• Watchers 14

TheDon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 3.5L V6 XLT FX4
I am having the same issue with my 2023 3.5, I am getting it looked at by the dealer on 10/2/23. You can hear the tin can rattle noise when you shut any the four doors after driving for approximately 30 minutes or longer. You won’t hear the noise when the truck is cold. Really annoying for a brand new truck and Ford should figure out a solve for this as the issue is clearly happening often.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Deleted member 17130

Don your video is exactly what's going on with mine you can even slap the resonator and recreate the noise after driving. Bring your truck to the dealer and tell them how to recreate the sound. Also show that video again

TheDon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 3.5L V6 XLT FX4
Don your video is exactly what's going on with mine you can even slap the resonator and recreate the noise after driving. Bring your truck to the dealer and tell them how to recreate the sound. Also show that video again
Thanks for letting me know. What is the solve for this? I called Ford HQ but they did not care about my concern. Dealer also claims they cannot “recreate the noise” even though I have several videos of it, and it happens to me daily. Really frustrating.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17130

Thanks for letting me know. What is the solve for this? I called Ford HQ but they did not care about my concern. Dealer also claims they cannot “recreate the noise” even though I have several videos of it, and it happens to me daily. Really frustrating.
Wtf 🤣 how can they not recreate the sound? My goodness. There's video proof.

markitzero

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX
I wanted to chime in to say I'm having the same problem with the rattle. Truck has 20k miles and noise has been there since I got it new. Each time I'm at the dealer for oil change or the recalls (wipers, driveshaft, rear axle harness, etc) I've mentioned it. The most recent visit they actually took a look into it but still didn't find anything. However, the rattle is still there.

The dealer continues to give me the brush off but I keep pushing the issue. I have another appointment this week to take a tech for a ride so we will get into it then. I never would have thought the noise to be from inside the resonator.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Deleted member 17130

I wanted to chime in to say I'm having the same problem with the rattle. Truck has 20k miles and noise has been there since I got it new. Each time I'm at the dealer for oil change or the recalls (wipers, driveshaft, rear axle harness, etc) I've mentioned it. The most recent visit they actually took a look into it but still didn't find anything. However, the rattle is still there.

The dealer continues to give me the brush off but I keep pushing the issue. I have another appointment this week to take a tech for a ride so we will get into it then. I never would have thought the noise to be from inside the resonator.

Drive the truck hard! Put it in sport and really get it hot. Drive it for a good 5 minutes at least. Then, have him put a mechanics stethoscope up to the exhaust pipe behind the resonator, in front of it and on it. It will duplicate I guarantee it. Be with them to confirm the sound is there.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17130

my truck is at the dealership. They gave me a 2024 Ford Edge to drive as a loaner while they take care of the truck. Along with this resonator thing they are going to check the ebrake recall harness and then my driver rear door doesn't shut easily like all the others but does stay latched. I will provide an update with what they found and a hopefully easy remedy for the rest of you guys.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17130

Ok folks, here's the updated emails that show my service advisor first saying they couldn't duplicate but with my recommendation it appears they have duplicated it. Hope the pics helps somebody:

Ford F-150 Exhaust Resonator (Pre-muffler) Rattle Screenshot_20231011_171616_Gmail
Ford F-150 Exhaust Resonator (Pre-muffler) Rattle Screenshot_20231011_171631_Gmail
Ford F-150 Exhaust Resonator (Pre-muffler) Rattle Screenshot_20231011_171545_Gmail

9663mu

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iconic F150
I plan on taking my truck next week to get my replacement rear window switch and I plan on showing my service advisor this noise. If I get a part number or anything I will report back. You know I’ve had more issues now with my 2022 than I ever did on my 2018. It’s been in shop for like 10 different things. My 2018 had zero issues. Maybe it’s just coincidence but damn.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Deleted member 17130

I plan on taking my truck next week to get my replacement rear window switch and I plan on showing my service advisor this noise. If I get a part number or anything I will report back. You know I’ve had more issues now with my 2022 than I ever did on my 2018. It’s been in shop for like 10 different things. My 2018 had zero issues. Maybe it’s just coincidence but damn.
That's disheartening to hear that. Aside from the inconsistent transmission behavior and the resonator rattle I like the truck. Sort of miss the 2017 Ram Limited I had.

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A SuperCab 3.5EB, Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd
I get asked all the time what I think of my truck and I say "it's okay - my other F-150s were better built". I've never been impressed with the fit and finish. Gaps in most body panels are inconsistent, driver door has always had a crease in the sheet metal and fits the opening like s$*t (multiple body shops say it may make it worse to try to adjust it), this resonator rattle issue, Sync 4 working better now after some FDRS work/OTA updates but at first had a mind of it's own, sometimes the trailer hitch camera zoom function works sometimes it doesn't (really frustrating), random old school startup chimes from the dash, multiple recalls, cheap/creaky driver door and dash trim pieces, etc. The whole electrical system just seems like it's unfinished and always on the verge of leaving me stranded.

The 3.5 EB has awesome torque and, so far, has been very reliable. I hate to say it but this is my third and probably last F-150. My 2006 was definitely better quality.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17130

I get asked all the time what I think of my truck and I say "it's okay - my other F-150s were better built". I've never been impressed with the fit and finish. Gaps in most body panels are inconsistent, driver door has always had a crease in the sheet metal and fits the opening like s$*t (multiple body shops say it may make it worse to try to adjust it), this resonator rattle issue, Sync 4 working better now after some FDRS work/OTA updates but at first had a mind of it's own, sometimes the trailer hitch camera zoom function works sometimes it doesn't (really frustrating), random old school startup chimes from the dash, multiple recalls, cheap/creaky driver door and dash trim pieces, etc. The whole electrical system just seems like it's unfinished and always on the verge of leaving me stranded.

The 3.5 EB has awesome torque and, so far, has been very reliable. I hate to say it but this is my third and probably last F-150. My 2006 was definitely better quality.
This will be my first and ONLY F-150. I'm bummed I picked a new gen. I've driven many and loved my friends 2017 Lariat F-150

Vick!

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT

It seems that newer vehicles are not as reliable as they used to be. I'm not sure if this decline in quality started after the COVID BS, but it certainly seems to have accelerated recently after it started. A few of my friends who own new Dodge and GMC trucks have also experienced issues with their vehicles. Unfortunately, it seems that American-made vehicles are just not as reliable as they used to be. This is just my personal opinion, but I thought I'd share my two cents on the matter.

Ford F-150 Exhaust Resonator (Pre-muffler) Rattle 1697127830138

SALEEN961

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
Automotive Technician
It seems that newer vehicles are not as reliable as they used to be. I'm not sure if this decline in quality started after the COVID BS, but it certainly seems to have accelerated recently after it started. A few of my friends who own new Dodge and GMC trucks have also experienced issues with their vehicles. Unfortunately, it seems that American-made vehicles are just not as reliable as they used to be. This is just my personal opinion, but I thought I'd share my two cents on the matter.
Declining quality has been an issue for a very long time with certain brands, but covid certainly didn't help matters. Pretty much every brand that builds exciting vehicles that you would like to buy has quality and reliability issues at this point. German cars are still some of the worst cars from a cost of ownership perspective, but they are also some one the nicest vehicles when they are kept in good condition.

If you're looking to avoid high repair and maintenance costs, stay away from Mercedes, BMW, and Jeep Wranglers. The cost of keeping these vehicles on the road would shock most people. People with these vehicles who come in for normal repairs and maintenance twice a year frequently spend 1-3K in a single visit and spending 8-12K in a bad calendar year isn't uncommon as they age.
Sponsored