Sponsored

Am I asking to much for my SUV trade-in?

solarity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
The dealer quoted me $700 to trade in my 2005 Acura MDX with 170k-ish miles on it. He mentioned I could get more for it, if I would sale it. My mechanic has one of their guys interested in it for $1,500. I saw ones on websites for about $3,000. I was asking for $2,500, though willing to settle for $2,000. It does have some small little things, i.e. rust in quarter panels and a couple other little things. The only big issue is the exhaust. It is loud and the CEL comes on with a 420 error in cold weather. It goes off in the summer. I just spent $600 on new rear brakes and calipers a couple months ago. The tires on it don't have many miles on it as covid and I carpool with my wife a lot. Should I take $1,500 or see if I can get more off Craigslist?
Sponsored

xXChartmanXx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Explorer, 2021 VW ID.4, 2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
CyberSecurity Engineer
The dealer quoted me $700 to trade in my 2005 Acura MDX with 170k-ish miles on it. He mentioned I could get more for it, if I would sale it. My mechanic has one of their guys interested in it for $1,500. I saw ones on websites for about $3,000. I was asking for $2,500, though willing to settle for $2,000. It does have some small little things, i.e. rust in quarter panels and a couple other little things. The only big issue is the exhaust. It is loud and the CEL comes on with a 420 error in cold weather. It goes off in the summer. I just spent $600 on new rear brakes and calipers a couple months ago. The tires on it don't have many miles on it as covid and I carpool with my wife a lot. Should I take $1,500 or see if I can get more off Craigslist?
I just sold my son's 2005 Honda Pilot (Poor man's Acura MDX) with 154,000 for $2000. Dealer was guessing around $1000-$1500. Had a love tap dent on the back fender, a scrape down the side panels, and the 2 front leather seats were torn. But its a Honda with less than 10,000 miles a year on it so someone will give you money for it. Got a small mom and pop dealer to give me $2000 without even haggling.

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PowerBoost FX4
With something that old with those miles, they'll take it on trade and it will go right to the auction. Or they have a few connections locally with used auto dealers who they'll sell it to and make a few bucks, but there isn't a ton of margin in an older vehicle at a retail dealership. Retail dealerships have a fair amount of overhead, so they'd prefer to keep vehicles on the lot which have more meat on the bone so to speak, unless they have acreage. A low margin car also still costs them the same in time/labor to work the sales and finance process. It really comes down to convenience for you and less about the money they'll give you for it.

OP
OP

solarity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
I just sold my son's 2005 Honda Pilot (Poor man's Acura MDX) with 154,000 for $2000. Dealer was guessing around $1000-$1500. Had a love tap dent on the back fender, a scrape down the side panels, and the 2 front leather seats were torn. But its a Honda with less than 10,000 miles a year on it so someone will give you money for it. Got a small mom and pop dealer to give me $2000 without even haggling.
Not bad at all. This will be my last Honda/Acura for a long time. It and other Honda vehicles from people I know don't seem to hold up all that well. My wife's Toyota has held up a lot better. More miles and a 2006. In all honesty I regret buying the MDX, should have got that new Silverado. It would have spent less and got more back in the long run. MDX: rebuilt tyranny, 2x starters, alternator, and radiator have been replaced. One cat and exhaust that still needs work. My wife's car has been a lot better. Mine also has a lot more rust.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
NY is brutal on cars driven in the winter. I remember customers would give mechanics I knew their old rusty Euro cars because nobody wanted them.

The worst thing about Honda is that they seem to give zero thought into maintenance. For some common maintenance, you need to take half the car apart.

You will definitely make more selling it yourself but then you have to deal with with weirdos, tire-kickers and scammers who will be offering half what you are asking anyway.

If it were me, I would tell the mechanic to have his guy come up with $1200, or try to get an even $1K from the dealership on trade-in.

Had it been a $7k car the dealer had offered $5k on, it’s an easier decision to make a private sale.

Sponsored

SBrentnall

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.daxiadigital.com
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Occupation
Digital Marketing
Not bad at all. This will be my last Honda/Acura for a long time. It and other Honda vehicles from people I know don't seem to hold up all that well. My wife's Toyota has held up a lot better. More miles and a 2006. In all honesty I regret buying the MDX, should have got that new Silverado. It would have spent less and got more back in the long run. MDX: rebuilt tyranny, 2x starters, alternator, and radiator have been replaced. One cat and exhaust that still needs work. My wife's car has been a lot better. Mine also has a lot more rust.
I have a 2007 Acura MDX with 180k miles, and I've never had a single thing go wrong with it. I've done all the routine maintenance, but that's all. I've replaced the shocks and brakes, plus the recommended water pump at 100k, but nothing else. And it still gleams like it's brand new. Zero rust, but I live in CA so probably nor a fair comparison.

OP
OP

solarity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
I have a 2007 Acura MDX with 180k miles, and I've never had a single thing go wrong with it. I've done all the routine maintenance, but that's all. I've replaced the shocks and brakes, plus the recommended water pump at 100k, but nothing else. And it still gleams like it's brand new. Zero rust, but I live in CA so probably nor a fair comparison.
To be honest, I am only getting the F-150 as AL doesn't rusts, else I would be shopping the other brands as well. I have no brand loyalty.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
You will still need to be vigilant and an oil based treatment is a very good idea. The frame on the F-150 and many critical parts are still steel, also, aluminum alloy will oxidize.

South Main Auto channel on YouTube is in upstate NY and has lots of suggestions for preserving a vehicle through the winter there. Coming from the region, every time I watch it, it makes me happy to be in the desert.

Platimatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 701
If it runs and will pass inspection/ emissions it’s worth at least $2k.

OP
OP

solarity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
You will still need to be vigilant and an oil based treatment is a very good idea. The frame on the F-150 and many critical parts are still steel, also, aluminum alloy will oxidize.

South Main Auto channel on YouTube is in upstate NY and has lots of suggestions for preserving a vehicle through the winter there. Coming from the region, every time I watch it, it makes me happy to be in the desert.
I plan to apply fluid film to it to the frame, etc. When I think about it, it is pretty stupid to live up here. The issue is I got tied down by a woman, when I was up here for college. I was raised in Texas.

As multitquotes seem broken, I have passed emission tests in mid winter by letting it sit. In summer it is fine. Though the exhaust has got louder and the CIL hasn't gone away since then. I looked under and I can see where a joint is failing between two parts of the muffler. I will see if I can fix it. I think the opening is impacting the sensors.
Sponsored