Aux battery replacement

LouDog

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21’ Lariat Powerboost
Replaced my main 12v battery a few weeks ago and was wondering about replacing the aux 12v battery. Is there a benefit to them being about the same age because they are wired in parallel?

I have a 21’ powerboost lariat.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
A good question.
I think I would test it myself similar to the AGM.
Or put another way, I'd take it out of the truck and see if it has a decent resting state SOC. It's a 12V battery and should be considered one similarly to any other 12V battery.

However, it serves a very specific mission, according to the documentation. It's job is to momentarily provide 12V current to the entire electronics side of the truck, while the AGM is isolated from that portion of the truck. (for the heavy work of turning over the starter)

So in that context, I personally would like to see the battery rest with some nice headroom above 12V. And it'd be nice to see how well it could handle a few seconds of a 20-30amp hit? Can it stay above 12V getting slapped?

OP
OP
LouDog

LouDog

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21’ Lariat Powerboost
A good question.
I think I would test it myself similar to the AGM.
Or put another way, I'd take it out of the truck and see if it has a decent resting state SOC. It's a 12V battery and should be considered one similarly to any other 12V battery.

However, it serves a very specific mission, according to the documentation. It's job is to momentarily provide 12V current to the entire electronics side of the truck, while the AGM is isolated from that portion of the truck. (for the heavy work of turning over the starter)

So in that context, I personally would like to see the battery rest with some nice headroom above 12V. And it'd be nice to see how well it could handle a few seconds of a 20-30amp hit? Can it stay above 12V getting slapped?
appreciate the response. I’ll pull it out and see what voltages I get.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
appreciate the response. I’ll pull it out and see what voltages I get.
Come back and let us know. That is a good question and would be great to see your results. The OCD in me tells me to just change them both at the same time but that may be totally unnecessary.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
The OCD in me tells me to just change them both at the same time but that may be totally unnecessary.
Your inner OCD and mine think alike.

Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Remember the 12V air compressors that got as hot as a gun barrel that we used before the PB changed everything? That would make a good load bank for testing.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
The issue is that batteries don't like to just sit... And that's what the Aux battery does. I suspect the current draw on it when starting the engine isolates the main battery is relatively low, a few amps intended to keep the memory and a few key circuits alive. There is no reason a battery cannot go some 8 years, but for most that's a real reach. What I intend to do is alternate replacing one and then the other. Likely on a 4 or 5 year cycle.
Sponsored