Sponsored

Converting Regular Cab F-150 to Full-specs?

Anon665

First Name
Anon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Saudi Arabia
How much does it cost approximately to convert an XLT Regular cab to a full spec truck? (without exterior specs)

And is it simply a plug n play process that doesn't require any fancy stuff (cutting wires, welding....etc)?
Sponsored

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
I’m not sure there is enough info to answer your question, or I’m just dense. What do you mean by “
upgrading your XLT to “full spec”? Do you mean upgrading the seats and trim to platinum or limited level?

OP
OP
Anon665

Anon665

First Name
Anon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Saudi Arabia
I’m not sure there is enough info to answer your question, or I’m just dense. What do you mean by “
upgrading your XLT to “full spec”? Do you mean upgrading the seats and trim to platinum or limited level?
Yes

seats, systems, touchscreens....etc

(same features as the Limited trim)

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport SuperCrew 5.0L
I may be mistaken, (which wouldn't be the first or the last time) but I think @Jesse-Infotainment attempted that with his XLT. I vaguely remember that there may have been a few options that were either not possible or insanely difficult for the average, or even the highly skilled modder. If he couldn't do it or says don't waste your time or money on it, I would follow his advice. Hopefully he can chime in and correct me and add his insight. The only thing off of the top of my head that I think would be difficult would be active park assist and Co-Pilot360 active 2.0, which includes Bluecruise.

Last edited:

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I took my XL STX to the equivalent of a 502 A Lariat

Mine has Blue Cruise, APA, Power Running Boards.. Multi Contour Seats.

I added everything. It was a base Truck. I have heated and cooled seats.

As far as cost.. that is something with MANY variables. No real answer for that but its in the 10 thousand dollar range Id bet if you go full tilt.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Anon665

Anon665

First Name
Anon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Saudi Arabia
Nice, It would be cheaper ($51.5K) than getting a single cab Sierra AT4 5.3 which costs $61.3k which is less capable than the F-150.

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I took my XL STX to the equivalent of a 502 A Lariat

Mine has Blue Cruise, APA, Power Running Boards.. Multi Contour Seats.

I added everything. It was a base Truck. I have heated and cooled seats.

As far as cost.. that is something with MANY variables. No real answer for that but its in the 10 thousand dollar range Id bet if you go full tilt.
Did you add 4A to yours?

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Did you add 4A to yours?
I haven’t gone to the 4A portrait. I went from the 8” to 12” sync 4

I thought about going to the portrait but decided against it at this point

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I haven’t gone to the 4A portrait. I went from the 8” to 12” sync 4

I thought about going to the portrait but decided against it at this point
I'm not familiar with what "4A portrait" means so excuse my ignorance. I was referring to the automatic 4x4 that Lariats and upper trims come with.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I'm not familiar with what "4A portrait" means so excuse my ignorance. I was referring to the automatic 4x4 that Lariats and upper trims come with.
4A is what is in the Mach E and Lightning

the 12" in the F150 ICE trucks is just Sync 4

Sponsored

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
"4A" in F150 always means the Automatic 4 wheel drive available on Lariat and up only. It's an upgraded transfer case and a button. No idea what "portrait" means.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Jesse is referring to (sync) 4a which is the 15” touchscreen that comes in the mach e, lightning and expedition.

to answer your question about the 4A t-case. I’m pretty sure Jesse did add that

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Yes

seats, systems, touchscreens....etc

(same features as the Limited trim)
What is your level of knowledge and comfort with electrical systems, wiring, and making your own harnesses, not to mention tearing apart the inside of your dash and interior to make the upgrades? It’s all possible, but it’s not cheap or easy

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Off the top of my head, going from 302a to 900a would require A TON of work (new seats, DSM, gauge cluster, HVAC module, touchscreen, lots of interior trim pieces, new steering wheel and steering column, center console, and lots of other parts I’m not considering) and you have to either run while new wiring harnesses and pull everything out of the truck. It wouldn’t be cheaper than upgrading the truck.

however, you can do portions of it, and still make it feel like a much higher trim truck. A few on here have already done it. I think @NavyChief is one of them

NavyChief

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150
Yea I did most of the conversion. Jesse did way more and helped me with mine In various areas. I did the full dash, digital cluster, center console (with work surface), console shifter, 12” sync 4, Sirius with roof ant, door panels, raptor steering wheel with paddles and a few other odds and ends. I lowered it and added a stage 2 whipple as well.
I converted that truck back and sold it (I’m so glad I saved all my stock parts except a couple dash pieces I lost). I now have a company owned 2023 XL 4x4 RCSB but I’m working on a GT350 at the moment so I have a room full of interior parts lol. I’m not sure I’m going to play with the work truck yet.
First thing to do if you haven’t started yet is to find out if your parts counter guy at the local dealer is good with you being there a lot and asking a lot of questions. Make him/her your best friend, my parts guy is awesome and even has one of the master techs moonlighting to help with installing things on his days off If I need help.
Second and just as important is locate a top trim truck that has everything you want already in the interior (color, style and options) just the way you want your truck to be and copy that VIN down so you can give it to your parts guy. Every time I would come in I would give the VIN and ask for a parts breakdown printed of a section, circle all the parts I wanted and he would print me an invoice with part numbers. He could discount certain things but the funny part is if I went online to their parts page I could order the parts right from them to pick up at the dealer for free shipping and usually averaged 30% off.
I did buy some conversion stuff to help but be prepared to pay a premium if someone does it for or you buy the ready to install kits.
If I put a number on what I did I would say $8500 with no seats (I was just going to do leather from leatherseats.com $1500 and just cover what I had as heated/cooled seats weren’t on my list. The performance mods hit $10k so I had $18.5k with me doing everything and I was into the truck (2022 FX4 XLT mid RCSB) at $42k new so $60ish all in.

I hope this helps and have fun, it’s not about the cost it’s the uniqueness of the build. People paying stupid money for Shelby’s F150 and their interior is nothing more than the stock trim with leather seats and a special speedo with a stage 1 whipple for over $100k so I still had $40k left to play with which with $10k RPG forged short block, 10k 10R80, 2500 10 Rib conversion for 16psi, 2500 Fore fuel system I would have been over 1000whp on E85 (this was my exact build on my last GT350 (except I had a dual disc clutch T56 upgrade vs the auto) and still been less money.

Oh and @Jesse-Infotainment I’ve started piecing together a sync 4 8” conversion for the sync 3. I have the APIM, screen and conversion harness plus a full digital cluster just waiting to install a lift in the garage and AC lol sick of 95 degree work.
Sponsored