Sponsored

Drive Modes - Is there a Max MPH for making safe changes?

WalterMitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor
While I have read that you have to be going under like 20/25mph to engage the locker, and that it will automatically disengage at like 25mph, I haven't round anything about what speed it's safe to change modes.

I have 4 buttons for which wheels are engaged...2H, 4H, 4L, and 4A. Is there a reccomeneded MPH max for making changes with these?

I also have the dial that allows changes in modes, Normal, Eco, Sport, etc. Same for this, is there a max MPH for making these chnages? Many of these modes, also have a built in change to the drive wheels, eg., going from Normal to Sport, automatically moves from 2H to 4A.

Thanks
Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
agreed other than wheel spin...and 4L not much limit
i have shifted from sport to eco and then to normal at 77 or faster
and have also shifted back to 4A at any speed , but not while accelerating, usually just steady state
so far no WEIRD things have happened o_Oo_O

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Funny I see this now I actually did this yesterday and don’t recommend it. I switched the dial to sport mode going about 45 MPH and the truck slammed the transmission straight down to 6th gear from 9th. Did not feel good. Here on out I won’t go into sport mode from a roll.

Sponsored

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Funny I see this now I actually did this yesterday and don’t recommend it. I switched the dial to sport mode going about 45 MPH and the truck slammed the transmission straight down to 6th gear from 9th. Did not feel good. Here on out I won’t go into sport mode from a roll.
Sounds like it’s what it should do…sport will downshift to have higher revs

OP, no problem switching drive modes. Truck is smart enough to not allow you to do anything that will hurt it. If it wants you to let off the accelerator, it’ll tell you to. If you’re going too fast, it’ll tell you. For what it’s worth, I’ve noted no issues switching between sport and normal at multiple speeds up to 85mph. I go in and out of sport often. Gears change but no issue

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
12 years with my 2011 and I would shift in and out of 4x4 while rolling down street or highway in the winter time. Never any issues. Even that truck was smart enough to manage it without anything blowing up. Long gone are the days of having to physically shift to 4x4. The electronic shift on the fly has been the norm in many vehicles for 20+ years.

This is my first vehicle with 4A and not sure I like the idea yet. I did shift into sport and was surprised to see it shift into 4A. Thought it would just be rear wheels only.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
i have shifted from sport to eco and then to normal at 77 or faster and have also shifted back to 4A at any speed , but not while accelerating, usually just steady state
so far no WEIRD things have happened o_Oo_O
That's because you never got to 88mph. Once you get to that speed, oooh boy, hold on if you switch the drive mode at that speed.

Ford F-150 Drive Modes - Is there a Max MPH for making safe changes? giphy

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
I'm way out of date with what there is now but one thing I didn't see anyone mention, was not switching modes while in a turn.

My 01 XLT 4x4 has electronic shift on the fly.

2H to 4H and back, under 55, coasting, straight. Switches back and fourth without issue.

You can physically move the switch to 4L but nothing will happen, if at speed. Mistook it for the fan control once. I don't know if that safety lockout would require a full stop but I wouldn't want to find out.

Anyway, I think the point is, they've been able to shift from 2H to 4H and back, while underway, for a long time but probably better done with the driveline in a neutral, or slack state, not being under any sort of load.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
This is my first vehicle with 4A and not sure I like the idea yet. I did shift into sport and was surprised to see it shift into 4A. Thought it would just be rear wheels only.
I was a bit surprised too, until I switched back to 2Hi and tried to drive sporty at all. Not sure what motor you have, but the Powerboost with 3.73s blows the rear tires off if you accelerate with any vigor lol. 4A is a really great technology. You get variable all wheel drive where the truck can manage how much power goes front or back, with only a downside of a slight hit to fuel economy. Coming from a full time AWD car, I like the security of having all 4 getting power all the time.

Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
I was a bit surprised too, until I switched back to 2Hi and tried to drive sporty at all. Not sure what motor you have, but the Powerboost with 3.73s blows the rear tires off if you accelerate with any vigor lol. 4A is a really great technology. You get variable all wheel drive where the truck can manage how much power goes front or back, with only a downside of a slight hit to fuel economy. Coming from a full time AWD car, I like the security of having all 4 getting power all the time.
Sounds good to me. My mother has car with AWD and even with small motor it will get up and go.

I have 2.7 after 12 years of the 3.5. I don't notice any power loss with the tune on smaller motor 10 years newer. On paper it's 40 less HP.

OP
OP

WalterMitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor
12 years with my 2011 and I would shift in and out of 4x4 while rolling down street or highway in the winter time. Never any issues. Even that truck was smart enough to manage it without anything blowing up. Long gone are the days of having to physically shift to 4x4. The electronic shift on the fly has been the norm in many vehicles for 20+ years.

I was a little surprised too that Sport mode defaulted to 4A, but it makes sense that you're going to get the fastest performance having the best grip. I was also very happy that you can then manually move to 2H and it still keeps Sprot mode.

OP
OP

WalterMitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor
You must have turned the traction control off too then. Otherwise, the system works great at kicking in and getting you grip.

I have the 5.0, and Sport mode is fun, and the tires are safe with traction control on....with it switched off....and I"m talking about a full 10 seconds holding the button off.....the tires are in real danger.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I've tried to switch to 4A while accelerating, and I got a message about lifting off the accelerator to continue. As soon as I left of the gas, it switched over.
Good morning- I can look into this for you. Feel free to send over a private message with your VIN and dealership information at your earliest convenience.

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L

But nothing was more fun than the manual locking hubs on my 87 4Runner. Who doesn’t love pulling off the side of the highway during a snowstorm and getting out of the car to lock the axles.

My favorite though was a friend’s Tercel from that era with manual lockers.
Sponsored