First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
I'm looking at doing a staged upgrade of my exhaust system. Part 1 will be a resonator delete, muffler replacement with a 70 series Flowmaster and application of gold foil to the battery and inverter heat shields. That's all pretty standard, and I'll let you guys know how loud it is.

Part 2 is the more interesting of the bunch: I want to replace my cats with high flow models from Flowmaster, wrap the pipes from the turbos to the cats and from the cats back to the Y, and add turbo blankets. I will also have them add gold foil to the tranny/engine heat shields. My chief goals here are twofold: 1) reduce heat transfer to the electric motor, engine bay and transmission and 2) reduce exhaust back pressure. Goal 1 may be the most important, as I have a theory that high transmission temperatures while towing may be in large part due to elevated EGTs and subsequent heat transfer from the exhaust pipes into the transmission. If I can limit that, then I may be able to avoid cooking my transmission fluid pre-emptively.

I currently plan to use FM 2.5" Federal cats, but the Ford cats are odd: there are two, and the pipes between them is 3" diameter before going down to 2.5" after the second cat. I am unsure if I should use a 3" diameter cat and then a reducer after it, and would like to collect thoughts. Further, I would like to use stainless pipe in the forward section as I don't want it to corrode under the wrap.

Edit: I learned how to spell "Exhaust"
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bugzuki

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 PowerBoost Super Crew 4x4
Sorry they haven't been any replies. It sounds like you have a good project plan, so there isn't much to say. I am interested to see how it works out. I think you are probably the first to do exhaust mods on the truck.

Please post all the pictures along the way. Or videos if you can. I would say I would come and help if I could post videos on my YouTube channel, but Texas is a little far from Reno. When do you plan on start phase 1?

OP
OP

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
Sorry they haven't been any replies. It sounds like you have a good project plan, so there isn't much to say. I am interested to see how it works out. I think you are probably the first to do exhaust mods on the truck.

Please post all the pictures along the way. Or videos if you can. I would say I would come and help if I could post videos on my YouTube channel, but Texas is a little far from Reno. When do you plan on start phase 1?
Probably Wednesday of next week. I'll try to figure out how to get information on the noise level out to the world.
Sponsored