Sponsored

2021 Powerboost w Max Tow and FX4 Hitch Weight

Kliza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I am looking at what TT I should be able to tow. I have never had to tow a TT before so I what to ensure I I am not getting one too big . I am looking at an Airstream Globetrotter 25' but this has a hitch weight of 885.

Assuming I have 4 people in the truck and some misc cargo in the bed (~600 lbs). I believe this only leaves me with ~621 lbs for the hitch weight based on a max payload of 1221.

Available Hitch Weight = Payload Weight Limit - Passengers - Cargo <--> (1221 - 500 - 100) = 621.

I know the Power Boost has the battery pack but I would think with the max tow package the max payload capacity would be a bit higher.

Are there other option packages that I have which lowered my payload capacity?

Powerboost 4x4 FX
Lariat Trim with Sport Appearance
502A
Max Tow
20" Dark Alloys

Ford F-150 2021 Powerboost w Max Tow and FX4 Hitch Weight IMG_1212 - Redacted
Ford F-150 2021 Powerboost w Max Tow and FX4 Hitch Weight IMG_1211 - Redacted
Sponsored

Last edited:

turbopilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Powerboost
I am looking at what TT I should be able to tow. I have never had to tow a TT before so I what to ensure I I am not getting one too big . I am looking at an Airstream Globetrotter 25' but this has a hitch weight of 885.

Assuming I have 4 people in the truck and some misc cargo in the bed (~600 lbs). I believe this only leaves me with ~621 lbs for the hitch weight based on a max payload of 1221.

Available Hitch Weight = Payload Weight Limit - Passengers - Cargo <--> (1221 - 500 - 100) = 621.

I know the Power Boost has the battery pack but I would think with the max tow package the max payload capacity would be a bit higher.

Powerboost 4x4 FX
502A
Max Tow
20" Dark Alloys

IMG_1212 - Redacted.jpg
IMG_1211 - Redacted.jpg
Your truck is really heavy for a Lariat. My Platinum PB has most of the options with 1,302 lbs of useful load.

In order to tow a Airstream Globetrotter 25 FBT with a loaded PowerBoost you have to be obsessive on weight control. Hauling 4 people is a stretch for cabin loading.

There are just two of us when we travel. The GlobeTrotter 25 FBT has a heavy tongue problem. It is short coupled with most of the storage foreword of the center of gravity. In order to get my fully loaded tongue weight down to 900lbs (the most I could take without going over the GVWR with two people onboard on the PowerBoost), I had to rip out the tongue mounted batteries and pull out all the propane equipment. The result is a very light GlobeTrotter with the center of gravity further aft lightening the tongue weight. Fully loaded with 900 lbs on the tongue of the GlobeTrotter I am running 12.5% of trailer weight on the tongue.

If you want to tow an Airstream 25 FBT and take 4 people you will need a lower trim PowerBoost with only the options necessary to tow. Even with that if you don't pull the propane equipment and move the batteries back into the trailer cabin you will have to give up using most of the storage space forward of the center of gravity or you will put too much weight on the tongue.

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
You’re going to laugh when you hear this….Max tow package reduces payload numbers while increasing tow numbers. And the PB will run out of GVWR long before tow capacity.

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
That is really a low payload for a Lariat. I have one on order currently and thought I'be be closer to 1500lbs based on what I've seen on other threads. If it shows up with only 1200 lbs, I may just walk away. My 2019 FX4 Lariat with Max tow and everything available for that year's Lariat except moon roof, is over 1700 lbs payload so I fugured I'd lose 200 lb with the powerboost. If I lose 500 lbs in payload, that just may be a deal breaker.

Thinking now how to reconfigure my TT to lessen the tongue weight; single battery (I have the ProPower available if no electrical hook-ups), move propane to inside cabin while towing, convert top bunk to storage so I can empty pass through storage in front of trailer...

Last edited:

12Lariat21

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502A
Occupation
Engineering Manager

Powerboost 4x4 FX
502A
Max Tow
20" Dark Alloys

IMG_1212 - Redacted.jpg
IMG_1211 - Redacted.jpg
I have a standard Lariat 502A, Sport, Max Tow, 20" Dark alloys, B&O unleashed, 36gal fuel, Super Crew, and 6.5' box (157")
My Payload is at 1696 lbs.

So your Power Boost, and FX4 packages are what are taking away most if not all your excess payload.

You're going to be stuck with selecting a trailer with a light enough hitch weight for your truck, and all the people and stuff you want to bring along. The only saving grace you might have is I believe the published hitch weight is with the trailer at max GVWR, so if you don't travel with it full of water, and limit additional cargo you bring along, it may be possible...but you'd want get that checked and verified.

Airstream's are neat, but they are big heavy pigs, and limit your cargo carring capacity within themselves too.

I have a ForestRiver TT with a hitch weight of 725, and a cargo capacity of around 1500 lbs compared to the 1200 lbs you get with the airstream.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Kliza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
You’re going to laugh when you hear this….Max tow package reduces payload numbers while increasing tow numbers. And the PB will run out of GVWR long before tow capacity.
Exactly what I found out. At the time I order the truck I was not planning on towing anything. I just wanted to have the extra assurance to have the package incase I needed it. Big lesson learned.

From what I can remember, when you order the truck you don't get a max payload number once you completed your configuration either.

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Exactly what I found out. At the time I order the truck I was not planning on towing anything. I just wanted to have the extra assurance to have the package incase I needed it. Big lesson learned.

From what I can remember, when you order the truck you don't get a max payload number once you completed your configuration either.
You must have a few other things you didn't mention like moon roof, bedliner, Unleashed, etc.. Here are my stickers from my 502A PB FX4 MaxTow SuperCrew; they're a bit better than yours:
Ford F-150 2021 Powerboost w Max Tow and FX4 Hitch Weight 502A Payload

Ford F-150 2021 Powerboost w Max Tow and FX4 Hitch Weight Weight Sticker 502A PB

OP
OP

Kliza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
You must have a few other things you didn't mention like moon roof, bedliner, Unleashed, etc.. Here are my stickers from my 502A PB FX4 MaxTow SuperCrew; they're a bit better than yours:
Yup, I went fully loaded, Moon roof, bedliner and bed cover :). Those 200 lbs makes a big difference.

hussar1683

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB (on order)

Powerboost 4x4 FX
502A
Max Tow
20" Dark Alloys

IMG_1212 - Redacted.jpg
IMG_1211 - Redacted.jpg
I get the paper legality issues and all of that good stuff. But let’s be real, it’s not like your wheels are gonna fall off because you just picked up an extra pax in your payload maxed out F150😂
If you can load up a minivan to 1400 lbs I think you can do it in a body on steel frame truck as well.
With that being said I, wouldn’t push it to much with the tongue weight but it should be fine with properly distributed weight of your pax/cargo in the truck.

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer

Sponsored

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
First thing you will learn about TT is the "tongue weight" they publish is not even in the ball park of what your real number is. That number they spec is the dry weight. So when adding propane, possibly 2nd battery, camping equipment, possible something in the tanks (fresh water or gray/black), wheel chocks, leveling blocks, tools, groceries, etc. coupled with the fact that for many trailer designs the larger storage compartments are in front of the trailer axle, you will find your actual tongue weight can be up to 1.5X the brochure number.

jofo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost 502A Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Engineer
Another interesting tidbit about PB and max tow. PB already comes with some of the max tow features, so paying for the option is a money grab for Ford. I understand that you already get the same rear locker and heavy duty bumper, plus a couple of other things that escape me. I bought mine off the lot, so I had not choice. But ordering max tow on a PB is redundant. Again, I stress that this is how I understand it based on what I read in these forums.

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Another interesting tidbit about PB and max tow. PB already comes with some of the max tow features, so paying for the option is a money grab for Ford. I understand that you already get the same rear locker and heavy duty bumper, plus a couple of other things that escape me. I bought mine off the lot, so I had not choice. But ordering max tow on a PB is redundant. Again, I stress that this is how I understand it based on what I read in these forums.
I believe you still get a heavier axle with the MaxTow...the one that has been snapping the bolt on the end....

Shooter56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Lawyer
2021 PB Lariat 501a equipment package and tow trailer package with factory bed liner and hard tonneau cover. 1441lbs max payload.

I tow a 2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2100BH. According to my Sherline tongue scale the tongue weight of the trailer as loaded for camping is right at 560. Trailer weighs 3860 empty. With 900 lbs of cargo it comes in at about 4760lbs loaded.

After me wife dog tools and extra water and WDH at 700 lbs I’m right up against my max payload and depending on what we bring with us there’s some shuffling of some items from truck to trailer to save payload. I would not be comfortable towing anything much bigger.

After seeing this post I’m reminded that I should check my tongue weight again this season as we have likely added a few things to the trailer cargo. A griddle here and an air compressor there and things add up quickly.

OP
OP

Kliza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
First thing you will learn about TT is the "tongue weight" they publish is not even in the ball park of what your real number is. That number they spec is the dry weight. So when adding propane, possibly 2nd battery, camping equipment, possible something in the tanks (fresh water or gray/black), wheel chocks, leveling blocks, tools, groceries, etc. coupled with the fact that for many trailer designs the larger storage compartments are in front of the trailer axle, you will find your actual tongue weight can be up to 1.5X the brochure number.
This is why I was not going by the manufacturers tongue weight (dry). I was looking at 10 to 15% of the GWVR for the trailer for best trailer handling.
Sponsored