First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Occupation
Chief Operating Officer
Brought my 2021 F150 in for oil change and warranty work including BlueCruise update. Dealer said it would take 5-6 hours to complete, so I left my vehicle overnight. They have now fried 3 APIMs and are waiting on a 4th that is "on backorder due to the chip shortage." Truck has been at the dealer for 6 weeks. Have a case open with Ford corporate and with dealer and no traction. Was not able to get a loaner either claiming shortage there as well.
Suggested installation of next APIM to not include BlueCruise update and to downgrade software to previous version ( when I brought the truck in and it was running and driving perfectly) they say this isn't possible. What is the deal here? Am I alone in this scenario?
Sponsored

Pete6114

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2023 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Ford employee
I'm also waiting for a NEW UPDATED APIM, as are a bunch of others at my dealership alone. Dealers have been instructed by Ford to not install anymore APIM's till the new updated APIM"s are available. Dealer has no clue when that will be as Ford apparently wont tell.They wont install BlueCruise in mine since they'll have to do it again for the new APIM. Been waiting since end of last July to have things fixed in my Ford TOUGH F150

BRDVPRA

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 2021 Explorer ST
Occupation
Yep
Wait are you saying the APIM was already bad or that Ford fried them trying to update? What about you Pete6114, why are you waiting on a new APIM?

OP
OP

zgiebler

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Occupation
Chief Operating Officer
Wait are you saying the APIM was already bad or that Ford fried them trying to update? What about you Pete6114, why are you waiting on a new APIM?
They are stating that the BlueCruise update fried the APIM. I brought them a running, driving truck, so my assumption was that they fried it (or claimed to have fried it).

BRDVPRA

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 2021 Explorer ST
Occupation
Yep
They are stating that the BlueCruise update fried the APIM. I brought them a running, driving truck, so my assumption was that they fried it (or claimed to have fried it).
OK, I was wondering if all APIMs were needing to be replaced, etc. Sorry to hear this.

Sponsored

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
99.999% the APIM is fine. The dealers are woefully under trained on module updates. There are plenty of success stories of members of this forum buying the adapter and software license and updating their trucks after multiple dealer failures including dealer APIM replacements.

Kidder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 3.5EB SCREW 157"
My truck was in service for a long time and Ford agreed to reimburse me for a rental car. I would contact Customer Care to get that set up. The dealer had no loaners.

Pete6114

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2023 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Ford employee
I've been dealing with multiple issues during the first 11 month of ownership, of which most are caused by a faulty APIM, according to the service manager. To many things continue to be powered up after shutting the truck off, causing the battery to get weaker and weaker over time, causing issues. You can hear noises as things are shutting down if you stay near the truck for an hour after you shut it down. I wasn't told this, but i'm thinking that the new generation or updated APIM's are shutting things down quicker to stop draining the batteries. Those "bad" APIM's may not show up for everybody, especially if you drive a lot and the battery gets charged . If you're retired like me, one trip to the nearest larger town per week and a short drive each day would apparently not be enough to keep the battery topped off. Never been i problem before till this 2021 truck

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I honestly don't believe they are "frying" APIMs
The FDRS thread has example after example of so-called declared "faulty APIM" that magically repair themselves after they are successfully updated by the members of this forum.

OP
OP

zgiebler

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Occupation
Chief Operating Officer
I honestly don't believe they are "frying" APIMs
The FDRS thread has example after example of so-called declared "faulty APIM" that magically repair themselves after they are successfully updated by the members of this forum.
They stated that the APIM wasn't powering on the screen which is why it was replaced. Now with a new APIM the screen powers on but only has radio functionality (no navigation, no Bluetooth, just the presets... can't even toggle between FM and AM.) I'm thinking I install the original APIM and update the module?

Dat1Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
03.F350;05.STi;89.HMMWV;17.WRX;19.Accord;21.F150
Occupation
Smooth Brain 🧠
Reminds me of my 1st year of having my PB.

Your APIM isn't fried, what you are describing sounds like the outcome of a misconfig of the AsBuild loaded after APIM replacement.
Sponsored