First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost Hybrid
Occupation
IT Director
Of all the things to be concerned with this one never crossed my mind and most likely never will again once this post rolls off the recently active list
Sponsored

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford F150 Powerboost 7.2kw
Occupation
Studio truck driver
Never researched the design, but I've always "assumed" it's more complex than just the one flap. But you know what they say about that word.
Not being argumentative with you, but the fact that there's millions of repeats of a lazy or poorly designed component (aka cheaper) coming from a auto manufacturer doesn't win the debate in my mind. I just feel like we should have the option of locking our front door or leaving it open, it's an easy fix to lock the door, how much can it affect the price of a $70k truck?
Well I can tell you those of us that have a powerboost have locking fuel doors.

Sneezy

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
Lol, I think that speaks more about my age, than it does about your area. Don't think battery power tools was a thing yet when I was a teen. Wouldn't make a good criminal nowadays I guess...pretty messed up thing to do tho!
Yeah no kidding, I’d rather them just siphon the fuel than having to replace the fuel tank. Although on my previous E250 van I would get fuel siphoned about once a month having to park outside in the city. I had to take drastic action by drilling through the fuel door and putting a pad lock on it. It was an older beat up work van that I bought when I first started my business and the thieves would just take a screwdriver and hammer and smash my locking gas caps to bits. So I put a padlock on the door, then they drilled through the tank 🙄

Can you guess why I bought acreage out in the middle of nowhere 😂

Ford F-150 Capless gas filler cover? A1C816AB-1219-454A-ADE9-540289D1B89F

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I have always wondered "why"? In this day and age, no cap AND no locking door? Anyone can siphon our tank, or some mischievous teenager can put who knows what into our tank? Why are they asking for trouble for no logical reason?
There's a screen in the filler neck in most (all?) modern vehicles to prevent siphoning. It's all pointless anyway as others have posted, a thief will just drill a hole in the tank and drain it regardless of what you put on the fill port.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
I've had capless since 2008 (Mustang). Since, RAM (both gas and diesel) , Corvette, Camaro, GMC along with F150's. Never think about it until one of these threads comes up. Seems more of a worry with Ford owners for some reason.

Sponsored

parkerdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 f150 UNICORN (rcsb XLT co-pilot 360 assist 2.0)
Occupation
Keeper of the DOG and running with scissors.
I've had capless since 2008 (Mustang). Since, RAM (both gas and diesel) , Corvette, Camaro, GMC along with F150's. Never think about it until one of these threads comes up. Seems more of a worry with Ford owners for some reason.
I wonder if it's a "bought this truck that won't fit in my garage" thing? Kind of like catalytic converter theft. I keep hearing people talking about that but I don't know of anyone personally that it's happened to.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
I don't protect the gas if they want it they will get it. Same for my motorcycles the locking caps annoy me when I need to fuel up so they go away.

B-real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 3.5
I have always wondered "why"? In this day and age, no cap AND no locking door? Anyone can siphon our tank, or some mischievous teenager can put who knows what into our tank? Why are they asking for trouble for no logical reason?
People don’t siphon gas anymore. They simply drill a hole in your plastic gas tank and drain it. Way faster and easier than siphoning.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I thought on a Powerboost gas cap, is there not aa wire hanging down in the wheel well to open the cap if needed?

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
I thought on a Powerboost gas cap, is there not aa wire hanging down in the wheel well to open the cap if needed?
I read the same thing on here.

A lock is just to keep average Joe honest but a thief will still get what they want.

Sponsored

SumGuy

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 (perpetually on order)
Occupation
Drugs
It is one of my biggest gripes with this truck. No locking fuel door?! What the hell? It is easy and cheap insurance to keep others away from your fuel tank. True, it won’t stop the thieves from drilling the gas tank, but it keeps those wanting to add things like sugar to your fuel away.

most every car I’ve owned has had a lock on the fuel door that locks when the doors lock and unlocks with the drivers door.

cheap is the reason. Ford makes a decent quality rig, but they definitely cut lots of corners, and with the further value-engineering of the 2024+, I shudder to think what is being cut. I certainly won’t be buying another f150 at this point.

Last edited:

B17drvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 F150,14Fiesta ST,15 GT350,13 Boss 302,21Mach 1
Occupation
Pilot
It’s an EPA thing. Less fuel vapors escape with a capless system. The capless cost the manufacturer more than a capped system.

bushpilot

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 F150, 4x4, 3.5L, PB 7.2KW, Platinum
ACCOUNTANTS demanded this - engineers designed it!

While im not necessarily a fan, ive had no issues with it....and I not read where anyone has had an issue with it...the seal is TIGHT and no one has been able to successfully siphon gas from a car for YEARS (theyve been designing in "hose blockers" for years)!

Our '20 Expedition employs the same cap-less design and our '23 F150....and BOTH have access doors with SEALS, the F150 has a locking door.....that imo is an absolute PIA....having to always reach inside the truck to push the button (and then wait for the delayed opening).

no one needs a drill to steal gasoline - theyve just punch a holes in the PLASTIC tank!

Ian1643

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150
Occupation
Ret
How do you fill the tank from a gas can, under the cover there is a second cap which I don't seem to be able to wedge open with the spout of the gas can.