• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Best Exterior Truck Cover (Not Tonneau)

flashtek

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150
Anyone ever have any luck finding just a decent cover? Lots of construction in my area and the dust is horrible. (Already have two cars in the garage, plus pretty sure mine wouldn't fit). Seems like it should be a simple task but the prices are from $60 to $400. They are probably the same item. Just want something simple to put on after a wash and maybe keep it clean for an extra day.
Sponsored

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
I have gotten car covers for my Pontiac Solstice for the past 12 years. My last was the Covercraft "Evolution" line (they don't have it currently for the F150 or it was discontinued). I like it well enough.

One thing to note is that at least here in FL, The sun eats them up. I think I go through a car cover every 2-4 years. I also park it under a temporary car port (No garage here, and saving up for a proper carport to be added to the front of the house). The car itself has held up well and I would rather the car cover get all tore up from the sun than the car itself.

I've also used the covercraft Sunbrella one in the past. It doesn't have the best breathability, but for everything else it is solid.

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
Isn't it annoying taking blankets on and off your car everyday? Do you have enough room for one of those car tent things?

Ford F-150 Lightning Best Exterior Truck Cover (Not Tonneau) Screenshot_20220406-132323_Chrome

flashtek

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150
Isn't it annoying taking blankets on and off your car everyday? Do you have enough room for one of those car tent things?

Screenshot_20220406-132323_Chrome.jpg
Room Vs. HOA? LOL And you can add Wife in there too! I'm just glad you didn't say "Park it in the Garage"! I have one, it has two cars in it and my truck won't fit. I've tried. Currently only covering my truck on nights it gets washed, sprinker night and if you live in Texas right now, the Pollen is CRAZY! Have put it on by myself but will add a rope or something to help that soon. Taking it off is easy... no way to store it back in the bag they send... ever, ever, ever again. May get a cover for my cover. Dang it!!! $$$$$

• Haha
Reactions: GDN

Sponsored
OP
OP
Sdctcher

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
My research found that a full truck cover will need not be Lightning-Specific since all exterior measurements are identical.

There are at least three retailers online that sell what appears to be the same product under different names:

Car Cover.Com - Gold Shield 5L On Sale
$189.99 + Free Shipping
Get an additional 15% Off - "CM15"

Car Auto Covers - On Sale
$179.99 + Free Shipping
Get an Additional 10% Off "PD10" (-$18.00) - No Sales Tax

Cover Everything.Com - WeatherFit™ Platinum Truck Cover
$159.50 + Free Shipping

But Care Auto Covers seems to have the Least Bad Reviews and Highest Recent Reviews.

https://www.carautocovers.com/ford/f-150/2022/supercrew-pickup-5-5-feet-bed.html

This cover is Composed of five (5) layers: three (3) bonded layers of polypropylene + one (1) layer of micro-porous film + one (1) layer of soft fleece lining.

Reinforced ultrasonic welded seams for a 100% waterproof and water-resistant experience.

Micro-porous film layer allowing your car to breathe easily
Fully protects from extreme weather conditions such as snow, ice, rain, sun and strong wind.

Guards your vehicle from tree sap, dust, dirt, and other harmful pollutants.

UV treated to resist the sun's harmful rays
Reduces heat based damage.

Non-scratch tie down grommets for windy conditions or added security when paired with our Cable Lock Kit.

Front and rear elastic hems ensure a snug, custom fit
Install or remove in under 1 minute.

FREE cable lock kit, storage bag, antenna patch, and replacement grommets.

Although it is form-fitting (not around mirrors) I would expect it to sag over the bed when rained or snowed upon (good reason to also buy a tonneau cover). They supply a patch kit where you create a hole for the antenna. In parts of the country where UV light is highest I would expect this outside cover to last up to five years.

The other alternatives I researched (Covercraft/WeatherTec) were $500+ and were more Waterproof than Water-Resistant and less Moitsure-Wicking from the truck surface.

I plan to order this but has anyone found something better?

OP
OP
Sdctcher

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EV Gypsy
I bought a 2022 F150L Truck Cover (Not Tonneau) at:

https://www.carcoversfactory.com/

Premium Edition Truck Cover
- Year: 2022
- Make: Ford
- Model: F-150
- Body: Super Crew Cab with 5.7ft Extra Short Bed

$170.96 after $19.00 Coupon (SAVE10)

About 12 Lbs.
Seven Layers
Gray
Feels Heavy Enough to deflect most hail from my Lariat Moonroof
Light Fleece Under Layer
Breathable

Tips:
Antenna - Solution #1 is to detach the antenna from the truck, place the cover over the truck, and make a small hole in the new cover at the antenna site. Then place a small cheap patch (included with purchase) on the cover.

