First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I only had one other answer and it was regarding heat. There must be more reasons for all the hate of the auto start/stop since people are paying money to disable it. Is it just "it annoys me" or is there some functional reason that it is causing? Personally I always get annoyed when it DOESN'T auto-stop, as I hate sitting there wasting fuel at long lights or drive thrus.
Sponsored

rjpicucci

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew XL
Not sure if it's an engine thing but I've got the 5.0L engine and I barely notice it if it stops/starts. In fact, the only time I pay attention is when I want to point out the feature to someone. For me, there's no accelerator lag for normal driving and when the engine starts back up, all I feel is a quick vibration and I'm off. You wouldn't know it was there unless you were looking for it.

Drkmacleod

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
Manufacturing
LOL well I wouldn't either! You got lucky with that glitch. Maybe you got a Canadian version...
Yea I dont know! I am going to leave it alone. I am sure at some point it will reset it self and I will have to turn it off every time.

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
What about wear and tear on the engine?
Is this a known thing or speculation? I am honestly asking. I am trading my 2017 in and it has had zero issues under the scheduled maintenance so it could be I haven't owned it long enough. Though 1 truck is merely anecdotal so my experience wouldn't matter anyway.

I view the feature as similar to what we have been doing in semiconductors for my entire career. The goal is to idle as efficiently as possible, otherwise your battery in every electronic device would die really quickly. It is pretty common design practice to cut the main apps processor entirely and just let something in the system wake it as needed. Other components in the system all cast a "vote" to either block the processor (or engine) from dropping into sleep. In the truck the votes would be Battery Charge level, A/C running, Heat running, Engine temperature too low, Tow or Sport mode, and Enable/Disable button. In electronics there are certainly tradeoffs as well! And the feature only pays off if the dwell time in sleep is long enough otherwise you pay MORE energy to do a quick idle and repay the startup energy again. I could write another paragraph on all the downsides in electronic devices, but it would be extremely boring. I just want to learn about the downsides in our trucks so I don't feel completely duped by this feature that I've grown to love!

Thanks!

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Maybe I should have just started a new thread instead of hijacking lol

sglide05

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
Yes it does.
Nope, it does shut off in sport.
07112492-1939-466B-A1FA-853B080B56D6.jpeg

That's what I was saying. If you put the transmission in sport mode the auto start/stop is disabled until you switch out sport mode. Once you are in normal transmission mode you can manually shut it off as well.

Sacbone

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited in Star White
Occupation
Retired from printing, engaged in Real Estate management
That's what I was saying. If you put the transmission in sport mode the auto start/stop is disabled until you switch out sport mode. Once you are in normal transmission mode you can manually shut it off as well.
I am in sport mode. see bottom left of instrument cluster shows the "S" (sport mode). Tach is at zero. (engine not running). If let off brake, vehicle will start and drive

Sponsored

sglide05

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
I am in sport mode. see bottom left of instrument cluster shows the "S" (sport mode). Tach is at zero. (engine not running). If let off brake, vehicle will start and drive
Is yours a Powerboost model?

Viper1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT
I dont think my auto start/stop is ever on. Is this a canadian truck thing? Or is this feature broken on my truck? In any case, im glad i dont have to turn it off every time i drive. Just curious.
You actually have to come to a stop for this to kick in. ;). Haha. I mean full stop, not rolling. :p

Hartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
You actually have to come to a stop for this to kick in. ;). Haha. I mean full stop, not rolling. :p
haha. full stops make the trip take longer. Thats crazy talk.

Seeing that u are in AB, does your truck have auto-start on by default?

Viper1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT
haha. full stops make the trip take longer. Thats crazy talk.

Seeing that u are in AB, does your truck have auto-start on by default?
Yes it does. I don’t mind it as much as others, though I’ve never had it any vehicle. When I come to a stop, I briefly release the break and trigger the Tran and stop the auto stop, and that’s fine for me. I will admit that my wife’s Chevy blazer has even less lag than the f150, I don’t feel the lag is too bad.

That being said. I’ve only had my truck about a week and a half, and haven’t been able to have any fun with it until today. Drove into the mountains today. On the way home I kicked it into sport. Was behind 2 vehicles (1 was a friend) going speed limit (82ish). I pulled out and within 2 seconds I was passing the front car and had hit a speed that I won’t mention on here, as I don’t need people to get judgemental, but boy was it fun and it picked up super quick (3.6 eco). And yes I released the gas when I reached the front car, but wooo!!! That was fun!
Sponsored