I got the F-150 and Sync 4 is doing very well with the roughly 8,000 songs I have in my truck (all ripped a FLAC from my CD collection). The sound is fantastic, especially with more delicate and softer stuff , I crank that and the clarity can be stunning. On heavier/denser stuff it is still great, just need to pull the volume back.

I'm running everything from Van Halen to old Genesis to 50s/60s/70s pop hits to Oscar Peterson to UFO to Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys to 40s through 90s Country and back to Pat Travers to Ozzy to whatever... One thing I have noticed is how some CDs are mixed better than others. The Unleashed, set properly, reveals the strength or weakness of the source mix/mastering.

One key is to boost the treble some and really back off the bass (or it can be muddy). Doing that lets you hear tighter bass and no mud. One day I may look into replacing the Sub Woofer if I can find one that is proven to have a little tighter bass on metal , but I'm super happy as it is.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I should add I regularly so use the Bluetooth for calls with the USB drive in place. The Phone-to Sync4 Bluetooth connection has only one job: phone calls through the speaker. The USB has one job:music. Had no issues all, knock wood.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
I also have Exact Audio Copy as an alternative and sometimes use it if the database in dbPA doesn't find the info on say an obscure old Blues CD. It works just as well, but is a little less intuitive to use.
Thanks for the jog, I mis-remembered in my post above, EAC not Audacity is what I use for CD rips.

I should add I regularly so use the Bluetooth for calls with the USB drive in place. The Phone-to Sync4 Bluetooth connection has only one job: phone calls through the speaker. The USB has one job:music. Had no issues all, knock wood.
With you 100% on this practice and success (y)

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
I'm running everything from Van Halen to old Genesis to 50s/60s/70s pop hits to Oscar Peterson to UFO to Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys to 40s through 90s Country and back to Pat Travers to Ozzy to whatever... One thing I have noticed is how some CDs are mixed better than others.
I keep a 3-sheet artist/album list (attached FYI) in my console for the occasional guest and to refresh myself of what I have in my mildly eclectic USB collection. Yep, the variation of 'mixing' is significant, sometimes tweaks to the audio output are in order to satisfy my olde ears ;).

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I keep a 3-sheet artist/album list (attached FYI) in my console for the occasional guest and to refresh myself of what I have in my mildly eclectic USB collection. Yep, the variation of 'mixing' is significant, sometimes tweaks to the audio output are in order.

I should do a list like that! I see a lot of overlap with mine, although I have only four Zappa CDs (they all sound particularly great)!! I don't see my favorite though: Live in New York (the 1976 double set with Don Pardo doing occasional live narration!), I highly recommend that!

OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Hi GDN,

I use the Windows desktop version of dbPoweramp CD Ripper. I think it was $30 or so but it works extremely well. Rips a CD to FLAC in a few minutes on a two year old i7.

Hope you still have those 400 CDs to re-encode. I did all of mine before I got the F-150 and Sync 4 is doing very well with the roughly 8,000 songs I have in my truck (all ripped a FLAC from my CD collection). The sound is fantastic, especially with more delicate and softer stuff , I crank that and the clarity can be stunning. On heavier/denser stuff it is still great, just need to pull the volume back.

I'm running everything from Van Halen to old Genesis to 50s/60s/70s pop hits to Oscar Peterson to UFO to Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys to 40s through 90s Country and back to Pat Travers to Ozzy to whatever... One thing I have noticed is how some CDs are mixed better than others. The Unleashed, set properly, reveals the strength or weakness of the source mix/mastering.

One key is to boost the treble some and really back off the bass (or it can be muddy). Doing that lets you hear tighter bass and no mud. One day I may look into replacing the Sub Woofer if I can find one that is proven to have a little tighter bass on metal , but I'm super happy as it is.
Thanks for the info. My primary home use machine is a Mac these days, but I've got a 10 year old PC I still run quicken on and the Work machine is Windows, so I've got access to either. I'll grab those tools to rip with and start anew on the CD's. I think it will be worth it. I still have all 400 of them. When I ripped them the first time - I tossed the jewel cases and put the CD and album art into a "Binder" that I got off of Amazon for storage.

Also nice to know that others have wide listening choices - I love some OLD country, and a lot of the newer country, some rock and pop from the 70's to 90's to some good piano and even newer stuff like Zhu and Buddha Bar style. I own very little of the newer stuff, the CD's are almost all from before 2000. Likely the best 2 I want to hear on a new system are Dire Straits Brothers in Arms and the Eagles, When Hell Freezes over (I've got that on Blu Ray, will see if the audio tracks are on there or have to repurchase.)

I don't have the Unleased, and kind of glad for that, but the base B&O is coming out and getting replaced. If I'm going to invest money in it then I want something decent to listen to on it.

I have all that music on this little tiny drive put in one of the USB ports. No Apple or Android or Bluetooth or wired any thing else. This is the THE way to get maximum fidelity and reliability, as far as I can tell.

https://www.amazon.com/PNY-Elite-X-256GB-200MB-P-FDI256EXFIT-GE/dp/B07KCXTZT1
Thanks for that. I used and Adata SSD drive in a Tesla for a 4 years, was thinking that would be my choice, but that USB takes up much less room. May try a USBC stick. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I keep a 3-sheet artist/album list (attached FYI) in my console for the occasional guest and to refresh myself of what I have in my mildly eclectic USB collection. Yep, the variation of 'mixing' is significant, sometimes tweaks to the audio output are in order to satisfy my olde ears ;).
Very nice and definitely diverse. I saw Sigur Ros in concert this year, very cool and interesting. Have some Nils Frahm too.

At least you can always switch up the mood when you want to. Love the variety.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
For anyone who wants 70s guilty pleasure one hit wonders this Rhino series is remarkable. Sound is extremely high quality, which is a Rhino hallmark. There are 22 or so in the series, and some seem to be impossible to find, but each one has some real gems I never thought I'd find. Genres are over the place (just like 70s radio!) from Freddie Fender to Redbone to Starbuck. This one even has the theme from the Rockford Files!

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Hits-70s-Have-Nice/dp/B0000032ZE/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?crid=2BGPI802R30BH&keywords=rhino+70s+cd.&qid=1667184121&sprefix=rhino+70s+cd.,aps,155&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A3MEAXUYI7I7WL

Last edited:
OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Making CarPlay use the usb connection instead of the wireless does improve the sound quality if you set it up that way but I am happy with the sound while my phone stays in my pocket. Their is a thread that explains how to connect to your system using USB only but it will no longer use the wireless connection anymore until you reset it.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...nc-4-in-f-150-diy-writeup-instructions.12806/
Thanks for the update to that thread. I had only searched for FLAC earlier and had not found it.
Sponsored