Solution #2 is instead of the patch buy "Snap & Tap Plastic Grommets" from Walmart or Ace Hardware.

My Solution #3 is to leave the cover as is and simply carry a small wrench in a baggie with the cover and take an extra 30 seconds every time to unscrew the antenna and lay on the windshield under the cover. In my life my truck is under cover days at a time and not for short periods unless I see weather coming.

Solution #4 might be to buy a replacement "Shorty" antenna that could remain erect under the cover but in my case (being in a rural location) I need maximum gain on the antenna for reception.

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Thanks for the info! How easy is it for one person to throw on? I’lol just use it when there is snow or hail forecast probably.

OP
OP
Sdctcher

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EV Gypsy
I will not use it until next week after Lightning delivery. I then can post pics.

But it is more a factor of person height than bulk. It advises to throw middle of cover over the cab first then spread to the front and then the rear. I believe a taller person would have an easier time of this (I am 6' 3"). At about 10-12 lbs. it is not that heavy.

I, too, will use a lot in snowy/rainy. I may have to construct some temp side-to-side rails on the bed to keep snow/rain from pooling - or reach deep in my pockets for a solid tonneau cover.

Sponsored

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
I’m 6 even but over the cab first makes sense. I purchased the BAK 4xs rolling tonneau so I hope that can hold the weight of the snow. Got the tonneau for $885 and they have a $150 rebate through July.

OP
OP
Sdctcher

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EV Gypsy
I hear all you City Folk saying just put in my garage (I call mine a "Barn" full of dusty hay, seed, and grain) or get out the hose and wash down in my driveway (My well water is chuck full of limestone particles and my "driveway" is a muddy pasture). I live in a slightly different universe than you all.

My concerns about needing a cover are:

#1 - Hail - Live in an active Hail/Thunderstorm Zone
#2 - Pollen - Live in a Forest/Farmland
#3 - Acid Rain - Live Downwind from Coal Plants
#4 - Dust - Live at end of 1/2 mile dirt driveway and many rural dusty roads around me
#5 - Animals - I have many feral cats that love to sleep on my vehicle Roofs/Hoods, and goats and horses that stray and try to rub (But, thank God, No Rammin' Rams)

mklcolvin

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Honda Insight, 2022 Lightning Lariat LR
Occupation
Retired; Former Systems Engineer
I bought a 2022 F150L Truck Cover (Not Tonneau) at:

https://www.carcoversfactory.com/

Premium Edition Truck Cover
- Year: 2022
- Make: Ford
- Model: F-150
- Body: Super Crew Cab with 5.7ft Extra Short Bed

$170.96 after $19.00 Coupon (SAVE10)

About 12 Lbs.
Seven Layers
Gray
Feels Heavy Enough to deflect most hail from my Lariat Moonroof
Light Fleece Under Layer
Breathable

Tips:
Antenna - Solution #1 is to detach the antenna from the truck, place the cover over the truck, and make a small hole in the new cover at the antenna site. Then place a small cheap patch (included with purchase) on the cover.

Solution #2 is instead of the patch buy "Snap & Tap Plastic Grommets" from Walmart or Ace Hardware.

My Solution #3 is to leave the cover as is and simply carry a small wrench in a baggie with the cover and take an extra 30 seconds every time to unscrew the antenna and lay on the windshield under the cover. In my life my truck is under cover days at a time and not for short periods unless I see weather coming.

Solution #4 might be to buy a replacement "Shorty" antenna that could remain erect under the cover but in my case (being in a rural location) I need maximum gain on the antenna for reception.
I'm looking for something similar. Did you go with this cover? How did it work for you? Any regrets or things that pleased you about this cover? Would you have gone with another? I'm also looking at this one: https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-W...fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc&th=1

OP
OP
Sdctcher

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EV Gypsy
Been on for several thousand miles and months and super satisfied. No Leaks and stays in place in winds. :)

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
Been on for several thousand miles and months and super satisfied. No Leaks and stays in place in winds. :)

Cover I use from Amazon, Seazen 240" (largest), since Nov'22. See reviews here (search for "lightning" for my review w some pictures):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08J4BFLKB/
I expect the SoCal sun will beat it up this summer, but maybe i will get lucky and get 2 years out of it. Let us know if CarCoversFactory covers show no wear in the sun--looks like you got the lifetime warranty one.
Sponsored