Factory tire lifespan

Buschlatte

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I searched and didn’t find this topic already, sorry if I missed it.

just over 25k on the odometer and my tires are 5/32. With winter coming soon and me having my kids in the car I ordered some new tires today to replace the factory ones.
This seems soon for factory tires to be replaced.

I do not tow.
I rotate every 6k
Proper PSI.
Michelins

I hear rumors o manufactures putting softer tires on new cars so they ride smoother etc.

Has anyone else got such awful life out of their factory tires or is it just me?
Sponsored

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
I've typically always replaced my tires between 25 to 30 thousand miles. There's absolutely nothing like new tires as far as ride and traction, if I could afford to do so I'd replace them every year!

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I’m lucky if I get 10K miles from a set of tires and by then they’re usually cupped, scalloped and corded.

Usually long before that though; I’ll destroy them running over debris, hitting curbs or some other silly shit.

My last set of tires that I was able to wear out was actually six tires because I cut the sidewall on one when the wear was around 50% and I just put a pair of new tires on the front and the best of the three remaining on the rear and rotated the third to the spare and then never rotated them again. By the time that I reached the wear strips, I got a puncture and swapped out the spare, replacing that with a $10 used tire and then almost immediately got another puncture and then replaced the whole wheelset with some barely used steel take-offs.

One important thing is to get name brand tires made somewhere with decent quality control. On pretty much every used vehicle that I have owned that had cheap tires, I have experienced nearly every kind of construction defect.

I don’t think that the OEM tires have a softer compound but some of them are definitely lighter than the off the shelf tires with the same name/specs and that’s more to game the CAFE numbers than anything else.

The mileage numbers for tires is really for gentle highway use and you shouldn’t expect it if you are tossing the truck around or enjoying the boost a lot. 25K is still pretty respectable and you likely got there following good practices.

Sponsored

MillstoneF150

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 CCSB Space White STX
Im at 31,500 miles and it looks like I'll only get 35k until they hit the wear bars. The OEM tires are a cheaper version of the AT2 and made in Korea.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I searched and didn’t find this topic already, sorry if I missed it.

just over 25k on the odometer and my tires are 5/32. With winter coming soon and me having my kids in the car I ordered some new tires today to replace the factory ones.
This seems soon for factory tires to be replaced.

I do not tow.
I rotate every 6k
Proper PSI.
Michelins

I hear rumors o manufactures putting softer tires on new cars so they ride smoother etc.

Has anyone else got such awful life out of their factory tires or is it just me?
There is no answer to this. Ive had OEM last 70k, ive had them last 25k.

All depends.
Sponsored