Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150 xlt
Occupation
Engineer
I have had an issue for a while.

My truck got bashed the first week I owned it. The shop replaced a lot of the left rear, whole left bedside, light (not sure about the actual sensor), tailgate, bumper, etc.

My sync got stuck on the 1.7 update, so I came here digging around and that spurred me to get the Tool and run forscan just to look around. I had seen this DTC then as well but since I knew I had to take it in I didn't do anything other than try to clear it. The dealership fixed the update issue after a few attempts. Turns out they didn't do a comprehensive check into the system?

So that brings me to today. I realized I am now not getting power up updates. I am pretty sure I saw a note saying no updates if you have any DTC's. Well looking in forscan again, this one is still there and will not clear. I have no idea if this is something I can fix or if I need to take it in. Any ideas?

Can I "configure" the side object module? Tried resetting it, forced a write with as built info (was already as built), physically inspected it and the connections, everything seems fine. Pretty sure it even works as expected.

(I sat in there so long poking around I killed the battery enough to where it will not start so I am waiting for it to charge....)

U2100 - Initial configuration not complete.
SODL
Side object detection control module - left

Ford F-150 DTC not clearing. sodl1
Sponsored

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Means they replaced it and never PMI the module. Just need to have FDRS or the Dealer PMI it

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Wow, so will the fact that my HVAC module says "Not configured" also prevent OTA updates? I swapped in a '21 to get the temps on the dials and while I reprogrammed it, it does have that DTC that I can't clear.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Wow, so will the fact that my HVAC module says "Not configured" also prevent OTA updates? I swapped in a '21 to get the temps on the dials and while I reprogrammed it, it does have that DTC that I can't clear.
Did you buy it new? It won’t prevent an OTA but that code sets when a new module is not PMI. The PMI sets bits in the rom that tell it the initial config has been completed.

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Did you buy it new? It won’t prevent an OTA but that code sets when a new module is not PMI. The PMI sets bits in the rom that tell it the initial config has been completed.
I assume it was new but I got it off eBay. Is there anyway to set those bits?

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I am pretty sure Jesse is pointing out that FDRS is the tool for running the "PMI" routine.

I wish I knew more about how it all works, but even if I did I don't think Forscan can substitute for all of the functionality of FDRS. You might require FDRS to clear the DTC.

I did not know that OTA is automatically disabled because of a DTC. That would be odd if it was true about every possible DTC.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
No those are in the rom. Only accessible by fdrs since it’s not the part number for your truck it won’t PMI in fdrs either

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Did you program it at all when you got it. The vin needs to be set to your truck that can be done with Forscan.

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Did you program it at all when you got it. The vin needs to be set to your truck that can be done with Forscan.
I did save the config from my '22 to it but don't know how to set my vin in it.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I did save the config from my '22 to it but don't know how to set my vin in it.
Ok if you copied your old hvac and saved it to the new one you are set

Sponsored

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Ok if you copied your old hvac and saved it to the new one you are set
But that DTC will never go away, right? Which is ok as long as I know that and I can explain to my dealer what is up (they're understanding).

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
But that DTC will never go away, right? Which is ok as long as I know that and I can explain to my dealer what is up (they're understanding).
Dealer won’t be able to help. The part will only PMI that is approved as a part number for the truck. That one is not so won’t PMI

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Dealer won’t be able to help. The part will only PMI that is approved as a part number for the truck. That one is not so won’t PMI
Yeah, I wasn't clear enough. They are understanding enough to get why I would have a part in my truck that doesn't belong there. so I can explain why that is if they see the dtc. I wasn't expecting them to do anything.

Thanks for the info and I hope I didn't derail the post too much.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Allted

Allted

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150 xlt
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for all the info. Learn something new everyday. Sorry about the misinformation about OTA's I tried to find where I read that, but it must have been before the coffee kicked in!

I was in the dealership, if they didn't fix it that must mean it is not a big deal, they had it for 14+ hours over two days. Funny the body shop charged a ton of money for that sensor "calibration" can't believe they didn't do a complete job either.
Sponsored