Anyone else have weak wipers?

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Today when I was driving I hit the brakes coming to a light and some melted snow came off my roof onto the windshield. Not a ton but a decent amount. I was very shocked when the windshield wipers failed to lift the snow and I had to pull over and wipe it off. We aren’t talking much snow here. I noticed the wipers also failed one morning when I remote started it with some light wet snow in the morning. Sort of a minor inconvenience but definitely stands out to me.
Sponsored

Last edited:

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
Was the snow wet and heavy and not break up when it hit the wipers? I have seen other vehicles come to a stop and have snow slide off onto the windshield. Their wipers wouldn't move it either. I would also suggest that you don't leave your wipers on when you park. If they were frozen and you remote start your truck, it could damage them.

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
I would suspect the 2023s aren't impacted, but there is a windshield wiper motor recall on some 21s and 22s. Not sure the symptoms, but maybe weak movement is one of them?

Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 XLT 302A/2022 F150 Tremor 402A
Occupation
The guy that everyone b*&%ches to at work...
In my neck of the woods, I had snow today, rain followed by snow followed by rain. No way in heck I was going to test the motor strength. I did, however, watch several people on the road remove the snow by using their brakes. No wipers worked to remove it. It’s not weak wipers, it’s lazy owners.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Was the snow wet and heavy and not break up when it hit the wipers? I have seen other vehicles come to a stop and have snow slide off onto the windshield. Their wipers wouldn't move it either. I would also suggest that you don't leave your wipers on when you park. If they were frozen and you remote start your truck, it could damage them.
It was definitely wet snow, but there wasn’t so much to where I thought the wipers wouldn’t push it out. It just kind of settled on top of them and left wet salty streaks, so when the wipers wouldn’t come up I couldn’t see well. Dunno, just seems unusual to me I’ve never had a vehicle do that. I was wondering if they have some new safety on the motors maybe.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
I got an idea when I was putting a new VCT solenoid in my 2007 Expedition this morning to compare the two. The Expedition has been sitting for months and has not been started in 30 days. Covered in snow. The wipers whipped all the heavy snow off to the drivers side with no problem. Also comparing the two at full speed with nothing on the window, the Expeditions wipers move significantly faster and whip water away stronger. These new ones are definitely significantly weaker.

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
In my neck of the woods, I had snow today, rain followed by snow followed by rain. No way in heck I was going to test the motor strength. I did, however, watch several people on the road remove the snow by using their brakes. No wipers worked to remove it. It’s not weak wipers, it’s lazy owners.
Even worse when they remove it by getting on the freeway. SMH.

m_bt54

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost Hybrid
Occupation
IT Director
The snow was too heavy here for any vehicles wipers to move it. In MA if you drive with snow on the top of your vehicle like that you will get pulled over and given a $240 fine for impeded operation and unsecured load

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
jeez tough crowd here today lol. I always wipe off my truck roof, if you lived in the snow belt you’d know often times our roofs are solid ice at the beginning of the day. I’m not chipping ice off of brand new paint. Some snow always sticks to that ice that can’t be removed with a brush. It melts and turns into a wet slush/ice mix. Sometimes that falls off forward or back when you hit the brakes. We aren’t talking an avalanche here. A trooper would have never even batted an eye at the amount that was up there.

Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Buy a brush with a squeegee on the other side, then you can clean off snow that is partially frozen. Living in PA/NJ, I've never had to drive with more than a very thin layer of ice on the vehicle where it melted and froze. That was even with having only a brush available at times. It may take an extra 5-10 minutes, but you avoid an avalanche onto the windshield or projectiles flying at other cars around you.

I know people who have stripped their wiper linkages trying to clear just 1-2" of wet snow. Even if they can clear it, it's not something that they should be doing.

snyce1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' F150PB PLATINUM, 17'Escape, 15'expeditionEL
Today when I was driving I hit the brakes coming to a light and some melted snow came off my roof onto the windshield. Not a ton but a decent amount. I was very shocked when the windshield wipers failed to lift the snow and I had to pull over and wipe it off. We aren’t talking much snow here. I noticed the wipers also failed one morning when I remote started it with some light wet snow in the morning. Sort of a minor inconvenience but definitely stands out to me.
Im quite happy w my 21 PB . As some know i was frustrated for 15 mos w my generator failing when wet . Shorted out . Finally solved that . I always saw the best in the truck so now its a long term keeper to use when i cant drive my other RWD car .

That said. I was never impressed with the wipers .
Also i have recieved recall notice but have yet to be notified that parts are in for the fix . Apparently issue is that the windshield wiper motor may become inoperative, or cause the wipers to operate erratically and/or stop working. So it goes...
Ford F-150 Anyone else have weak wipers? 20230305_145005

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Im quite happy w my 21 PB . As some know i was frustrated for 15 mos w my generator failing when wet . Shorted out . Finally solved that . I always saw the best in the truck so now its a long term keeper to use when i cant drive my other RWD car .

That said. I was never impressed with the wipers .
Also i have recieved recall notice but have yet to be notified that parts are in for the fix . Apparently issue is that the windshield wiper motor may become inoperative, or cause the wipers to operate erratically and/or stop working. So it goes...
20230305_145005.jpg
I drove through the marina I keep my boat at to look at mine under the wrap today and a guy on the next dock over from me was walking his dog down there, he has a 22 Lariat PowerBoost. I asked him about the wipers he said he hates them and they suck compared to his last 2014. I guess this settles it, I’m not alone. He went so far as to call them pathetic LOL! It’s not a huge deal, but a bit disappointing, I really have my doubts that these can keep up in pouring rain after comparing to my old Expedition. These seem about 20% slower at full go.

Last edited:

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
Well, I park in my garage so I never have snow to clear off and they work just fine. 🤷‍♂️

I also use RainX and don't really ever have the need to run mine on the highest setting.

bfastr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch 5.0 V8
I drove through the marina I keep my boat at to look at mine under the wrap today and a guy on the next dock over from me was walking his dog down there, he has a 22 Lariat PowerBoost. I asked him about the wipers he said he hates them and they suck compared to his last 2014. I guess this settles it, I’m not alone. He went so far as to call them pathetic LOL! It’s not a huge deal, but a bit disappointing, I really have my doubts that these can keep up in pouring rain after comparing to my old Expedition. These seem about 20% slower at full go.

yes, new wipers are wimpy. Dont know about snow, but they dont compare to wipers in the good old days. brings back memories as a kid, we would squirt a bunch of washer fluid onto the windshield and then hit the wipers on high speed, it would fling water 20 feet up onto the sidewalk and soak anyone standing there. we were kids... what can I say.
Sponsored