First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT SCrew SB, FX4 with Tow
Occupation
Teacher
First off, this idea was inspired in a previous post that I cannot find to give proper credit. The user found carpeted floor mats and used them to create a flap to cover the underseat storage. I thought it was a brilliant idea but did not have any extra floor mats. So my wife suggested a utility rug. It worked better than I expected and as much amazing help I've gotten on this forum I wanted to contribute what little I could!

It turns out that a 36" x 24" utility rug (folded in half) is almost an exact fit for the storage length under the longer back seat bench. You do not have to trim the rug at all following these steps:
Ford F-150 DIY Underseat Storage Cover proj-start
_____
Ford F-150 DIY Underseat Storage Cover proj-lining u
_____
Ford F-150 DIY Underseat Storage Cover proj-support pe

1. Remove the front panel from the two brackets; I used a drill and socket.

2. Fold the rug in half so the corners match. Line up the rug to determine where you want to drill the holes. My first set was 1 3/4" from the side edge and used the line where the rubber meets the carpet pile.

3. The screw holes are 1 5/8" apart; after making your first hole, move vertically to make the second hole.

4. Turns out there is a support peg on the storage panel (as shown above) so I needed to put a third hole. While I drilled the holes for the screws, I used a utility knife to carve out an opening while I was attaching the screws.

Lesson Learned - Cutting with a utility knife is less exact but easier. YRMV.

5. Once those were done, I measured over 31" to make the second set of holes. Turns out it's 3 1/4" from the opposite side!

6. Line up the storage panel with the holes in the rug and press the screws through. It was a challenge keeping everything lined while pressing the screws through but the tension of the rubber and the carpet pile did hold the screws in place.

7. Its easier to have all screws in place before trying to screw them in; again YRMV. Put the storage panel in place and press firmly so that the screw can compress the rugs and catch the threads on the bracket. Once the screws catch the threads, they tightened right up with the carpet clamped between the panel and the brackets.

Here is the finished project:

Ford F-150 DIY Underseat Storage Cover proj-finished-2
_____
Ford F-150 DIY Underseat Storage Cover proj-finished

Aside from hiding whatever is stored in the bin, I have ulterior motives. In my 2020, I would sometimes put my folded windshield cover across the top and one of my pups would rest her head on it for long drives. This way she can rest her head anytime and have it be more comfortable than whatever is stored in there.

Hope this helps somebody! And so does Storm:

Ford F-150 DIY Underseat Storage Cover proj-pups
Sponsored