Sponsored

Collision Camera Error - Dealer Thinks It's My Dash Cam Install

Oakstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 PB XLT 302A
Just want to take the temperature of folks here so I understand what might be going on. The truck was in at the dealer today but goes back in a couple weeks so I want to be prepped. They had it all day but couldn't fully diagnose the camera error.

I have a 22 XLT 302 PB. I got it Dec 2022 and had a dashcam installed at a reputable shop the following week after delivery. Two weeks ago I started the truck and got a "Front Camera Error, See Service" (or close to that) and then "Collision Detection Disabled" warning on startup of the vehicle.

I am just dubious that a camera I had installed a year prior could suddenly be why my OEM camera fails. Is there reasonable case to think this would happen? I don't think the install shop would have spliced into the wires for the OEM cams. If they did and it's failed because of that, what recourse would I have with the installer of the dash cam?

Thanks!
Sponsored

jhelrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 CC Platinum FX4 5.0 4X4 3.73 LB
I'm assuming they powered it directly off the battery or tap a fuse?

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
how is your dash cam powered? mine uses the obd port and others use the pwr off the mirror or a pwr cable down to fuse or 12volt plug.
my thinkware cameras have been in now for over a year and never have they caused a truck fault of any system
but either way they dont talk to the trucks camera
only way it could interfere is if its blocking the upper center windshield camera

did you by chance remove your active air dam portion on the lower bumper? that will send dtcs to the obstacle avoidance system but will not change the windshield camera vision or its operation.

or had a windshield crack or be replaced? a crack that even small can make the cameras do weird stuff, even a rock chip in the sweet spot.

OP
OP
Oakstone

Oakstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 PB XLT 302A
I'm assuming they powered it directly off the battery or tap a fuse?
I asked them to install it as on full time as the car connect kit has a cutoff for 12.2 (If I recall correctly) and I wanted to have the camera power available for a collision or intrusion

Last edited:

Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Does truck show codes?

Dash cam is an easy out for the dealer to point to, but the IPMA camera is above that.

OP
OP
Oakstone

Oakstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 PB XLT 302A
how is your dash cam powered? mine uses the obd port and others use the pwr off the mirror or a pwr cable down to fuse or 12volt plug.
my thinkware cameras have been in now for over a year and never have they caused a truck fault of any system
but either way they dont talk to the trucks camera
only way it could interfere is if its blocking the upper center windshield camera

did you by chance remove your active air dam portion on the lower bumper? that will send dtcs to the obstacle avoidance system but will not change the windshield camera vision or its operation.

or had a windshield crack or be replaced? a crack that even small can make the cameras do weird stuff, even a rock chip in the sweet spot.
The camera definitely doesn't block the front OEM cam. It sits just below the trim piece where the OEM cam and rain sensor are near the rearview mirror. Held on with a suction cup. Hasn't moved in the year.

Dash cam is connected "somewhere" to the 12V power full time. I am not sure where they tied it in. There should be no connection to the truck at all, just the power draw from somewhere.

Have not mucked with the front of the truck at all and haven't got a crack in the windshield or a replacement.

The one tidbit of information is that I had the truck in with the repair guys (at a different facility that did bodywork for me) and they said "we unplugged your dashcam because that's our policy", which is fine with me. I plugged it back in and all was well, but the fault happened when then had the truck. He said to me "I noticed this error on the dash when I started it"

Kinda makes me wonder if maybe it is tied to the power on the OEM camera and him disconnecting my dashcam yanked a wire or something. I'll go take a closer look.

OP
OP
Oakstone

Oakstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 PB XLT 302A
Does truck show codes?

Dash cam is an easy out for the dealer to point to, but the IPMA camera is above that.
Yep there are three codes in the IPMA and there was one in another module. I reset all of them and the three IPMA codes come back. Gimme a minute and I'll run out and grab them for you.

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
Pop off the trim cover around the rear view mirror and give us some pictures. Might be able to see how the power was tapped and what the shop might have done. It sounds like you might have an issue with power or signal between the camera and IPMA.

OP
OP
Oakstone

Oakstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 PB XLT 302A
Seems like there’s power to the camera but it needs calibration?

is there a way for me to do that in Forscan? I reset the IPMA but that didn’t help.

Here are the three codes:
Ford F-150 Collision Camera Error - Dealer Thinks It's My Dash Cam Install Screenshot 2024-01-22 193838

Ford F-150 Collision Camera Error - Dealer Thinks It's My Dash Cam Install Screenshot 2024-01-22 193854

This last one was just a record of a warning I think? I cleared it and it didn't come back
Ford F-150 Collision Camera Error - Dealer Thinks It's My Dash Cam Install Screenshot 2024-01-22 193914

It’s dark out so this view is kinda bad. The wires for the dash can go up into the headliner. I can’t see where they attach.
Ford F-150 Collision Camera Error - Dealer Thinks It's My Dash Cam Install IMG_5169

Last edited:

Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
I would say based on that running the camera calibration might be necessary. I don't think there is any harm to running the calibration, it already doesn't work. The only threads where I have seen people running calibration were to cut down the ping pong effect with lane keeping and BC. You'll need a well marked road / highway which can be difficult this time of year when all the roads are gray in my area and lines are covered.
Jesse might pop in here since someone tagged him with more insight.

OP
OP
Oakstone

Oakstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 PB XLT 302A
I would say based on that running the camera calibration might be necessary. I don't think there is any harm to running the calibration, it already doesn't work. The only threads where I have seen people running calibration were to cut down the ping pong effect with lane keeping and BC. You'll need a well marked road / highway which can be difficult this time of year when all the roads are gray in my area and lines are covered.
Jesse might pop in here since someone tagged him with more insight.
Heh I was going to tag him and then thought I deleted the post but it ended up in a different reply.

Definitely curious if I can try the calibration myself.

I’ll tag @Jesse-Infotainment for real this time haha

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
what was the body work
and i agree it seems they or someone unplugged the truck camera and MOVED the vehicle while it was unplugged..you said work was done a year or so ago?

re-calibration might fix it,
but my question is why did it take a long time to manifest? which begs to ask..if the connector was or is not seated properly and it vibrated loose to set the fault instead

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Heh I was going to tag him and then thought I deleted the post but it ended up in a different reply.

Definitely curious if I can try the calibration myself.

I’ll tag @Jesse-Infotainment for real this time haha
All of those code are calibration related. You can calibrate them in forscan

You’d do the lane departure warning calibration and the 360 camera calibration

Lane departure would take care of two of the codes and 360 cams the 1578

I skimmed the thread. So I’m not clear on what prompted the ipma to lose its calibration.

Have any updates been performed on the ipma?

OP
OP
Oakstone

Oakstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 PB XLT 302A
All of those code are calibration related. You can calibrate them in forscan

You’d do the lane departure warning calibration and the 360 camera calibration

Lane departure would take care of two of the codes and 360 cams the 1578

I skimmed the thread. So I’m not clear on what prompted the ipma to lose its calibration.

Have any updates been performed on the ipma?
Not that I know of, however I didn't have it happen until it went to the repair shop (not the dealer if that wasn't clear) to check a different issue. I wonder if they reset the calibration by accident?

I'm unclear how to actually perform the calibration in Forscan though. If I can fix it myself that'd save me a trip or two or three back to the dealer while they blame the dash cam ;)
Sponsored

Last edited: