First Name
Rolf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Chev Bolt, '21 Jayco 184BS, '23 xlt super cre
Occupation
Retired AME
I scaled my 2023 XLT powerboost Super crew with max tow package. GVW is 7300 LBS 3334KG for us Canadians. Payload is 749KG 1652 LBS

Truck came in at
1330KG front with max of 1701KG on label
1530KG rear with tongue weight on the scale. The rear axle max is 1882KG on label
Trailer came in at
330KG trailer tongue
1720KG trailer axle
Trailer is at Gross weight load ready for trip with potable water tank full.

A build chart I've seen shows that my truck build configuration allows a 4080KG max trailer weight for an all up weight of 7300KG
Is 4080KG the max all up weight allowed? Or is the max all up weight the sum of max GVWR of truck and max GVWR of the trailer?
Please note I have another 300KG of payload factored in.
Thoughts?
Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
A build chart I've seen shows that my truck build configuration allows a 4080KG max trailer weight for an all up weight of 7300KG
Tables in the Trailer Towing Guide typically provide two numbers for a given truck configuration:

GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) - This is the Rated maximum weight of the entire rig when loaded for travel including vehicle occupants with full tank of fuel. IOW, when fully loaded with trailer hitched and all occupants on board, the sum of all truck and trailer axle scale weights.

Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight - This is the theoretical maximum weight of the loaded trailer alone (sum of actual trailer axle weight plus actual trailer tongue weight). But, the actual Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight should not cause any other weight Rating to be exceeded (e.g GVWR, GCWR, nor either truck Axle Weight Rating, nor truck 'payload rating').

It is not terribly uncommon to find that a total rig with a trailer actual weight = to the theoretical (table value) Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight causes one or more of the other truck Weight Ratings (e.g. truck 'payload') to be exceeded. In that case you should not actually tow the table value (theoretical) Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight; IOW you are limited by some other vehicle weight Rating. This possibility is reflected / 'warned' in the header note on the Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight table in the towing guide: "Towing capability will be reduced based on trim series, option content and payload."

One way to look at it is that all of the truck's sticker Weight Ratings, 'payload', and table GCWR are 'hard' numbers, none which should ever be exceeded (according to Ford). The table value Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight is a 'soft' number which may not be actually achievable for all configurations of rigs (according to Ford).

I'm avoiding comment on the basis of "according to Ford" or the real-world consequence of not complying with any of Ford's 'criteria'; just explaining how Ford wants you to interpret the various trailer towing weight data and criteria.

Last edited:

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
You have the GVWR listed on your door sticker and the max tow rating with and without WDH sticker on your hitch underneath.
Mine is #7350 GVWR like all PowerBoosts, and #11,600 with WDH is my max tow rating.

Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
330KG trailer tongue
This derived by weighing the truck without trailer, then weighing the truck with trailer hitched, and comparing the sum of both truck front and rear axle weights?

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
ou have the GVWR listed on your door sticker and the max tow rating with and without WDH sticker on your hitch underneath.
Mine is #7350 GVWR like all PowerBoosts, and #11,600 with WDH is my max tow rating.
Caution - the sticker on the hitch receiver is only the hitch receiver rating.

DO NOT confuse hitch receiver ratings with vehicle max tow rating which will often be less than the maximum receiver rating.

Example -

My receiver sticker shows a max WDH trailer weight of 14,000# and my truck GVWR is 7,050#.

Not only does 14,000# exceed my truck's table value Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight, if I add those I get 21,050# which far exceeds my truck's GCWR.

Last edited:
OP
OP

RomeoZulu

First Name
Rolf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AME
Buyer 2021, your reply is spot on concise information.
I may move some of the trailers payload into the empty box. The tongue weight is a little high at 330KG as measured unhooked on the scale. I have payload room in the truck.
The Jayco 184bs axle gvwr is ~1600KG give or take 50KG

OP
OP

RomeoZulu

First Name
Rolf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AME
This derived by weighing the truck without trailer, then weighing the truck with trailer hitched, and comparing the sum of both truck front and rear axle weights?
I unhooked the trailer and placed the tongue jack on the scale.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
So as weighed your actual trailer weight is 330 tongue + 1720 axle = 2050 actual loaded trailer weight

I may move some of the trailers payload into the empty box. The tongue weight is a little high at 330KG as measured unhooked on the scale. I have payload room in the truck.
The Jayco 184bs axle gvwr is ~1600KG give or take 50KG
Your trailer should have a sticker giving its GTWR (Gross Trailer Weight Rating); compare that to your actual tongue+axle weight (2050)

Your trailer sticker should also provide the axle weight rating which is not a 'give or take' number (compare to your actual axle-only weight, 1720)

At 330 tongue weight and 2050 total trailer weight you have 16% of the total trailer weight on the tongue, which IMO is a good number to minimize the inherent risk of trailer sway.

But if you are exceeding the trailer axle weight rating, then yeah, some weight shifting may be appropriate.

As you shift cargo from trailer to truck, take care to ensure the end result yields at least 10% of the revised total trailer weight on the tongue (and more is better within all limits considered, IMO).

Insofar as tongue weight IME the more the better to ensure prevention of inherent trailer sway; use of a so-called sway-prevention device / hitch does not alter this equation.

Note too that all of this should be with the trailer 'level' when hitched. You should always measure tongue weight with the trailer at the angle / attitude is has when hitched. If your trailer is nose-low (ball too low) that will increase your tongue weight all other things being equal, and vice-versa (this does not apply to trailers having tandem 'rubber torsion' axles, but does apply to all single-axle trailers and tandem axle trailers with leaf-springs and center 'spring equalizer').

Last edited:

Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Caution - the sticker on the hitch receiver is only the hitch receiver rating.

DO NOT confuse hitch receiver ratings with vehicle max tow rating which will often be less than the maximum receiver rating.

Example -

My receiver sticker shows a max WDH trailer weight of 14,000# and my truck GVWR is 7,050#.

Not only does 14,000# exceed my truck's table value Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight, if I add those I get 21,050# which far exceeds my truck's GCWR.
Where is the Gross Combined Weight Rating placard located? Where is the “Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight” listed?

Northguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT, 2010 F150 XLT
I scaled my 2023 XLT powerboost Super crew with max tow package. GVW is 7300 LBS 3334KG for us Canadians. Payload is 749KG 1652 LBS

Truck came in at
1330KG front with max of 1701KG on label
1530KG rear with tongue weight on the scale. The rear axle max is 1882KG on label
Trailer came in at
330KG trailer tongue
1720KG trailer axle
Trailer is at Gross weight load ready for trip with potable water tank full.

Is 4080KG the max all up weight allowed? Or is the max all up weight the sum of max GVWR of truck and max GVWR of the trailer?
Please note I have another 300KG of payload factored in.
Thoughts?
I think you are missing the key constraint. Payload. You are also using kg and lbs.

Trailer tongue wt of 330kg is 725lbs
Your wdh will be roughly 100lbs

So tongue wt and hitch is 825 lbs

Your payload is 1652lbs

So you have 825 lbs room to put in the truck. You have to count all passengers, gears and any mods you have made ie bed cover etc against that 825lbs. 2 people will be fine but if u have 4 and maybe a dog you won't have much spare capacity.

Once you ensure you are staying under the payload then using the wdh you have to distribute the weight back and front but typically people max out against payload first.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
Where is the Gross Combined Weight Rating placard located? Where is the “Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight” listed?
Neither of those data are on a sticker on the vehicle.

Both are found in the Ford RV & Trailer Towing Guide (2022 model year attached FYI)

Attachments

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
Pulling info from the OP's posts and pics (and sticking with his native Canadian KG units) we find:
Ford F-150 another tow weight... weights

The scale weights with trailer hitched would inherently include the weight of his hitch and any aftermarket equipment installed on the truck.

Assuming the scale weights were with all occupants and normal gear in the truck itself, methinks he's fine insofar as all of the above, just needs to look at GCWR and Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight in the towing guide.

Seems his only likely concern is making some adjustments relating to the trailer axle weight rating, and he's got some room insofar as the truck capacities to do that.

Last edited:
OP
OP

RomeoZulu

First Name
Rolf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AME
I think you are missing the key constraint. Payload. You are also using kg and lbs.

Trailer tongue wt of 330kg is 725lbs
Your wdh will be roughly 100lbs

So tongue wt and hitch is 825 lbs

Your payload is 1652lbs

So you have 825 lbs room to put in the truck. You have to count all passengers, gears and any mods you have made ie bed cover etc against that 825lbs. 2 people will be fine but if u have 4 and maybe a dog you won't have much spare capacity.

Once you ensure you are staying under the payload then using the wdh you have to distribute the weight back and front but typically people max out against payload first.

To be clear, I rolled onto the scale and recorded truck front axle, truck rear axle and trailer axle. I reasoned payload of the truck to be flexible because the hitch weight is factored into the GCVW (the sum of all axle weights.) The truck's axle weights as weighed are within the max axle weight ratings.
The trailer axle weights are outside of the axle rating because the potable water tanks were full giving a weight reading of 1720 KG...With a re-weigh after drainin the tanks, the axle weight droped to 1610KG, still outside of the rated 1587KG. The combined tongue and axle weights are at the trailers GVWR. Clearly the trailer manufacture fudge the numbers, proven when I weighed the trailer as new completly empty at 1587 KG axle and 200 KG tongue. The trucks axle weights as measured allow me some transfer room to be legally safe.
As long as the weights transfered from the trailer don't cause the truck axle weights to be exceeded, i have a ggod idea where my setup stands.
Sponsored