Elka vs Fox 2.0s

Adronm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 f150 xlt powerboost
I am just about to pull the trigger on a lift and I keep going back and forth between the Fox 2.0 and Elka Coilovers. It doesn’t seem like many people have the Elkas but everything I am reading pulls me towards the Elkas. I am just doing a level on my ‘21 powerboost and it seems like the Elka kit gets me there a little better. I am going to be on road more than off, but I do like to go exploring. With the Fox it what I have read I need to go with the tuned by ford for the ‘15-‘20s and when I go to the Fox website and look at the ones intended for the ’21+ models it says “excludes hybrid”. Anyone have any experience with the Elka? I will be using Cognito UCAs either way I go. Any downsides? There is a sale right now so basically they are pretty cost neutral. I am playing chicken with the sale price right now. My shop is pushing me towards the Fox but my gut is pushing me towards the Elka. I haven't been able to find much on the search.
Sponsored

Nighsight

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
I love the ride my Fox 2.0 gives me. I bought them on a group buy and couldn't be happier. At the time they had a specific strut that covered all of the F150 models except Tremor. Now if you have a hybrid you use the snap ring style 2.0. If Ford buys back my truck, I will probably put the Fox 2.5s on the new one.

SALEEN961

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
Automotive Technician
How much lift are you aiming for? If you're looking for more than 2" it seems like the 2-3" Elka coilovers are the clear choice between the options you're considering.

I don't have any experience with Elka, but I've installed more than a few Fox 2.0 kits. The last time I did a 2015-2020 Ford Performance Fox 2.0 coilover install on a 2021+ Lariat PowerBoost, the goal was to maintain some rake so the truck wouldn't look squatted when loaded.

Out of the box, the 15-20 Ford Performance coilovers had 3-1/8" of threads showing below the lower spring seats. I adjusted the coilovers down until only 2-3/4" of threads were showing below the lower spring seats and that resulted in about 1-1/2" of lift. A their factory setting, the 2015-2020 Ford Performance coilovers should have given this Lariat PowerBoost about 2" of lift.

zx6roclet

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 tremor
Just my 2 cents. Elka used to be really big in the road racing scene, I’ve seen TONS of those small shocks leak on race bikes. Fox all day over elka lol

Has elka ever won any Baja or major off-road races, fox does yearly….

OP
OP
Adronm

Adronm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 f150 xlt powerboost
How much lift are you aiming for? If you're looking for more than 2" it seems like the 2-3" Elka coilovers are the clear choice between the options you're considering.

I don't have any experience with Elka, but I've installed more than a few Fox 2.0 kits. The last time I did a 2015-2020 Ford Performance Fox 2.0 coilover install on a 2021+ Lariat PowerBoost, the goal was to maintain some rake so the truck wouldn't look squatted when loaded.

Out of the box, the 15-20 Ford Performance coilovers had 3-1/8" of threads showing below the lower spring seats. I adjusted the coilovers down until only 2-3/4" of threads were showing below the lower spring seats and that resulted in about 1-1/2" of lift. A their factory setting, the 2015-2020 Ford Performance coilovers should have given this Lariat PowerBoost about 2" of lift.
I would like 2.5 to 3 but the folks with 2 seem to look good and have plenty of performance. Going with 285/75r17s so should be room either way. I don’t love the idea that the ford performance ones are not intended for my truck but again it seems like it works. The Elkas seem like a good option I just haven’t been able to get/find much feedback on them. I also hear most everyone loves the Fox

Sponsored

OP
OP
Adronm

Adronm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 f150 xlt powerboost
Just my 2 cents. Elka used to be really big in the road racing scene, I’ve seen TONS of those small shocks leak on race bikes. Fox all day over elka lol

