First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Occupation
Business Systems Analyst
when traveling with our dogs, I'm putting the kennels in the back seat floor. However, I would like to have some kind of riser or storage container that the kennels would sit on top of. This increases our inside storage and by being underneath the kennel, can't be seen.

I want it to cover most of the the back seat floor if possible.

Has anyone seen anything like that or built something. It doesn't have to be fancy.
Thanks
Cindy
Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Tip: google "pickup back seat bed platform" and search the images for lots of inspirational ideas from simple to complex; you just happen to want it for kennels rather than a sleeping surface. With very basic woodcraft skills it's easy to do this, tailored to your specific wants / needs.

Some other tips, just for your consideration ....
  • Often you can get Home Depot or Lowes to cut a sheet of plywood to your specific rectangular dimensions to fit the space in your SCREW or SCAB.
  • You might consider using something like carpet on whole the platform wrapped over the edges, or strips of scrap carpet just on the edges, or split foam pipe insulation from the plumbing department fit over the edges to prevent scratching / damage to your interior trim / front seat-backs / folded rear seat bottom (tack in place or use a glue like Contact Cement)
  • The elevating 'legs' can be wood posts (e.g. 2x2), or ripped strips of plywood, or solid 3/4" boards turned on edge, to get whatever height you want; and these supports don't need to be flush with the edges of the platform if that's not convenient (think about clearance you may need to tilt the platform making it easier to install / remove). You can use metal 'angle brackets' from the hardware department to reinforce the supports whether post or plywood / boards.
  • Cardboard mock-ups can be very helpful for designing / fitting a project like this before buying and cutting wood. I'd strongly recommend that, find big boxes to cut-up or if needed tape some together in multiple layers to make a full-size mock-up / pattern for your platform. It's much easier to 'play with cardboard' to get the size and shape of such 'just right' and then work with wood only once knowing it'll fit as expected based on your mock-up / pattern.
Have Fun!

Last edited:

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
when traveling with our dogs, I'm putting the kennels in the back seat floor. However, I would like to have some kind of riser or storage container that the kennels would sit on top of. This increases our inside storage and by being underneath the kennel, can't be seen.

I want it to cover most of the the back seat floor if possible.

Has anyone seen anything like that or built something. It doesn't have to be fancy.
Thanks
Cindy
My father made a platform with plywood like Buyer above talks about. He needed something for his tiny Dashound (sic) to be able to get from the front to the back without jumping. It went across the center console of the SUV to the back. He stored everything except her travel cage underneath. It was like her own little playground and made it easy for her to look out the windows for hours.

It may not have been some 3rd party "pretty" piece, but it worked great. You could even cut a couple of pieces out of the centers on the sides and make a little lift up door to get in for "hidden" storage.

Good luck with your search or project and let us know how you make out.

On another note there are products like this: Velcro Tech Panel - Rear Seat Back Kit | Ford Bronco Sport (2021+) - BuiltRight Industries that will give you vertical storage. This is not for an F-150 but this company makes a lot of Molle plate and Molle type fastening products for the back of the seats.

SteveJ2477

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XL STX
Contact Truck Vault, great quality & customer service. One shop on west coast, one shop on east coast.
Sponsored