Clunk noise on acceleration

ZamoJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT Sport Appearance Lead Foot 5.0
MY 2021 F150 5.0 4X4 has been making a clunk noise when I accelerate from a dead stop. Whether it's from parked or at a stop light, the minute I accelerate it always makes a single clunk noise. This has been going on for over a year. I've taken it it to the dealer on multiple occasions for various service appointments and always mention the clunk noise to them. They always say that the service tech cannot hear anything and that the noise cannot be replicated.
I've read on different sites where guys speak about possible causes. I've read about Integrated Wheels Ends- - which are responsible for switching the front axle between two-wheel drive and four-wheel drive, cleaning and greasing the Slip Yoke, and replacing & greasing the leaf spring isolator bushings. One post also mentioned that it could possibly be due to a binding U-Joint.

Have any of you out there experienced this same clunk noise on acceleration that i'm speaking about?
It's driving me nuts.
Sponsored

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
I really think it's mostly likely the slip joint. These are usually under greased from the factory. it's fairly easy to do, just unbolt the rear driveshaft flange and grease the inside of the front end.

jhelrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 CC Platinum FX4 5.0 4X4 3.73 LB
Front brake pads.

OP
OP
ZamoJoe

ZamoJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I really think it's mostly likely the slip joint. These are usually under greased from the factory. it's fairly easy to do, just unbolt the rear driveshaft flange and grease the inside of the front end.
I’m thinking the same thing. First thing I’m going to try and see if that takes care of it.

Sponsored

jhelrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Front brake Pads?
How so?
I've had this happen on my Wife's SUV. Come to a stop and the pads shift in the caliper, then your vehicle rocks, as soon as you accelerate, pads move forward again and clunk as they drag slightly.

OP
OP
ZamoJoe

ZamoJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've had this happen on my Wife's SUV. Come to a stop and the pads shift in the caliper, then your vehicle rocks, as soon as you accelerate, pads move forward again and clunk as they drag slightly.
Was it a noticeable clunk?

how were you able to resolve that if at all?

jhelrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Was it a noticeable clunk?

how were you able to resolve that if at all?
Yes, replacing the pads is the easiest option. We never did, we live with the clunk. :)

OP
OP
ZamoJoe

ZamoJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, replacing the pads is the easiest option. We never did, we live with the clunk. :)
if I were to replace the brake pads, what’s to prevent the new ones from doing the same shift?

And is it all four sets of pads or just the front, or just the back?

jhelrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I would verify the noise first. Walked along the vehicle as someone else drives it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ZamoJoe

ZamoJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I would verify the noise first. Walked along the vehicle as someone else drives it.
So you only heard the clunk when accelerating from a stop or parked?

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Do you have the auto-hold enabled?

Eighthtry

First Name
Boyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
I like to try the slip yoke first. It is always moving depending on the attitude of the suspension. I find it surprising that it would need greasing this early, but the driveshaft from the transmission to the rear end has lots of moving parts. You can always get underneath and twist and rattle the driveshaft to try to identify other problems, but I doubt that works even if you have a problem.

I am not familiar with the front 4 wheel drive connection.

U joints are another area that could be a problem. The clunk does not seem consistent with that problem unless literally the ubolts are loose and or missing.

The connection to the axle could be a problem. I think a torrington bearing is there and should be checked if the slip joint does not work. I have never experienced that problem.

Brake pads make no sense to me unless literally the wrong pad is on the brake. I am trying to visualize how that might work and cannot get there.

But I think it is the slip joint because you say the word "clunk".
Sponsored