Has elka ever won any Baja or major off-road races, fox does yearly….
True

SALEEN961

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
Automotive Technician
I would like 2.5 to 3 but the folks with 2 seem to look good and have plenty of performance. Going with 285/75r17s so should be room either way. I don’t love the idea that the ford performance ones are not intended for my truck but again it seems like it works. The Ella’s seem like a good option I just haven’t been able to get/find much feedback on them. I also hear most everyone loves the Fox
The problem with any off the shelf coilover or shock is that it is a one size fits all option and 2021 4WD F150s can weigh as little as 4275lbs and as much as 5540lbs before adding the weight of different options. There are also 14 different stock front coil springs ranging from ratings as low as 314lb/in to ratings as high as 634lb/in. No one size fits all option will give the same amount of lift or be properly valved for each F150. The fact that manufacturers replace 14 different springs with 1 spring rate that falls in the middle of the factory range is a bit ridiculous when you see just how wide that range is. This is why a 2" leveling strut will give some trucks 1" of lift and others 3" of lift.

The 2021+ Fox 2.0 coilovers do fit your truck, but your truck is much heavier and has much stiffer springs than the average F150 so they won't give you any lift at their out of the box setting and this is why they "don't fit". Early adopters of the 2021+ Fox 2.0 coilovers reported not getting any lift on PowerBoost F150s and rather than offer a "heavy" variant with a different spring or factory adjustment; Fox decided to relist them as not fitting any Hybrid F150s.

You can adjust the 2021+ 2.0 kit up, but they come with 450lb/in springs that are much softer than your factory springs. Your factory front springs are probably 554lb/in and closely match the 550lb/in springs used on the 2015-2020 Ford Performance Fox 2.0 kit. If you send me you VIN or tell me the Front GAWR listed on the sitcker in your drivers door jamb, I can tell you what springs you have.

It is because the 2015-2020 Ford Performance Fox 2.0 kit uses springs that closely match your stock springs that this kit is often recommended for PowerBoost F150s. The spring rate and valving for these coilovers just winds up being a great fit that gives most people the amount of lift they without any adjustments. Some poeple looking for even more lift will also install the normal Fox 2.0 kit for 2015-2020 F150 as this kit comes with 650lb/in springs.

OP
OP
Adronm

Adronm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 f150 xlt powerboost
The problem with any off the shelf coilover or shock is that it is a one size fits all option and 2021 4WD F150s can weigh as little as 4275lbs and as much as 5540lbs before adding the weight of different options. There are also 14 different stock front coil springs ranging from ratings as low as 314lb/in to ratings as high as 634lb/in. No one size fits all option will give the same amount of lift or be properly valved for each F150. The fact that manufacturers replace 14 different springs with 1 spring rate that falls in the middle of the factory range is a bit ridiculous when you see just how wide that range is. This is why a 2" leveling strut will give some trucks 1" of lift and others 3" of lift.

The 2021+ Fox 2.0 coilovers do fit your truck, but your truck is much heavier and has much stiffer springs than the average F150 so they won't give you any lift at their out of the box setting and this is why they "don't fit". Early adopters of the 2021+ Fox 2.0 coilovers reported not getting any lift on PowerBoost F150s and rather than offer a "heavy" variant with a different spring or factory adjustment; Fox decided to relist them as not fitting any Hybrid F150s.

You can adjust the 2021+ 2.0 kit up, but they come with 450lb/in springs that are much softer than your factory springs. Your factory front springs are probably 554lb/in and closely match the 550lb/in springs used on the 2015-2020 Ford Performance Fox 2.0 kit. If you send me you VIN or tell me the Front GAWR listed on the sitcker in your drivers door jamb, I can tell you what springs you have.

It is because the 2015-2020 Ford Performance Fox 2.0 kit uses springs that closely match your stock springs that this kit is often recommended for PowerBoost F150s. The spring rate and valving for these coilovers just winds up being a great fit that gives most people the amount of lift they without any adjustments. Some poeple looking for even more lift will also install the normal Fox 2.0 kit for 2015-2020 F150 as this kit comes with 650lb/in springs.
Thank you for the info! Sent you a DM. I appreciate it!
Sponsored