First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Poweboost
Occupation
Analytical Chemist
Pedaldude said: "Are the 20s really costing 40-60LB payload loss, or is it the associated additional accessories? "

Payload is GVWR (the engineer's determination of the maximum vehicle weight) minus the actual weight of the vehicle. Curb weight (empty except full fluids) is used as the baseline for the door sticker (GVWR-Curb weight). Remaining payload is GVWR-current weight of the vehicle (includes everything- passengers, cargo, etc.)
This has nothing to do with unsprung weight (please don't shoot the messenger).

I could not find the weights of the King Ranch 18" and 20" wheels, but I believe the tires for the 20" wheels were each around 8# heavier. My 2023 truck payload (1787#) was around 40# below my calculation. Of note, my payload of the brand new truck, empty with a full tank of gas, was 1850# on the CAT scales (give or take their accuracy).
No worries, I was just thinking for practical purposes it shouldn't effect payload- but it sounds like it does factor into how Ford calculates the payload for the sticker rating for the truck.
Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Pretty sure that they don’t care about sprung/unsprung weight at the DOT scales or the mobile enforcement vans/trucks that I’ve seen in my own city pulling over box trucks to weigh and check for compliance of commercial motor vehicle laws.

That being said, they’ll probably only be checking the weight of a half ton truck if you really messed up. Which in that case; you really want to be under every axle’s GAWR because again; they won’t be arguing about sprung/unsprung weight and arguably since the wheels are rotating mass, they’re going to make it harder to slow down if they’re heavier.

Also, while the live rear axle is unsprung weight. It still impacts on the wheel bearings, so when you get the 9.75” and HD9.75” axles; everything else being equal: Ford will subtract from the payload for the heavier axles versus the lighter 8.8” axle.

Again, not to mention plain old rolling weight also is taken into account when the factory determines payload and GVWR/GCWR. It’s not just for safety of other road users but also to make sure that the trucks drivetrain survives the warranty period. Which is one of the factors that I feel might be at play when looking at the lower Powerboost numbers.

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Tremor 402a
Occupation
Support Engineer
My Ford tracking page decided to work today.

Nothing new really, It was built as of 5/8, still awaiting shipment (that it says takes a week. lol) but I noticed that while the pic had the correct, 18" chrome 501a wheels, it also shows the 502a headlights.

I wanted those dynamic headlights but on the 2023s, per the build page, you had to go with 502a to get them but also, no way to keep the 18" wheels, on 502a.

I didn't want to give up the payload of the bigger wheels so, 501a was it.

Happy surprise, or partially wrong pic?
Personally I think you'll be dissapointed going with the 501a instead of the 502a. There are a few things you can't add after the fact.

Hopefully the extra payload capacity is the most important thing you need in a truck.

OP
OP
Davexxxx

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
Maxing payload is important and I reached my goal but other than the dynamic lights, I'm not thinking of anything I'll miss.

Got 4A, heated and ventilated seats, memory mirrors and seats.

Don't think I'll miss the power steering column, or heated back seats, rain sensing wipers and I definitely don't need a wireless charging pad.

Ordered the copilot separately.

Oh and saved thousands.

I think it'll be fine.

Last edited:

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Personally I think you'll be dissapointed going with the 501a instead of the 502a. There are a few things you can't add after the fact.

Hopefully the extra payload capacity is the most important thing you need in a truck.
Which 502 items cannot be added to a 501 after purchase?

Sponsored

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Support Engineer
Which 502 items cannot be added to a 501 after purchase?
2nd row heated seats
Power adjustable steering wheel
Heated steering wheel.
Power folding heated mirrors
Rain sensing wipers
Copliot 360 (not sure if that's an option on 501a.

Just seems like you get optioned to death if you try to make a 501a the same as 502a. Why not get it all from the factory.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
2nd row heated seats
Heated steering wheel.
Rain sensing wipers

Just seems like you get optioned to death if you try to make a 501a the same as 502a. Why not get it all from the factory.
I have personally added those top 3 items to my 501 Lariat and several others have added the other 3 items.

Mine came with power folding mirrors which I’m pretty sure comes on all Lariat models

rain sensing wipers come with co pilot assist 2.0 if that’s optioned. If it’s not it’s a very easy post sale addition.

co pilot assist 2.0 is definitely the hardest thing to add back. But it CAN all be added post sale

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Support Engineer
Still seems kind of silly to add it all manually and probably at a higher cost, when you can just get it from the factory that way.

I guess different strokes for different folks, do what makes you happy.

I feel like the OP must be having some regret otherwise why even make this thread.?

OP
OP
Davexxxx

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2nd row heated seats
Heated steering wheel.
Rain sensing wipers

For the last several months, the heated steering wheel is a delete for everyone but the 501a would have come with it if not. It also comes with the same mirrors as 502a. And you might try reading what I wrote. Co pilot 360 assist 2.0 is on the truck.

For the payload I gained and the thousands I saved, I don't have any regrets.

OP
OP
Davexxxx

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Earlier in the thread, it was asked about wheel and tire sizes as regards payload and effects of sprung weight.

It was correctly answered, that Ford defines payload as GVWR - Curb weight.

pg. 46

https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/...2023_Ford_RVandTrailerTowingGuide_r4_Mar1.pdf

" Payload is the combined maximum allowable weight of cargo and passengers that the vehicle is designed to carry. It is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating minus the Base Curb Weight. "

So, there is no doodad you can add, that will change "official payload" absent also getting re-certified by an outfitter. Lemme know if you find one and the cost per lb. gained.

As for the wheels and tires, at the bottom of pg. 24, you'll see a 40lb. difference between the 501a chrome package wheels and the 502a chromes. (This is the newest I know of)

https://madocumentupload.marketinga...201d1cadadd0f9dda860921822f9ad19a054&v5=False

Further up in the doc. where they spec the tires, they are TBA (To be announced?) So, I'm taking that as wheel weights only. Take your best guess for the tires.

There are some things that aren't listed at all. For those, I took consistent numbers quoted on the forums, or my best guesses. I came to within 10lbs. of the 1658lbs. Ford says my truck will hold, as per the towing calculator link in the "My Vehicle Dashboard" at Ford.com. (no yellow sticker yet)

The TT I plan to tow, is maxed out at 7,590 and while I don't anticipate reaching that weight or the full 15% of that (1,139) as tongue weight, payload considerations are obvious, especially when seeing others show payloads of their dream trucks, fall well short of their plans.

So, as regrets go, I can't think of a bigger one, than paying 60-70K, for a truck that won't do what you need, because you wanted bendy lights, or a moon roof, or what have you.
Sponsored